Where is my F7?

Discussion in 'Nikon' started by daniel_johnson|6, Mar 3, 2012.

1. Okay, isn't this supposed to be the year? Isn't it an Olympic year? C'mon! I want this camera!
    Don't misunderstand--I love my Nikon digitals, of course, but it would be a lot of fun if Nikon was to release an F7. I think I would have to have it.
    Tell me the F6 wasn't the last Nikon film camera!

2. It will probably be it's current stable mate, the FM10.

3. That made me wonder whether Canon are still selling the 1v. B&H have them (back-ordered), but then they have new F100s as well. Interesting that there are now more rangefinder 35mm bodies for sale new than SLRs.

You could upgrade an F6 (or F5) body with the autofocus and metering systems from a D800/D4, but I'm not sure it would sell. My feeling is that those who want film cameras have more than enough technology in the body already (from the discussions I've heard), if an F4 wasn't the pinnacle of design. Anyone genuinely wanting quality film output that their current SLR body doesn't provide at this point will likely either be after an M7 or something medium format (or bigger). My F5 gets less use than my Pentax 645 or Bessa, and my D700 output the lot.

Not that I wouldn't buy an F6 if I won the lottery.

On the other hand, if someone makes a body with the weight and price of an F75 but with two control dials (F5-style) and the AI-through-G compatibility level of an F5/F6/F100, I'll get one, if only as back-up.

Collectors aside, would there really be many takers for an F7? I've just been to this year's Veolia Wildlife Photographer of the Year exhibition, and I believe there was exactly one image shot on film (F90 + Provia 100); at poster size, I wondered why it was slightly soft compared with all the digital images. Previous years have seen some 5x4 and 617 entries, but it seems the time of digital is fully upon us (they were selling lomography cameras and pinhole kits in the gift shop, which might say something about the modern perception of film). I'm still thinking of buying a film camera, and the penultimate lens I bought was for film, but we're talking 5x4 and 645 respectively, not 135.

4. I myself cant afford a used F6 but would love to see an F7 come out. Especially with the Olympics on the way it would be a monumental moment form Nikon. With no new film bodies from any top contenders it would endorse a leadership roll in the film department in there behalf.( it’s nice to dream)

5. It' still called the "F100".

6. "...it would be a lot of fun if Nikon was to release an F7."
    Fun for us but a money losing proposition for Nikon.

7. Given the number of special cameras Nikon's made over the years (re-issued rangefinders, numerous titanium and high-speed cameras), it wouldn't surprise me if Nikon released an F7 down the road, assuming film manufacturing doesn't contract much more than it already has.

8. Same answer as this recent thread:
    Does the Nikon D4 bode badly for the F7?
    Why would Nikon introduce a new flagship quality film camera when the only people who bought the F6 were a relative handful of diehard Nikonistas and Nikon employees themselves? (Some Nikon engineers have cited the F6 as their all time favorite camera. So that accounts for maybe a dozen sales.)
    Why would any manufacturer introduce a new top shelf film camera more often than every 10 years now, when they rarely did before the digital era?
    How could a hypothetical F7 be improved enough over the F6 to persuade those of us who are still perfectly satisfied with our FM-series and mostly manual Nikons, let alone folks who still find the F100 more than good enough?
    Are you willing to pre-pay now on a contingency basis?
    Answer those questions and you'll know the answer to your own question.

9. That’s sad. From what I understand the FM10 is manufactured by Cosina and no were near the level of the F6. I’m quite happy with my F5 but it would still be nice if they continued with at least 1 pro model camera. At this point we have to be happy that they at least produce the F6. But I guess the question is how long. My biggest concern is that with there new service procedure they will no longer provide parts to non authorized Nikon repair facilities. That will drive small repair centers away from Nikon repair service. I have heard KEH camera no longer services Nikon cameras. That kind of mentality may send many to find another brand for film use. Nikon was a leader in film cameras, looks like they may be pulling the plug on us.

