Where to Find 3D Model for Mamiya 645 Super/Pro Mirror Stop

bw1664886080

A dishonest seller lied about the condition of a Mamiya 645 Pro and sold me one with broken mirror stop. I have searched online to find a solution. It seems like to address the lack of parts issue, the solution is to 3D print the replacement part.

Can anybody provide some help to get 3D model(s) for this part?

I possibly have an old and cracked 645 Super mirror brake/rest. It's still in one piece - or was last time I saw it!

However my 645 Supers and Pro TL have given me nothing but grief since I bought them. They've proved to be one of the most unreliable and badly-made cameras I've ever owned; and I've had Kowa Sixes and Pentacon Sixes!

My advice would be to return the camera and look for an old metal M645 1000S. Mine are still going strong. Even if the foam light-traps need replacing, it's a relatively cheap and easy DIY job. Unlike trying to replace the dreadful plastic mirror rest on the Super/Pro/Pro-TL.

Other faults my placky Mamiyas suffered were: A loose solenoid that rendered it totally inoperative, distorted and cracked magazine mating plates, unreliable contact between magazine and body, etc, etc, etc.

Sell it or return it quick!

• Like 1

The plastic rest also has a fine-threaded adjuster screw in it. The screw is around 10 BA or 1.5mm or something like that. If you don't have the original screw and a suitable tap, I think you're wasting your time.

The replacement part supplied by Mamiya didn't come with the adjuster screw either. It had to be recovered from the broken mirror rest/brake.

I'll have a look for the one I replaced years ago, but it may have been lost. I've moved house since then.

Basically, the darn thing should have been made of metal in the first place!

The tensioning spring that's wrapped around the piece of plastic crap applies a constant bending force to it. It's almost guaranteed to snap eventually. Not just that, but extra force needs to be applied to fit the replacement. I was surprised and relieved that I managed to fit the replacement part without that breaking too.

Together with all the other faults that have cropped up on my two Supers and a ProTL, and the shoddy design of the film magazines; those plastic Mamiya 645s just aren't worth the risk.

Get shut I say.

• 1 year later...