Where can I learn about Leon Kennamer's techniques?

jonathon

I'm trying to find out more about Leon Kennamer's subtractive and

other lighting techniques, but there's not much come up in a google

search and putting his name into Amazon seems to result in no books

he published either. Does anyone know where I can learn more?

• 2 weeks later...

Jonathon, I also found a sort of conversation review here:

http://www.ivan.co.nz/news/Newsletter2.htm

In my opinion the key statement is: "Your lighting should show all the characteristics of one light source and made the point that window lighting is so nice because it is from one direction only. Immediately you move outside, the light comes from every direction, therefore you must control it."

Good luck and please let us know if you find something more substantial.

• 4 months later...

Book name: Four Photographers

If you can find it, it is worth buying.

Reflectosol is the umbrella system he used - they are still made (with improvements). Another good investment.

Charles Lewis uses subtractive lighting using panels he made himself (or had made).

Photoflex and Wescott both manufacture items which can be used for negative lighting.

Hope this helps.

Book name: Four Photographers

If you can find it, it is worth buying.

Reflectosol is the umbrella system he used - they are still made (with improvements). Another good investment.

Charles Lewis also uses subtractive lighting using panels he made himself (or had made).

Photoflex and Wescott both manufacture items which can be used for negative lighting.

Hope this helps.

• 8 months later...

G'day!

Thank God you're an Aussie! I am too, so I can post you some material on Kennamer and his Subtractive Lighting techniques, if you're still interested. I'm conducting a portrait photography course for some U3Aers here in Armidale (N.S.W.), including a session on Kennamer. I have a tape of a course which Kennamer prepared for professional photographer groups back in the 1980s, so could send that to you. Also, a photocopy of the booklet that comes with the tape. There are a set of slides which I am hoping to get my local photo-lab to transfer onto CD for me. if successful, I can let you have the disc, too.

Let me know if you want any of these items.

Overseas photographers would have to defray the cost of packaging and postage for the above! Send requests & queries to: gmelvi2@une.edu.au

In the meantime, I hope you portrait buffs are getting OUTDOORS more, and enjoying it too!!!

• 1 year later...