Where prints the MF-21 the aperture/speed data ?

bueh

I guess this is a stupid question, but I couldn't find the answer

quickly. Where does the MF-21 data back (for the N8008/F801) print the

exposure information and date? On the picture or on the edge of the

film? Can anybody show me on scanned piece of film how this looks like?

It prints in frame. The F4 (a contemporary of the N8008) and it's MF23 databack can print

between frames. The F4/MF-23 is a very bulky combination however, so you may not like it. I

decided not to get an MF-23 even though Calumet Boston offered me a used one for $10. It

adds too much bulk for the usefulness of the imprinting, in my opinion.

Thanks Steven! Isn't printing in the frame not pretty dumb? Who wants his pictures defaced by these numbers? I have no idea about the bulk, but this seems to be a dealbreaker for me. And I thought this would be a nice present for someone who doesn't take notes with each shot...

Unfortunately only the single digit F bodies (F3, F4, F5, F6) allow between frame data printing, and then only with the top end multi-control backs (these have two sets of LED's for between frame and/or in-frame printing).

All the other film SLR data backs print in frame. And rather than exposure information *and* date, I'm pretty certain that it is an either/or choice - one or the other, but not both at the same time.

Some (such as the MF-29 for the F100) will allow you to print data on frame zero, so you can at least date the film roll without printing data on all the other exposed frames.

Does it print anything (ie. Date)? You probably already checked this but ... did you press the "PRN" button and verified that "PRINT" is shown on the MF21 display? Also, could try increasing the print intensity "M", "H1", or "H2". I can check my instruction book later for how to do this if you need.

Stan

Stan, I don't have one. I just thought it would be a nice accessory for someone who -- unlike me -- doesn't write down the technical details of each shot for future reference. I had in mind something like the Pentax 645NII medium format cameras, where the camera has the build-in function to record virtually all kinds of shooting data on the film's edge.

Oops, sorry that I misunderstood. The data imprint is useful. The MF21 also adds other really neat features like an intervalometer, long exposure, focus priority, bracketing. These can be combined. I have combined the intervalometer with the N8008s multi-exposure to photograph an eclipse progression on a single frame. They are rather inexpensive now, are fun, look cool and adds to resale value.