When it's really hot/humid, how do you stay dry?

Discussion in 'Wedding and Event' started by bdp, Aug 15, 2007.

1. bdp

bdp

I've tried to find a thread on this, and only found one asking about
    heat/humidity and the b/g, not the photographer.

How do you deal with really hot/humid conditions? 1 - How do you maintain your
    appearance? 2 - Do you do anything special for your equipment?

Just curious.

2. I am from Texas so i know all about heat and humid weather. Try to wear light clothing, now
    a days they have professional looking botton up and light pants for men. If you dont need it
    dont bring it (thats what i always say). Always have a hand towel available for sweat you dont
    want to be sweaty while being around the guest nobody likes stinky :) Equipment wise, they
    are build ford tough (well at least some of them) just try not to expose them under the sun
    for a long period of time. IF you have a bag have your assistant put it somehwere in the
    shade. or better off stay away from the SUN!! well texas sun that is.

oh yeah Drink alot of water.

3. Last Friday on a FL Beach wedding with a feels like temp over 100 so I am in the heat often. I will wear a white shirt instead of black, I always bring an extra shirt and keep deodorant in my car. I train and compete in sprint triathlons so that helps my tolerance a lot, sweating less than the average perosn who might not do cardio workouts. You can also use powder on yourself with corn starch but that is hard to keep off black clothes without being careful.

When going in from the AC to the outside heat wrap a plastic baggie around your lens, the condensation will collect on the bag and not the lens, otherwise you will have to wipe the lens fast and shoot and you will have hazy shots until the lens gets acclimated (sp?) and no one wants to wait that long.

4. Dry? What's that?

5. I make sure to wear plenty of anti-perspirant, as I do every day. Other than that, I sweat it out just like everyone else in North Florida and South Georgia. Gnats can be bad too, often requiring some Photoshop DGR (digital gnat removal).

As for clothing, I typically wear black slacks and a black long-sleeve dress shirt in warmer months, and when it's hot, I roll up the sleeves halfway. I still look formal, but people know I'm working. I typically have all my lenses and other essentials such as batteries on my "Batman utility belt" (also known as a Tamrac belt system). I have my other gear in my rolling LowePro case stashed nearby. I try to only carry what I need for that segment of the day. In winter months, for dressier weddings, I wear black wool formal slacks, white dress shirt, silver tux vest and matching tie (a local tux shop swapped me formalwear for an advertising photo shoot). Having an assistant to mind your case and feed you lenses is helpful too.

I always try to ask how formal I should look/dress, and go accordingly. It's a balancing act, picking formal but comfortable clothing.

A recent beach wedding had the groom/groomsmen in white panama shirts and tan linen slacks. I wore a white linen long-sleeve shirt with rolled up sleeves and tan slacks. The only downside was that my white shirt reflected a lot of sunlight back at the subjects, and caused some squinting.

Here's another tip on thirst - I've found that a few Wint-O-Green Lifesavers can keep me from feeling thirsty, and keeps me from having to cart around a bottle of water (but I always grab some water when convenient). The candy simply curbs thirst and lets me concentrate on the job. I could put a water bottle holster on my belt, but that's one more thing to add bulk and weight.

As for equipment and humidity, I do nothing special. I just try to keep going inside then outside so that it stays at a median temperature and never gets ice cold or sweltering hot. I never leave it in a hot car if possible, nor in ice cold air conditioning either.

6. I always Carry an extra shirt,deodorant, and a towel, if I get some extra time between formals and the reception, I'll change in 5 minutes.

Unscented baby wipes are great to quickly "shower up". I have also used a small camelback under my jacket you would be surprised how easy it hides in there.

Having short cropped hair also helps keep the noggin cool.

7. Carry a small towel and use it as needed. The Japanese have small, thin towels that work well ('tis a help to have a Japanese spouse....)

Find a old camera bag and put a bottle or two of water in it. And don't be shy about taking a short break to drink some water -- better than having the effects of heat stroke or worse.

8. Heat is one thing. I can drink lots of fluids and deal with that, but with humidity come a few problems - especially if you are moving from air conditioning to the hot, humid outdoors. Then condensation can be a problem, especially inside your lenses. Here's a few tips.