10. The F6 is such a fantastic camera, why would you want to end your film camera run with anything but such a great camera. I wish I could afford several of them. I also was a big fan of the F5. I wish I hadn't beat mine to death though.

11. Given the number of special cameras Nikon's made over the years (re-issued rangefinders, numerous titanium and high-speed cameras), it wouldn't surprise me if Nikon released an F7 down the road, assuming film manufacturing doesn't contract much more than it already has.​
    Thinking about that, it might be more like an F3 sized camera with updated electronics and shutter, like an F6 without the power winder to give it the feel of a manual film advance camera and all the electronics to support current AF lenses and flash units.
    It could happen, but you could probably buy two F6s for the price. :(

12. I also was a big fan of the F5. I wish I hadn't beat mine to death though.​
    ! How did you manage that? My impression of the F5 has always been that "breaking" was not in the remit. Hence things like the titanium prism case... The only thing that worries me about mine is that the body cap might come off while it's in hold luggage - I'm prepared to believe that if my tripod head rattles against the mirror it might be allowed to play up a bit.

Bob: The concept of an FM3A with an D800's meter and autofocus system (i.e. if the battery dies, you just get manual focus and no metering, but the manual shutter modes work) is appealing. There's no way it would be cheap, though, and it would be vastly more complex than even the rangefinder re-issues. Interesting though it would be, there's no way I'd be in the market for one - what I'm after from a Nikon body is light and cheap (I already have an F5 for robust and flexible). My Eos 500 is sniggering at my lens collection. There's no way that what I want would get branded as an F7, though.

Budget aside, I'd like to see what Nikon could do with the D800/FM3A concept combined with a bucketload of carbon fiber and titanium. Sadly, "go bust" and "not produce the equipment I want them spending their time on" are quite high on the list.

13. Well I am ready for some new models to come out. The world of 35mm camera's is getting pretty old actually and I would be pretty excited to see some new offerings. I am not going to hold my breath until that happens.

14. I doubt I'd be in the market for one either, I've got too many mechanical Nikons in the user collection already, plus an F3. :)

15. Heck, I'd love it if Nikon made something like a digital S-series rangefinder. But not if it costs over $4,000 like the 2005 limited edition SP reissue.
    There *might* be a market for the FM3A to resume production at a retail price somewhere south of $1,000, but only if it didn't involve catering to whims such as "Gee, I'd buy it if only it was compatible with my pre-AI Nikkors" or "Gee, I'd buy it but only if Kodak produced a digital sensor made of flexible, reusable film-like material with precisely 36 exposures - no more, no less - that fit in a holder like a 35mm film cassette, and could be unspooled, rewound, respooled and reused thousands of times and cost only $9.99, and which delivered only b&w negatives that looked precisely like Peter Panatomic X at EI 1600 stand processed in Harvey's 777 Bristol Cream."
    The reality is the likely future for any Nikon made film camera will be that of the 2005 model SP or 2000 Leica O replica - a limited edition, very high priced, limited distribution model for the well heeled dilettante or collector willing to take out a second mortgage. In other words, people who will actually buy the thing.

16. I wonder how many film shooters there will eveb be at the Olympics?

17. If I was sure film was going to be here for several more years. I would definitly consider a F6. I also believe they still shoot more film then digital overseas so I think mabey a F7 is on the way. If the F6 was not selling would nikon keep it in the lineup.Bothe formats have ther props and cons. I would like the option of shooting either. It would also be easier if the price of the F6 came down a little.I purchased a D700 late fall last year. It is still in the box and have not used it yet. Since I purchased it the price has came down 500.00. The F6 is still the same price since it came out

18. Elliot -
    Given the newscycle (12 hours) I'd say maybe 1 - 10 pros who are shooting film either for the archival qualities or the unique looks for specialty publication.
    Since magazines, newspapers, web sites, blogs, etc... are on an under 12 hour newscycle - they need the images as soon as the event is over. Or even sooner. No way they would wait for film to be processed, scanned and sent.
    Now for the fans in the stands, it may be a different story.
    Dave

