This is one out of several rolls that I had developed (and scanned

right to CD.. no prints) of Fuji Reala 100. Used on my Canon Ae-1 and

FD lenses.

Do you see the thick red streak? Anyone seen this before and can

identify what would cause this anomaly?

I don't think its flare because it seems to happen randomly, and

regardless of my using a 28mm lens with polarizer, or 80-200 lens

without polarizer.

Anyone seen this before?<div>00FXIR-28630784.JPG.e4a4c6f031a8298efdfe058c6565c70f.JPG</div>

Just looking at your posts, I'd say it's happening either in the camera or your scanner. The streaks look pretty much identical in shape and position in both shots, including a kind of hook-shaped thing near the top of the right-hand streak. I think that would eliminate either the film or the processing as causes. Have you looked at your negatives with a loupe to see if the streaks are there?

From my experience reddish or orange light streaks on color slides or prints in most cases are caused by light leaks. The light coming from the back side of the film has to cross the red filter layer (which is washed out during processing in case of slide film) thus causing a red streak.

You should check carefully the light seals on the hinge of the rear door. They usually wear out quite fast. In case of foam rubber they are destroyed by pure aging. It's time to replace all light seals. There are several sellers selling light seal material (often precut) for very reasonable prices now.

interesting.. I just assumed it wasn't light leak because it was only in like 6 out of my 36 shots on the roll.

I had noticed 1 or 2 on previous rolls.

hrmm.. I should try a roll while the camera is in its leather case (which I never use).. I bet that'd block the leak.

There's no messing about with this one. I used to have a Canon AE-1, and had a very similar problem. I traced it to the light seals on the film door that had degraded and was leaking light everywhere. Get them replaced - or do it yourself with some sticky draught-excluder tape cut down to fit and coloured in black with a permanent marker. Either that or get a newer AE-1 from eBay... they're dirt cheap now.

Sorry... here's some more. The reason you've only got the red line on some frames is because you're getting a leak when you're holding the camera at a particular angle to a strong light source. If you can remember where the sun (or bight light) was when you took those particular frames... there's your answer to the leaking light seal. Try it with your ever-ready case... but getting the light seal fixed is cheap and will last for another 20 years or so...

I'm pretty sure it's a light leak, but don't waste time thinking about the relationship of the camera to light sources at the time of exposure. The light leaks are from the ends of the camera back, not right behind the flipping shutter! If the light leak is at the right side of the camera, it will show up in the second frame *before* the moment of the leak, because that frame will have advanced to the take-up spool. Because of the geometry of the film coming out of the cassette, it's very unlikely that the leak is from that side, but on the closest camera to me at the moment (Nikon FM) it would be the frame immediately after the current exposure that would get any leak from that end.

Let me fabricate an example in hopes of making it more clear. Imagine if you had strobes aimed at both ends of the camera. Now leave the strobes unplugged and shoot two frames. Plug in the strobes and fire one frame. Unplug the strobes and shoot two more (or not, just advance the film). Now, if the light leak is at the right side it will show up in frame 1, because that was in the takeup spool at the time that frame 3 was exposed. If the leak is at the left side of the door the streak will be in frame 4, for the same reason.

Van

• 5 years later...

<p>I googled the topic because I was having an <em>identical</em> problem with the AE-1. Similarly, some photos are coming out with fogging on the sides (interestingly, on the left or right side). Instead of tinkering with the source of the leak I'm going to switch to a different model. Seems like this one has been worn down quite nicely already.<br>

Example pics:</p><div>00YaKo-349295584.thumb.jpg.8f1194c6c67ebc3a364975023d9d081e.jpg</div>