1 - I try to put lenses close to my body before taking them out of the air conditioning for a few minutes so my body heat can bring them to close to the outside temp. This helps to prevent a sudden fog up.

2 - I keep those little packets of silica gel (you know, from shoe boxes, that say "do not eat") in my camera bag and replace them every once in a while. I literally just grab them from the shoe store, no one wants those things anyhow (yes, I do ask). They suck up moisture nicely.

3 - I'll second the hanky thing.

4 - Shoot in the shade. Use fill flash or bounce light.

9. I wear black to start with and not light colors for several reasons. At the end of the day the black pants and shirt still look great. Second, if I accidentally get into the frame of the second photographer I can be more readily ignored by people viewing the pictures later. Third I tend to disappear into the crowd and this helps people relax and I get better shots.

I avoid cotton in any form. Synthetics wick moisture much better. Lands End has new polo and T-shirts that have a copper interweaving that stops bacteria that would cause body odor in its tracks.

In humid conditions your body cannot remove heat efficiently so it is important to stay out of the sun or wear a hat and although fluids are important, realize that your perspiration will not be nearly as effective in cooling your body in hot conditions.

10. Uuuhg, The other day it was 74 with the humidity around 80%. Thought I was gonna die!

11. dry? what's that? I sweat quite a bit when I do weddings. when they are outdoors, my tshirt or undershirt is usually wet from sweat, particularly if I'm in the sun.

I just deal with it and wipe sweat with my sleeves.

I do nothing for my gear, though - it can handle a bit of 90 degree heat, no problem.

12. Here's tip when faced with such conditions: don't eat salty foods for a couple of days prior to
    the wedding shoot ... at least when wearing black. My second shooter nicknamed me
    "Captain Salty" after a particularly humid day of shooting produced embarrassing salt stains
    on my shirt ... eeuuuuwwwww ... LOL : -)

13. Extra shirt and moist towel for me...also lots of water

14. Marc, you know... that's a really handy tip. Actually, this whole thread is really good, because well... I sweat easily even without wearing a whole lot of black and lugging my gear around.

I haven't had too much trouble with my lenses fogging up, but as far as my appearance, I have sweat pouring off of me pretty quickly on a hot day at an outdoor wedding. I pretty much have resigned myself to dealing with it, because I don't know of anything that I can really do to fix it.

I bring deoderant, an extra shirt, and hair gel with me, and keep it in my car. Usually, there has been time between the ceremony and the reception to disappear for about 5 minutes, and freshen up. (Because the Einstein look, even in a clean fresh shirt is still... well... funny-looking.)

I also keep drinking water as I get a chance to. There was one wedding this year that I did not, and I REALLY felt it. So, lesson learned. Extra weight of a water bottle is not too big of an issue for me, compared to the effects of not having it on me and suffering. It literally took me an hour or so after I got inside to really feel like myself again. I kept shooting, obviously... but still. It was not pleasant at all.

15. Move to the Intermountain West. Humidity isn't much of a problem here.

16. Wear loose fitting clothing and, for me at least, lose the jacket. I need to be comfortable. Obviously I try to dress appropriate as possible but in 90-110+ degree weather you won't find me in a suit or tie anymore - forget the tux, I'm not in the wedding party.

I stay out of the sun as much as possible and always have an extra shirt in the trunk of my car for unanticipated disasters.

Don't sip any of the champagne or cocktails to avoid becoming dehydrated. Ok, maybe just a sip or two to losen up.

Remember the "old days" when we showed up with out Hasselblads and suits. LOL.

17. wear cotton, and eat fruit.

18. I agree Jamie ... wear cotton (it breaths), eat as little as possible (fruit is great), and drink water, water, water and water.

19. Wear a cotton under shirt to catch all that sweat! I had a wedding two weeks ago where I knew it would be hot so I put on a white shirt (no under shirt) and some black slacks, figured that would keep me relatively cool. Big mistake! There wasn't an inch on that shirt that wasn't soaked in sweat. It was really embarrasing walking around with this wet translucent shirt. And especially disgusting in the places where it kept on sticking to my skin. Lesson learned, wear and undershirt or wear black.