Where to buy B&W roll film in Japan?

juke

I have heard that normal photoshops in Japan does not sell slide and/or black &

white films. They sell only mostly used tourist films.

<p>So I need some helpful information. Any good shops in Tokyo, Kyoto and

Hiroshima that have good selection of B&W films in 120 size?

<p>I take lot of film to my Japan trip, but you never gonna know what happens,

so it is important to know some shops where I can buy some film :)

<p>Thank You.

2 years ago, there was those big shops in the Shinjuku area in Tokyo, behind the Keio department store. I found some 120 films there that I, unfortunately couldn't find anywhere else, great choice, I'm sure those shops are still there.

Forget about Kyoto, there's only one shop, I don't remember where, and I'm not sure they have 120 film. Go to Tokyo first to buy all you need, and then go to Kyoto.

By the way, try to spend a day or two in Nara...

I'm fairly new to Japan, but have some experience in this department. It's true that the typical small shops will only stock consumer print film and maybe a handful of slide films, but go to Top Camera, Bic Camera or any of the other big photo/electronics stores and you should have no problem finding a decent selection. The pro photo labs also seem to stock film, Horiuchi has Kodak and Pro Lab Create, has Fuji. Tokyo is similar to NY, you'll have many, many options. But I'm in Nagoya and haven't had any trouble finding 120 B&W film. Diafine on the other hand...

I do find it is more expensive than in the U.S., but I used to live in NY with B&H, Adorama, etc, so maybe I'm spoiled.

Take a look at PhotoGuide Japan for some specific locations:

http://photojpn.org/dir/listings.php?cmd=viewlistB&cid=36

Hi Jukka,

I lived in Hiroshima for a couple years and there are two great camera stores just off the Hondori shopping arcade. As you walk along Hondori towards the Peace Park, there will be a section where you have to cross the street (over streetcar tracks) to continue into a smaller section of the arcade just before the Peace Park. Anyway, if you turn left (south) at this major street (sorry I can't find the name of it anywhere) there are two (or there were the last time I was there) camera stores on the right hand side (going south). They're pretty close to the Hondori arcade -- if you've hit Heiwa-dori (Peace Boulevard) you've gone too far. I don't remember if they sold roll film because I wasn't using it at that time, but as they sold all other types of film (professional and consumer, negative, slide, black and white) I imagine they would have roll film as well. Sorry to be vague about the names of the shops and streets, but it's been a while since I've been there. In any event, they're right downtown and I always had friendly service from them and bought all my photo equipment from those two stores the two years I lived in Hiroshima. If they don't have roll film they'll probably be able to direct you to a place that does (usually the younger shop clerks speak English, but pointing to your own film and miming where to buy always works too :-) ).

Don't forget to try Hiroshima-style okonomiyaki while you're there (very filling!) and a Carp baseball game (or any pro-baseball in Japan) is unlike anything you may have experienced elsewhere.

Cheers.

I don't think you will have any problem with film in any of the big cities in Japan. Tokyo especially, you will find that there are a lot of shops which sell film such as the aforementioned Bic Camera, Yodobashi Camera etc. Osaka has a great selection too. Near Umeda station there is a big Yodobashi Camera. Bic Camera is in the Namba area. Take a subway to Namba and you will see ads for it all over. Failing that, walk towards the massive sign when you get outside! There are also a multitude of shops in the DenDen Town area. Take a subway to Ebisu-chou and that will stick you on one end of the street or to Nippon-bashi to the other end of the street. Walk along there and yo are sure to find a few shops. Places like Joshin have film too. Kyoto is not a bad place either! If you walk along Shi-jou street then you will see many used camera stores and Kitamura camera. They have film. Kyoto doesn't have a Bic Camera though. Also the Kawaramachi and Teramachi area have some camera shops too. Take a ook there. Kyoto is close to Osaka (abt. 30mins train ride) so if you can't find what you want in Kyoto, you can pop over to Osaka for greater choice. That's what I did! You can find most things in Osaka. Kyoto is a bit smaller and geared towards clothes and sightseeing. Have fun in Japan!!