Where is the monitor ICC profile?

When I use Adobe Gamma to create an ICC profile for my monitor, is

that profile then used by my monitor from that point on? Is it active

for all software, or do I have to specifically select this profile in

Photoshop to get it to work only in Photoshop. I have not been able to

find a good explaination of exactly how this works.

Thanks,

-Brian

If you are talking about Windows, the profile is used automatically, in all applications, after you create it. You can see the details in Display Properties->Settings->Advanced->Color Management. Don't ask me why they buried it four levels deep!

Funny - that's what I thought too. But I've tried creating a dummy profile with way off RGB gamma to test to see if it's in use. Associating this profile in this way has no effect! I'm tempted to ditch colour management altogether, I have such trouble with it, and never know if it's working or not.

• 1 month later...

After swimming through the innards of Windows XP, I determined that the active ICM profile is stored in a registry key called "<a href="http://www.osr.com/ddk/still/stillimg_8pih.htm">ICMProfile</a>". This is a REG_BINARY field which contains the file name with extension (in Unicode, it seems). I am willing to bet that if you modify it and reboot your PC it will be activated.

<p>

I <a href="http://www.techweb.com/winmag/library/1999/0401/sol0054.htm">read that</a> older versions of Windows had a bug in the "Display Properties" dialog that caused it to select the wrong profile. The suggested workaround is to remove all profiles and add only the correct one.