Where to buy? (Part II)

sandy.

So I listened to you folks and placed my order with B&H. Gave them

all the information including credit card, address, phone numbers

etc. The response from these people was one of the rudest I have

ever come across with. Soooo arrogant.

I will never buy anything from these guy in the future.

Hope you have better luck.

I've never had a problem with either Adorama or KEH - 'course, I've always done the web shopping cart thing ... and only had to talk to a person once.

Closest I came to a customer service issue with Adorama - part of my order was for a used EX+ lens hood for an EF 24/2.8.

Got an e-mail asking me to call. The shade was apparently damaged, and the damage was caught on inspection when packing my stuff - the mount for the shade was damaged. I had to call to give authorization for a new one instead, which cost a few extra bucks.

On the one hand - I've bought a lot of stuff from them, if I was in there position and the price difference was just a few bucks (I think $5.00) I would have just done the substitution and ate the $5.00 as an expense. In my business I am willing to eat a lot more than that for customer service issues on my end, even with new customers - especially when the issue is clearly my fault and not theirs.

But on the other hand, I am really glad they caught the flaw before shipping the item to me.

KEH is just awesome - I've only dealt with them for used equipment though (purchase and selling) - never had to talk to a "live" person though.

I've not used B+H recently - not for any reason in particular, I just prefer Adorama's web site. Easier for me to navigate Adorama - but that just may be taste.

This story could just as easily started out "I called Adorama..." or any of the other New York photo stores. It's a New York specialty.

If you want a REAL fun time, call Marine Park Camera. They'll be rude, take your credit card number and never ship your equipment. Their slogan is "Like a walk in the park". More like a walk through hell.

B&H does exactly what their there for. They sell equipment at a good price and, at least in my experience in buying the last 5 years from them, they deliver darn fast. I think I've called them maybe once or twice. Everything else is online. If you buy in the morning or even by early afternoon it's almost always shipped out the same day.

One bonus to buying online with them is you can create an account and every order you ever place stays there for you to go back and reference if you ever need to run down an invoice or see what you paid and when you bought it. I went back and checked my purchase log while typing this. It lists everything I have bought from them going back to December of 2000.

Well, I did do the online procedure, but even with that, they have to "talk" to me and asked me for the phone messages they left on BOTH of my home phone, my work phone and my email. I was able to give them all the information they required except for the "work" phone messages. I was at home at the time and I could not retrieve that message. They turned me down by simply saying," You need to get the other message" for about ten times. Nothing that I said could change their mind. At the end, the guy simply said," We are going to cancel your order!!!" End of (his) story. I simply could not believe this. I have bought many things through the net for years, and this is the first time I had such a rude reception. Buyers beware, I suppose :-(

If you are going to buy expensive glass, I guess you should be comfortable and be happy with the customer experience.

Personally, I will put up with the attitude because when I get my package it will be exactly what I bought at the best prices online and if there is a problem they will take care of it.

Hope you get your lens soon. I hate waiting when I can finally pay for something :)

to quote Greg

"Their slogan is "Like a walk in the park". More like a walk through hell."

You're wrong.. It is like a walk in the park... Central Park... at night . .

Personally, I'm used to the attitude at B+H, but that's cause I'm a born and raised New Yorker.

Adorama for me. I love their customer service, and they have been more than willing to accomodate me when I have had to deal with them.

<i>Well, I did do the online procedure, but even with that, they have to "talk" to me and asked me for the phone messages they left on BOTH of my home phone, my work phone and my email.</i>

<br> <br>

I suspect it was a fraud prevention thing. If your address and/or phone number for your credit card were different than the ship to address, they definitely need to take that kind of precaution because of credit card chargebacks - they need to really make sure it was in fact you who authorized the purchase, or they could end up being out both the lens and the money.

<br> <br>

It does though sound like you got crappy customer service. That should not have happened.

Sorry about your experience though, it's unclear what happen as your story seems to leave something out. I do have to say some words for them though, as I think your "buyer beware" is not fair when talking about B&H.

