Where can I find a Holga in Montreal?

<p>i have no idea why ordering online isn't an option, as you can have it delivered to a certified and designated USPS or Fed-Ex delivery site and pick it up if you live at a P.O. Box address. </p>

<p>Amazon is the cheapest you will find anywhere, as you aren't charged state sales tax, and shipping is near nothing. although it may be a little more as you're outta the states. apologies, good luck on your hunt</p>

<p>It's just that I'm going to New York in less than a week and want to have one with me, so I don't have time for it to be delivered. I wanted to get one here so that I practice on it (never used one before, and been only using point-and-shoot digital cameras for so long) before going on vacation. Alternatively, I can buy one there and see if I can quickly learn how to use it.</p>

<p>Thanks for the help anyways.</p>

<p>If you can't find one reasonably priced in Montreal, then yah, I would say just get it in NY. Adorama is in NYC (42 W 18th St) and you should be able to find one more reasonably priced ($95 is too high). </p>

<p>Don't worry, there isn't exactly a learning curve on a Holga, as it's about as feature-rich as a cardboard box. Honestly, loading 120 film may be about the biggest challenge, and I'm sure whoever sells it to you will show you how (though I'm sure you could figure it out on your own). Beyond that, aim and press the shutter by the lens. Turn the advance wheel until you see the next number in the red window. That's pretty much it! </p>

<p>Just don't forget to buy tape! </p>

<p>Nope...It requires less know-how. Much much less. Actually, there are a few options; like f11 or f16 (indicated by little "cloudy" or "sunny" icons, bulb mode or normal, something that resembles a focus ring; though you still have to guess, there are little pictures to guide you. </p>

<p>As for the tape. Well, there are two reasons. </p>

<p>1. Holgas are renowned for light leaks, so it's a good idea to tape the edges, unless of course you like the "like leak look" (click for <a href="../photo/7098979" target="_blank">Light Leak One</a> and <a href="../photo/7081415" target="_blank">Light Leak Two</a>). I had a really "Dennis Miller"style analogy there, but I thought the admins might not like it...</p>

<p>2. The clips that hold the back of the camera on take the word "cheap" to astounding levels, and will bend if you look at them sideways. You know the old sit-coms where someone tries to take a picture and all the film falls out? Well, <a href="../photo/7051133" target="_blank">THIS ONE</a> was the last one before just that happened when a friend went "oh, is that a Holga" there went a roll of Velvia! </p>

<p>Remember, the fun and charm of the Holga is you really don't know what you're going to wind up with. It is simply a cheap toy...and I totally LOVE mine! </p>

I don't know why they would say that. Film is film, whether it's in a $30 Holga or a $4,000 Hasselblad. I can only speculate

that they want you to be sure that if the roll turns out blank or something, you know it's the camera not your developing?

Other than that, I suppose it's anyone's guess. You'll probably get your first few rolls developed at a lab anyway. I would

say once you're confident the Holga is working properly (obviously using "properly" subjectively there), you should be able

to develop them yourself.

I still find it amusing that people (myself included) see all the things that go wrong with a Holga, and the response is "I can't

wait!"

<p>I'm quite surprised that they advise getting your film developed in pro labs only - in theory any lab which can still process 120 film will do, though these are getting harder to find. I don't know what things are like in the States, but here in the UK you can still find a few places that do good-quality processing at much less cost than a pro lab. E6 (transparency) films might be more of a problem, though a surprising number of small labs will still cross-process E6 film - which suits the Holga very well. I'm sure you could find something either in Montreal or NY....</p>

<p>I notice u said online is not a option. But I notice on eBay there r seller from Hong Kong sell Holgas for 20 sum thing with free shipping. I don't know dose it help answering ur question. I curious about ur reasons not buying from Internet (not enough of slection?).</p>