19. I predict...
    1. There will never be another new Nikon film camera, in fact, there will never be another new 35mm film camera from a major manufacturer... because...
    2. The demise of Kodak is as a result of, and will speed, the death of film as a consumer image-capture medium. (Also sped up by the end of film as a theatrical medium: evidently, the complete changeover to digital in Hollywood is imminent.)
    3. Film will go the way of analog tape, and will be extremely difficult for most people to get by the mid-point of this decade. It will be impossible to buy at the end of the decade.

20. Peter.... I think film will last much longer than what you are predicting. If there will be another film camera from a major manufacture.... I have no idea and it is totally irrelevant to me. But film itself, here in japan they sell millions of disposable film cameras. You find them everywhere.... I really wonder who buys them????!!!!! And film, Fuji film is everywhere, it doesn't seem it will disappear any time soon.

21. Peter Hamm [​IMG][​IMG], Mar 04, 2012; 09:10 a.m.
    I predict...
    1. There will never be another new Nikon film camera, in fact, there will never be another new 35mm film camera from a major manufacturer... because...
    2. The demise of Kodak is as a result of, and will speed, the death of film as a consumer image-capture medium. (Also sped up by the end of film as a theatrical medium: evidently, the complete changeover to digital in Hollywood is imminent.)
    3. Film will go the way of analog tape, and will be extremely difficult for most people to get by the mid-point of this decade. It will be impossible to buy at the end of the decade.​
    Sorry mate, but you're dead wrong there. Spielberg, Scorcese, The Cohn brothers, and many of the most important directors have all gone on record saying that they strongly prefer film capture, even if they are going to scan it. Considering the amount of money they have to spend (and how many films they make), it would be a very poor decision for whomever currently holds the manufacturing/processing contract (currently Kodak) to stop making film entirely. Story goes, this is why Portra was rereleased: it's just the new cine-film, cut into still camera lengths.
    Now I do agree that most films will get canned. We're seeing that now. I wouldn't be surprised if, by 2020, all the manufacturer's offerings amounted to a single pro colour film in two speeds, 2-4 budget colour films, a single slide film in two speeds, Fuji's Acros, and the 'more important' BW brands - Ilford, Efke/Agfa, and Arista. In other words, I highly doubt colour films will go away any time soon, but I think it's equally doubtful that users will have a choice in brand or type for much longer. 120 and LF BW has had a relative increase in popularity recently, so that seems fairly safe for the time being.
    Also, a better comparison to film would be vinyl records, as vinyl was once king, and even after CDs it remains the standard for a very small group of people. Analog tape was never 'king', and was only used for practical or financial reasons, when film could not be used.

22. Oh, and lots of new film cameras are still being sold, mostly 'collector' type 35s, and 120s. It's still pretty big, outside of the US. There's a good-sized film market in Europe, which has a lot to do with why almost every non-student BW film company is European. Unless you count TMax and Acros, I think all of them are, actually.

23. ShunCheung

ShunCheung Administrator

As one of the moderators here, I would like to remind everybody that the OP merely wants to know where the "F7" is. Please do not turn this thread into another useless film vs. digital or whether "film will be around" debate.
    If one really wants an F7, and you have a lot of money, you can always get in touch directly with Nikon. For example, if you offer US$10M and commisson them to custom build an F7 for you with the F6's film transport and the D4/D800's AF system, Nikon might agree to it, but I have no idea how much this will cost. If you are really willing to pay, I would imagine that Nikon will agree if the price is right. But you probably have to be as rich as Bill Gates, Warran Buffet to afford this.

24. Forget the F7, can somebody give the the dev times for Panatomic X in Harvey's Bristol Cream? Does it need to be mixed with instant coffee and baking soda or does a simple 1:1 dilution give enough acutance to print 11x14?