If you placed your order online and they asked you to call them it would be a first. I tell you why:

1) if the billing address doesn't match or

2) if card is not accepted

the order simply doesn't go thru. No exception to this, it's an automated process.

If they called and left a message at work and you told them you weren't aware of it most likely it rang a bell with them, for YOUR protection. I don't know what prompted the call but, it seems some detail is missing from the story. I can tell you for a fact that in 12+ years (even before their website) I have been doing business with them all dealings have been smooth and professional.

I bought several thousand dollars of merchandise from them without a single problem. I have returned and/or exchanged quite a few items again, without problems. Often times I would call to ask about a specific item (new or used) and found them very accomodating and fast to deal with over the phone.

Okay, here is what we think is the missing piece. The credit was approved by Visa. The mailing address matches the credit card's. The Visa has a high six figures limit and it is not used to the limit. It is good until 2007. I used it for all of my internet purchases and never had a problem. I received the SAME confirmation code from B&H through their email confirmation, my home phone, and later on after I got back to work, the same code on my work phone, so I don't see any problem there.

I wanted the lens and so I was very polite to the person. But it was like talking to a communist court, I had an interrogation instead of a conversation. I am from the West Coast, so I can't excuse them because I called them too early in thier morning and disrupted their coffee break.

Bottom line, I was treated like a piece of crap. I told the person in no uncertain terms that he has an attitude problem, and he hung up on me. Very refreshing experience.

I have been buying from Glazer's in Seattle as well as Adorama, sometimes in person... All it takes is a phone call, and any equipment will be at my door step the next morning, free next day express delivery is always the courtesy of Glazer's. I had to go to B&H this time because Glazers does not have the EF70-300 DO IS USM in stock. After I told them what happened to me with B&H, they have arranged a Saturday delivery for me directly from Canon at no extra charge. Now that is what I called service. The only glitch in my purchase is that it will not bring photo.net any benefits. And that's the sad part!

Strange experince you had with B&H. I've bought two expensive lenses, a Digital Rebel, and some othe rmiscellaneous equipment ovevrr the last six months. I've never received a phone call, or had a hassle. Everything shipped quickly, and went smoothly.

Example, late last Sunday I placed an order for a 24-70 2.8L, a U/V filter and a remote. I selected two day air, since I wanted to make sure all was in for this weekend's festivities. The only "problem" was that the lens showed up at 10:30 am on Tuesday, a day earlier than expected, so I wasn't home to sign for it. Not a problem in my book really, the UPS pickup is 10 minutes from my house.

Same thing with the other stuff; ground shipping and the products are there in three days, etc. - they turn orders around fast.

Like B.J., I've never had a problem with B&H...and I've bought cameras, lenses, filter, a tripod head and other stuff...new and used. Not ever, not even once, did anyone call me about my online order.

I can only guess that your purchase was costly enough to cause B&H to be concerned that you were the actual owner of your credit card. If that's the case, then I'd not be too mad. (I get mad when people hand me a pen to sign for a credit card purchase without asking me for my ID.) Then again, maybe you just got a bad salesperson.

Either way, I'd get a hold of Henry as suggested. Only by reporting your problems can those in charge know and do something about the problems and, hopefully, prevent them from happening again. After all, New Yorkers are one thing, but rudeness beyond rude is another.

Unfortunately, I have to agree with Sandy regarding his "But it was like talking to a communist court, I had an interrogation instead of a conversation."

First of all, there is a verification process involved, and it is quite humiliating. Although I realize why they do it, I don't like being treated as a potential criminal. Second, the verification dept. person I dealt with last time made me, indeed, feel like I was interrogated. Same BS with phone messages, etc. And no, it had nothing to do with different shipping/billing addresses or any other issues. I think they just do it routinely.

IMO, they should find a better person or way to do it. Other than that, B&H service was nothing to complain about. No, they don't give me any break on shipping, but, hey, we cannot demand it, right?

