Where can I attend a Lantern Festival like this one?

anne_kerr

<p>http://guest-travel-writers.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/lantern-festival-Thailand.jpg<br>

This festival called "Loi Krathong" takes place in November in Thailand, and I really thought it'd be awesome to see. My trip, so far, is set for a different date though. So I wondered if perhaps there are other festivals similar to this one somewhere else, at a different time? I'm not positive when I'll be going. I just don't think I'll be there in November. <br>

Thanks in advance! </p>

<p>Hmmm ... it seems that we have a variation of "what comes first, the chicken or the egg?" Only in your case the question is what comes first, a lantern "festival" or your vacation. Seriously, in order to assist you we need to know exactly when you will be in Thailand and also where you will be in Thailand. Loi Krathong is the grand celebration where you have the best opportunity to see the most 'bang fei' in the most locations across Thailand. I experienced it in Jomtien Beach in Pattaya and it is a very fond memory. However, you coud see them during the Nong Khai Naga Festival October 18-19 (actually Phon Phisai on the banks of the Mekong River). I have also seen them during the Ban Chiang World Heritage Festival which is in February. There are also some for New Years Eve in Bangkok. </p><div>00bxm8-542283884.jpg.83acba118e1db6a3b4ae41d7c715138a.jpg</div>

<p>Does it have to be a lantern festival in Thailand or in Asia, or is an Asian lantern festival outside of Asia OK?<br>

There is a beautiful; Japanese lantern festival that is held in June/July in Boston (Jamaica Plain), MA USA. The festival is held in the beautiful Parisian inspired Forest Hills Cememtary. You can buy a lantern, and then have a Japnese calligrapher write a wish on the lantern, and then place the lantern in the pond to float away with hundreds of others. There are many Japanese cultural performances as well. It is a really beautiful event. <br>

http://www.japansocietyboston.org/Events?eventId=323451&EventViewMode=EventDetails</p>

<p>Allen,<br>

I was being vague on purpose. I really want to see it, so I wanted to try my best to accommodate the dates those kinds of things take place with my vacation. <br>

Don,<br>

I said "thai lantern festival" because the one you described isn't like the one I wanted to see - the Japanese version you referenced doesn't have lanterns in the sky, but in the water. </p>

• 1 month later...