25. Well lot's of predictions out there I suppose. But the bottom line is there are a lot of people that still love photography and who is going to make the products for them. Currently you can buy the rangefinders brand new and the F6 is still being manufactured in periodic batches?. There is a market for camera's and the company that makes them will sell them. However I do not think Nikon will be interested unless the digital market flattens out. We do still have the F6, Leica MP/M7, Zeiss Ikon and the Bessa. So things are not that bad for photographers
    Kodak is not out of business and will be there making great products. I plan on shooting C41 Kodak products for as long as I take pictures. Currently I have some Gold 100 and some Portra 160 that just showed up on my doorstep on Friday. I have the Gold loaded and ready for a Kodak moment.

26. I do have an F100 with the battery grip...it's a super camera and one that has served and continues to serve me well.
    It just seems like, after all it's hard work over the years, the F series deserves to be maintained...but I do understand that there has to be a demand before such a product could be manufactured.

27. If I remember correctly. I think there was an announcement that the F6 was going to be the last Nikon film model. But then again, never say never.

28. Nikon are supposedly making 50 F6's per month. I wonder if an F7 would sell many more, concidering that the price would certainly be higher than the F6's? As an F6 owner I feel that it is just right and would not hanker for an F7 - and I was one of those that bought the F6 new (with MUCH scrimping and saving) and it is a wonderful bit of kit.

29. Whoops, sorry Shun.

30. What would an F7 be, anyway? There hasn't been that much development of tech that would be used in a film camera since the F6. They could add the newest AF sensor, maybe some way of stamping geotags in the space between frames, and I bet they could make it have live view, but could all that possibly be worth the investment?

31. Analogue tape and film are not
    analogous. It's more like analogue tape
    and digital storage.

Film is in a class by itself. There will be
    a comeback to film. And in 25 years a
    mint Nikon F5 will cost you about 5,000
    to 7,000 USD in 2012 dollars.

32. Nikon did do some retrospective rangefinders a few years ago, but those were for a very limited audience, were pretty hard to get and were all manual cameras etc. that didn't require all the R&D making a modern SLR would require. From a purely business standpoint there would need to be a substantial groundswell for such an F7. Do you think there ever will be? I bet you'd have a better chance of getting a commemorative Nikon F first. :)

33. I do think film is dead when it comes to the rapid-fire and wildly-varying-lighting that digital makes so easy - it's just too expensive to burn lots of rolls of film, and the grain characteristics of faster films can't match high-ISO digital output. So I'm sure we'll never see an F5 replacement film camera from Nikon.

Of course, even the F6 isn't really an F5 replacement - I see it more as an F100 on steroids. While better autofocus and metering (although the F5 has the same meter as the D3s, so the existing film models aren't exactly lacking) may help bit, for relatively considered photography that still makes sense on film, I really don't see that much that could be added to an F6, other than changes that make it as battery-dependent as a DSLR in order to improve its UI. While the market is flooded with cheap used film cameras (including in larger formats), any premium film body is going to be a tough sell. And, at the moment, I suspect the vast majority of people buying a new, premium 35mm film body will be picking up an M7. I'd love to see an F7, or a new Eos-1 non-D, for interest in the technical achievement, but as a commercial venture I'd be astonished if it's a goer. Even lomography cameras are pricey these days.

34. F6 isnt a real "F" as it lacks interchangeable viewfinder

35. Andy, the only suitable alternative to Harvey's 777 Bristol Cream for developing Peter Panatomic X is Urinol.
    In theory, I like the idea of metadata such as exposure info and geotagging between frames. In practice, APS film would have been the ideal solution... but only if it hadn't been burdened with the 1990s equivalent to the crop sensor vs full frame debate.
    "F6 isnt a real "F" as it lacks interchangeable viewfinder"​
    Arguably, the F6 was more of a real F than its predecessors because it was the first professional grade film camera for which Nikon specified weather resistance standards (not counting the Nikonos). I've misplaced my old Nikon info for the F6 but when that model was introduced Nikon specified its resistance to moisture in terms of rainfall per hour. Even the then-new D2H and D2X did not include such specific weather resistance from Nikon (perhaps because the media card slot and battery compartment did not appear to be as well sealed as the other ports). Dispensing with the interchangeable prism helped ensure superior resistance to moisture and dust.

