Where should I post ? about my enlarger?

janet cull

Hello, I haven't been on here for so long. Everything looks different. I guess I need to learn my way around again.

I changed the bulb in my Durst M605 enlarger tonight and something is wrong. When I open my enlarger lens all the way it isn't as bright as before, and it seems to heat up quickly. Ooh, I hope the enlarger isn't about to konk out!

Which forum should I be asking this question in please? THanks.

Janet

Hello, I haven't been on here for so long. Everything looks different. I guess I need to learn my way around again.

I changed the bulb in my Durst M605 enlarger tonight and something is wrong. When I open my enlarger lens all the way it isn't as bright as before, and it seems to heat up quickly. Ooh, I hope the enlarger isn't about to konk out!

Which forum should I be asking this question in please? THanks.

Janet

I had a Durst M 600 many years ago, and as I remember the position of the bulb on that enlarger was a friction fit and the socket could move up and down. If it wasn't centered on the condensor then the illumination was lower and inconsistent. Check the position of the bulb again and maybe you will find the problem.

Thank you.

I had one more new bumb and tried that one. It's working perfectly! I don't know if I positioned the other one wrong or not but I took it out and put in again - at least 3 times snd the illumination was just wrong. I'm so relieved!! Thank you for your quick reply. Makes me want to get back on this forum more often. It's been a long while!

@janet cull

What bulb did you get?

According to the manual, the M605 uses a 150w bulb (PH212)

On my m600, I found 150w to be toooo bright, and went down to 75w (PH211), which was still marginally too bright. I would have preferred a 30w bulb.

@AJG same as the 605

[ATTACH=full]1376873[/ATTACH]

It's been several decades, but I think I wound up doing the same thing to avoid extremely short exposure times that didn't allow for much dodging or burning.

@janet cull

What bulb did you get?

According to the manual, the M605 uses a 150w bulb (PH212)

On my m600, I found 150w to be toooo bright, and went down to 75w (PH211), which was still marginally too bright. I would have preferred a 30w bulb.

My enlarger says to use nothing higher than 100W. My bulbs are 82v 85w. I'm happy as a clam (are they??) to find it was just a bad bulb!

My and larger says not to use anything higher than 100W. My bulbs are 62V 85W.

I'm so happy to have found it was just a bad bulb!

62V ???

Where are you located?

I thought all AC was either 110 or 220volts.

Here is the page out of the M605 manual.

upload_2021-2-18_21-49-49.thumb.png.48ce41807da3d80ddc1e09029ea1f31a.png

Does the front of your enlarger look like the green circle in the pic above?

Or the blue circle below?

upload_2021-2-18_21-52-11.png.8824c8e5fb42573ceb6f824f8d6265a9.png

The M605 with the color head uses a dichroic bulb 12V and I think 100w.

I suspect you have the color head on your enlarger.

dupe pic below

upload_2021-2-18_21-44-13.thumb.png.0f4a1445f591fd0796b95f31f930aba4.png

62v seems extremely weird.

Those Philips enlarger bulbs are getting quite hard to find.... and expensive.

Assuming the 62 volt thing is wrong, you might want to try a 'daylight' type LED household bulb. Many of these have a plain opal cap (no lettering stamp) and run much, much cooler than the old tungsten things. A LED bulb of around 7 watts puts out as much light as a 100w incandescent bulb.

The bluer daylight LED type are also more 'actinic' than the yellowish Photocresenta enlarger bulbs.

• 2 weeks later...
Other voltages are not unusual

But 62 volts is!

12 or 24 volts is standard for dichroic-reflector lamps. With 110/120 and 220/240 v AC for mains-driven lamps.

Anything else and you have to look long and hard to find it.

A search for "62 volt bulb" was a Googlewhack -1. Zilch, nix, nada.

But 62 volts is!

12 or 24 volts is standard for dichroic-reflector lamps. With 110/120 and 220/240 v AC for mains-driven lamps.

Anything else and you have to look long and hard to find it.

A search for "62 volt bulb" was a Googlewhack -1. Zilch, nix, nada.

Actually I don't know about enlarger bulbs, but there are 82V projector lamps:

https://www.amazon.com/EXR-Bulb-82v-300w-Lam/dp/B004HL93QU/ref=asc_df_B004HL93QU/

-- glen