Where did you purchase your 5d? Any problems?

lana_k

Last week for the rebate so I'm thinking about purchasing the 5d... Adorama

seems to have the lowest price, but how reputable are they? I've never

purchased anything from them or bh photo all though I hear some people had

pretty good experience with both of those places. I'm just afraid that

something will be wrong with the camera and I will have to deal with

returning/shipping issues so maybe it's better to pay more and get it from

Samy's (local camera store here in LA) Any advice? Where did you get yours

from and was it right from the start?

I bought mine about a month ago at BHPhoto. They have never screwed up an order (out of a hundred or so orders I've had through them). I stopped using Adorama after they messed up my second order, but that could have been a fluke.

I don't live near a major pro photo store, but the ones I use in Portland are very good and very competitive. I'd rather pay an extra $100 or so for a local store than mail order (which the shipping would eat up a lot too), but often they are cheaper than mail order.

I have bought several items from both B&H and Adorama and they are great. I just got a 50L from Adorama... best price online. Another place that is fast gaining a good rep and cheap prices is Onecall.com. You can also try Amazon.

I WOULD NOT buy it from Samy's (I am local). Did you know they don't have a return policy? You can only trade in for exchanges. I bought 2 lens cases there and couldn't return the second one b/c it didn't fit my lens... I came back THE SAME DAY! Oh well. They are fun to look at things in but they are overpriced and return policy is horrible IMO.

Good luck!

aaron

Thanks, I was checking amazon.com and they are shipping it from adorama, that's who has the lowest price.

About Samy's, yeah I know about their return policy it does SUCK! Only good thing about them is that you are able to exchange right there instead of having to ship it off and wait for it again...

Sorry for the multi-posting but here is another thought:

A 5D is not like buying clothes where it might not fit or the color didn't match etc. The 5D is the 5D. You should go to Samy's and get some hand on experience with it... I think they let you bring a memory card in and even lenses to shoot around the store. I assume you know the specs. Maybe even rent one. Make sure that is what you want and buy at the best priced most reputable place. Stay away from those heavy discount places... www.resellerratings.com.

Lenses can be a different story but there aren't many choices with camera bodies. If you have committed to Canon... want full-frame... at an affordable price... you have the 5D or the... 5D. You can also wait to see what is announced at PMA later this month.

Good luck!

aaron

I bought mine at Adorama. I am BH customer but at the time I was buying BH was out and Adorama was $200 less. I had no problems. I only had the annoying phone call about extra batteries. I have to admit that I bought one. Later I found is was a good idea.

Good luck

Ales

"A 5D is not like buying clothes where it might not fit or the color didn't match etc. The 5D is

the 5D. "

Hmm, sometimes cameras are more like clothing than one may suspect. Some ship with

preinstalled factory dust whereas others arrive clean. Some nail AF while others back-focus.

Etc., Etc. It always pays to check out the goodies before the return period is up.

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

Well... just cause you have a problem with dust, back focus etc... you would have to return it and either buy it from another shop or exchange it for another one at the same shop. Regardless, I don't think the odds of receiving a "bad" 5D improve based on which shop you go to as long as it is a high volume shop (like Adorama or BH) and not Uncle Bills Camera store who only sells 2 5D's a year.

The better solution (to me at least) is send to Canon Factory Service and have them get it in perfect shape... which on a camera under warranty.. the should do for free. I think they clean 1 series cameras for free for the life of the camera.

The other stipulation is... I know Puppy Face lives in Hawaii so mailing cameras back and forth might be a problem. Lana lives in LA... an hr drive to Irvine service center so you could drive down to Irvine on a weekday, drop the camera off... go shopping and get it back the same day (for cleaning at least... not sure for back focus).

That is what I would do... I'd just make sure I bought from a store where I'd actually GET the camera. That is weird about them calling for upgrade. I have bought several lenses from Adorama and never got a call... maybe you have to buy a camera. Just say no :)

Good luck!

aaron

I've never had a problem with Adorama, other than on backorder stuff, but I would suggest giving your local pro shop a chance, if possible. It helps them stay in business.

I just bought a Pentax K10D. I went to my pro shop and told them I could get the body for $854 from Amazon and the kit for $927 (and I don't remember where that was) - so what could they do for me? Presently, Adorama's price is $917 for the body only and $997 for the kit. They sold me the kit for $945, sold me the Pentax extended warranty for half price ($40), and I don't have to pay shipping. And if I have questions or problems I can walk into the store and they'll help me figure it out. Not a bad deal.

Now as soon as I memorize the 235 page user's manual, I'll be in business. And I made a friend at the pro shop.

Cheers.