In actual practice, Nikon would need to finally dispense with legacy compatibility and redesign the F mount to ensure maximum resistance to water and dust. The rotating aperture indexing ring on the body is still vulnerable to moisture entry and cannot be protected by the rubbery seals on the rear mounts of some Nikkors. But omitting such backward compatibility would make a hypothetical F7 even less likely to succeed.

36. Nobody called me diehard nikonista until now... (I promise I`m not a Nikon employee... :).
    I`m afraid the F6 cannot be improved. I wonder if an EN-ELxx battery inside the grip could let it. Right now it`s the best grip in the photographic industry. If you need a full body, attach the battery grip to hold it vertically; another great design, far from the current MB-Dxx ones.
    Who was the master who make this design? He did it for my hands. Despite of the interchangeable or not pentaprism (and other non-user kind of claims), the F6 is still the latest true "F" model.
    (I`m sorry but the F5 was a slip... pun intended, obviously ;)

37. I can't imagine how the F6 could be improved so I can't imagine myself buying an F7. As Jose says I have never owned a camera of any kind whatsoever that falls to hand even remotely so well as the F6. A masterpiece. So much so in fact that it was the F6 alone that made me switch wholesale from Canon to Nikon some years ago even when Canon were streets ahead in the DSLR world (D2X/1DsII era).
    The only thing that annoys me slightly about the F6 - and modern Nikons generally - is that mirror lock-up is a mode and not a function and you can't invoke the self timer and mirror up independently without using that silly external timer. Even then if the F7 cured that I still wouldn't go for it!

38. For me, the F5 meters perfectly. I never have an issue with AF. I love it just as it is. That said, my D700 is seeing more and more use as of late.

39. I can't believe Nikon released the F6, let alone consider an F7. No chance.

40. ..I`m afraid the F6 cannot be improved....

Did you ever see what nikon calls the "monitor" finder, DA-xx?

41. I guess you`re refering to the sports finder. I wonder how much useful it is; looks like not so many people use them...

42. its called action finder, I have had one on a F3

43. I just saw over on the Film and Processing forum that Kodak has discontinued all of the last three Ektachrome films....this is really, really too bad. That vivid saturation ("VS") version was a really nice film...I'm going to miss it.
    I hope nothing ever happens to Provia....so that's why I must keep on buying it and filling up my F100 and FE and then buying more. Must...create....demand..!! (dramatic music plays) :) I want this film to still be around when my F7 does appear. :)

44. The pro lab in Santa Cruz, Ca quit processing B/W and E-6. At least around here it's C41 from here on out. I would not buy a F7 myself because of the expense but I will continue shooting my F100 for many years. I personally would rather see another manual focus model come out. Call it an upgrade to the FM10 of excellent quality to appeal to the serious hobbyist. Or just bring back the FM2n with an 80/20 meter.

45. The pro lab in Santa Cruz, Ca quit processing B/W and E-6. At least around here it's C41 from here on out.​
    And for how long, you have to wonder. Hollywood distribution is going ALL DIGITAL and that was a MAJOR use of film (the actual shooting of film in Hollywood is teeny by comparison I would surmise). The average american is going cell-phone camera. Only "artistes" are going to be using film soon, and that little demand will not support any kind of serious industry. Fuji is in a unique place with film in that they now kinda control the market, but when they can't make money at it anymore they will stop for sure...
    I stand by my prediction that by the middle of this decade, most towns will not be able to get film or developing, and that by the end of this decade, film will be gone for consumers. If you want, you can bookmark this page and we'll have a discussion in January of 2015 and january of 2020...

46. Well Peter I would not know how long something like that will go around here. It gets a lot worse every year and at this point it's really hard. In my town you can buy Kodak Gold 400 at Target and that's it. Mail order is no problem. The Pro Lab I go to is 50miles from the house so I usually save up film for when I am in Santa Cruz for other reasons.
    However I will shoot film as long as it's around. I enjoy it and am fine with C41.

47. ShunCheung

ShunCheung Administrator

A few years ago, John Shaw told me a story from Nikon USA. When they introduced the F6 in late 2004, the conversion to digital was already in full swing. Recall that early in 2004, Nikon introduced the first "affordable" DSLR in the D70, and it was an instant hit. So inside Nikon USA, they were wondering what the target market for the F6 would be, and some "smart" guy said, the collectors, of course.
    Therefore, film and processing do not need to be around for Nikon to introduce some F7. A lot of collectors won't even put one roll through those cameras. However, I don't think there will nearly be enough collectors for Nikon to justify an F7 in order to make a profit. But I can see future special limited Nikon F editions at sky high prices.

48. I live in a very rural area, so I've been shipping my E-6 to AGX and purchasing it from B&H for years. I just figure my cost per roll is a little higher, that's all.

49. What do you think is "missing" from the F6 that warrants a new model? I think it's a gorgeous piece of engineering and design, and easily the sexiest Nikon body I've ever owned. It's a pretty decent performer as-is. It even supports CLS!

50. Don't worry, Daniel, Nikon will come out with a golden 75years of Nikon SLRs comemorative FM3a or even a titanium F6 camera. For all the reasons already listed in this thread, the F6 will remain the last film F camera, though.
    Get yourself an F6 and you will learn why. I use FM2s, F2As, F3s and F6s in turns, depending on the anticipated subjects/mode of travel. After every shooting session or day out I hear myself saying 'what great cameras!' - no matter which. With the F6, however, I always feel like shooting more, experimenting more, risking more (after the 'keepers' are on film).
    One time or another I had motors for all of these cameras but since I got the F6 they felt obsolete and I sold them all. The F6 is the ultimative motorized film body by Nikon. In the category of 'smoothest roll film eater ever' the air is thin (Leica, Hasselblad, Rollei, Alpa, ...?...) but the F6 (of all Nikons) certainly deserves to figure on that shortlist as well!

51. I mostly agree that the F6 can't be improved upon much. Maybe the metering can be upgraded to 100,000 cells or whatever, but as long as I have a good spot meter, I don't care (although I don't use it as often as I should on the D700!). It would be cool to have a video tap option for remote operation, however.
    I wonder how many film shooters there will even be at the Olympics?​
    More than I might assume. PJs don't have deadlines as strict as press photographers do AFAIK. I would love to go to this year's Olympics (despite its awful logo). If I do go I'll be shooting film (as I'll have the freedom to do what I like). I've been invited by a friend to Korea for the 2018 Winter Olympics and if I go I'll be shooting film there.
    There will be a comeback to film.​
    Very brave, Andre!
    Kodak has discontinued all of the last three Ektachrome films​
    It seems that Fuji beats Kodak for slides and (so far) Kodak wins in C-41. Does Kodak have a competitor to Fuji 400X?. I don't shoot slides though.
    Mind you, the real key is not the F7. It's the $500 scanner from Kodak that gives clear, crisp scans and that can give you the depth and resolution that their finest films can offer. I don't shoot film now because a) there are no convenient, good labs around me and b) I am not paying all that money for a used Nikon Coolscan. Not now, anyway.
    Let it be said that I'd rather be shooting film. But for pragmatic reasons I'm shooting 90% digital right now, F7 or not. ;-)

52. Karim, what Kodak scanner is that you're refering to?
    As far as what's missing from the F6, probably not a lot. But I'm sure Nikon could think of something. The autofocus system could stand an update. Mostly, though, it would just be really fun to see a new film camera with some new options...we get a new Dx every couple years, seems like we could stand a new Fx, too.

53. Karim, what Kodak scanner is that you're refering to?​
    A hypothetical product which the author of figitalrevolution.com encouraged Kodak to produce. That site is now no longer publicly viewable. Sorry I did not make that clear.

54. Ah...too bad. Thanks.

55. When the F6 came out, I immediately realized that Nikon had given up on producing a true pro film camera a la the F5 due to the predominance of digital technology. No interchangeable prism, no proper MLU, no titanium cladding, much smaller accessory list. I instantly bought 3 new F5 bodies to add to the working pair I use every day, in and out of the studio. Those three are still brand new in the box, as I have yet to kill either of my original F5s, even though both are approaching 250,000 exposures. I know one day, one of them will give out, and I will be forced to open one of my new ones to replace it, but my guess is that it won't be for many years still.
    My point is, the F5 was and still is the best pro 35mm slr ever built, so who cares about a possible F7, or even the current F6 for that matter? (No offense intended towards F6 owners - it's a fine camera, just not on the level of the F's that preceded it.)

56. The one feature of the F6 which would win me over is 'quite mode'. Am I right?

57. An interesting debate....
    Personally I think an F7 is still possible.
    It would be IMHO something which contained the very best attributes of the F5 and the F6 in a slightly niftier package.
    Removable pentaprisms, Titanium top and baseplate. Brighter focusing screen, quieter still.
    Brute strength of the F5, rechargeable Li-Polymer/AA battery pack as standard.
    Biggest problem IMHO isn't the demand or lack of it as such, it is what others are doing.
    Starting in 2005, I have witnessed the near extinction of 35mm cameras and film.
    On the High St there is very little choice of 35mm film nowadays.
    I am hard pushed in Leicester UK to find much choice and I was shocked to be told that Fuji had dropped all 100 ISO print films including Reala....(!!!).
    Even the Kodak equivalent Ektar 100 which was released in 2009 (...I think...) is only available via the net..
    And there comes the question of how long Nikon will be prepared to offer full support regarding service and spare parts.
    Well it is down to us as users to get out there and start doing something about it.
    Start asking in shops like Jessops, Jacobs etc in the UK for film.
    Eventually they have to listen, if enough demand it they will realise that they are losing money without the stock.
    It can be done.
    And there are some encouraging moves elsewhere in the World.
    Apparently film has had something of a renaissance in Hong Kong.
    Even so that needs to spread to the UK and Europe.
    Then Japan will listen.

58. I fear the last high- end film SLR has been built.

59. For those of you saying that the F6 can't beat the F5, I have to disagree, and I'm sure Nikon could produce an F7 which beats the F6 if they put their mind to it.
    I'll admit that the F5 has a lovely grip and viewfinder, but I have two main problems with it. The killer for me is the AE-L not holding without having to continually press the button. This combined with AF-ON makes it impossible to use without leaving AF on the half-press of the shutter. Not to mention the little buttons are really quite hard to keep depressed. The other disadvantage is the AF - it just isn't as intelligent as the F6s. It's brutally fast, but gets confused easily. The F6 is much more guaranteed.
    For me an F7 would have the same great 100% viewfinder as the F5 (doesn't need to be interchangeable though) - maybe with a couple mm more eye relief, but with the D3/D4's AF system linked to the multisegment metering. However, it would keep hang on to 'group' autofocus, which I found very useful for most of my shooting. I don't think the metering can be improved. They could also license Pentax's awesome (hyper, even) hyper-manual and hyper-program modes.
    The olympics are fast approaching, Nikon. Don't let me down!

60. The olympics are fast approaching, Nikon. Don't let me down!​
    Wont' matter. Nikon's not going to make a film camera for the pros to use at the olympics. Those Pros are all buying D4s. The film cameras are for serious artistic film-weilding amateurs, a shrinking group, it seems.
    Good luck, though!