I think I'll just send Mr.Posner link to this thread. Let's see his reaction. After all, feedbacks are necessary for any good business, and I still consider B&H to be a good one. :)

It's too bad you had such a negative experience, and I'll admit to being very surprised to hear about it. I've purchased from B&H more times than I care to count, both in person at the store and, more frequently, by phone. A bit gruff? Sure. Arrogant? At times. But they get the job done, I've never had a single problem, and where used equipment is concerned, I've always been pleased that the equipment was in even better shape than I'd had reason to hope for. Doesn't help you, I know, but just thought I'd add my perspective.

Too bad. Credit card verification certainly is a pain.

FWIW, I've had great experiences with B&H over many purchases, and they get things to Tucson very quickly when needed. Also with Adorama and KEH. (OT, why would anyone want to carry a credit card with "high six figures" available -- that's upper hundreds of thousands and approaching a million bucks (or more) if you're using the term as bankers do.)

I don't understand the problem you had with B&H, either.

According to their site, I've placed 41 orders with them over the past 5 years or so. I don't

want to think about the grand total of all those orders, but it's probably enough to buy a

nice car or a small house.

In all those orders, I've only had one problem with a light meter missing a battery

compartment door. When I called them they promptly replaced the item with another.

I don't understand why they needed to call you -- they've never needed to contact me via

phone even for orders in excess of $5k.

Your experience with B&H is aberrant -- give 'em another chance.

Did I say High six? Yes, I did. Sorry, don't know how to count. Try again, it's only a high five, i.e. $xx,xxx. Guess my ignorance shows, hehehee. Sorry again. But honest to God, everything else is correct and true.

Sorry, I still don't understand what happened. You said you ordered thru the website but, then also that you talked to someone. Usually, when ordering thru the website there's no phone calls. Something had to happen to cause the phone conversation.

Just last week I made 5 orders from their site and this week two more. I just get an email confirmation of the *order* within minutes. Later, I get a shipping notice. Never did I receive a phone call asking me to listen to messages, etc...

Again, I am not doubting what you are saying but, there has to be something else in the equation. It seems [to me] like something became an issue which in turn prompted the telephone calls.

I am NOT related to B&H nor do they pay me to advertise :) But, I do want people to know that they are a very good, honest and reliable outfit. And I am not saying because they support this site either.

Now, about that high five figure VISA, there's this camera I'd like to get... ;-p

"Soooo arrogant."

Nope, they ain't arrogant. That's how New Yorkers are. New Yorker standards of conversational behavior are different than the rest of the country. Shall we say a cultural difference? Their tone of voice, accent, short and blunt style seem indifferent at best and often rude by Westcoast standards. Nevertheless, B&H is not rude by NY standards. In fact, they're among the very best! Try calling Cambridge Camera. They actually cursed at me and hung up for asking too many questions!

I think all salesmen are the same inside. The difference is B&H is usually honest in their business dealings and conversation--they tend to say what they think. More polite Westcoast dealers smooth talk and lie to you, making you feel better after the sale (& charge a higher price). If you want someone to stroke you and hold your hand, it costs extra. You can shop at your local Ritz if you need that...

I never call NY dealers anymore (to avoid having my feelings hurt!). The B&H website shopping cart is a Godsend. B&H has never let me down in 12 years of regular dealings. They sell you what you ordered at the price advertised--no runarounds, bait 'n switch or tricks. I rarely order from anywhere else.

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

Yes, after I received my email confirmation from B&H, There were phone call verifications. We are talking about a $1,299 lens, not a multi billion dollar transaction. No, it has never happened to me ever with anybody else. Yes, this is also a first and very sour taste for me from B&H.

Incidentally, I have a family run music equipment business--retail location and website. Credit card verification is extremely important. Nearly 1/3 of all website orders are fraud attempts so we have to verify every purchase, otherwise we eat it big time (we get very few in person). We're much more polite than New Yorkers but many customers get upset due to the process and the delay. And, yes, even with careful verification we still lose thousands of dollars per year in credit card fraud--some of the crooks are that good. And that really hurts a small business.

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter