When is Photoshop ...

When is Photoshop going to revamp their tired tool-set. I hate to complain most of the tools in Photoshop work pretty well, but tools such as the Healing Brush, the magic Lasso, and the clone tool can drive you batty. For example why does the clone tool mysteriously pick-up stray pixels while you are cloning. The Healing too also does this to a certain extent. Why is the brush always a circle ? Sometimes you need to get into tight corners, but the brush is a circle which makes it extremely difficult. The magic lasso is a joke if you don't have nerves of steel or you don't drink coffee. These same issues pop-up new version after new version after new version. You would think that by now they would have resolved these issues, but they keep coming up with the same tired tools and Gee-wiz tools that hardly anybody uses, I really wish there was an alternative to PS.

When is Photoshop going to revamp their tired tool-set. .

October 25th, 8:57PM Mountain time. :D

Gee-wiz tools that hardly anybody uses

Hardly anybody or just you yourself? :eek:

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

You are complaining about things YOU haven't discovered or understood in Photoshop.

I strongly recommend that you get a copy of The Photoshop "Missing Manual" for the version of PS that you are working with.

The tool set may be a little oriented from its beginnings to analogs from Ansel Adams-like real darkroom. etc. tools, but for many of us that makes them more understandable.

• Like 1

I doubt that anyone uses everything Photoshop has to offer. I use just a fraction myself, but I seem to learn something new every few days. It's better to have those tools and not need them, than to need them and not have them. Not just Photoshop either. I use Premiere Pro, InDesign, and (naturally) Lightroom daily, each with its own challenges.

The trick is to first learn what you need to accomplish, then find which tools to use to that end. I find that books and videos by Lynda are very helpful, since they start with projects people actually do, before embarking on a tool search. Too many Baedekers describe each tool in exhaustive detail, without any insight regarding when to use them.

Edited by Ed_Ingold
  • Like 3

OK Mr author and expert I take portraits on the side. So editing is part of my work. I studied Photoshop in school and have been using it for about 15 years. I graduated Summa Cum Laude by the way. Of course I don't use it for everything rather only for small stuff such as removing wrinkles, adding Vibrance, whitening teeth and eyes, sharpening etc. I also have every version of PSE since version 3. Today I spent maybe 2 hours trying to remove hot-spots and wrinkles from a subjects face because PS tends to grab the surrounding pixels causing me to constantly back-out and start over. Things like whitening teeth could be made much simpler if they had an option for a square brush.

OK Mr author and expert I take portraits on the side.

Sorry, I was a professional.

I studied Photoshop in school and have been using it for about 15 years.

Then what's the problem in understanding how to use the tools?

You asked a question (a rather silly one), I provided an equally silly answer in post 2.

I graduated Summa Cum Laude by the way.

In neither photography or image editing right? As such, what's that data point supposed to tell us?

I also have every version of PSE since version 3.

And I've been using Photoshop since version 1.0.7 and LR since before release; so what?

Things like whitening teeth could be made much simpler if they had an option for a square brush.

They do have such an option! So perhaps what the Photoshop study in school, 15 years ago was suboptimal. :p

If you even spend a second using the old "Google Machine", you'd find this in far less time than bitching about tools you don't understand:

Photoshop Design Tools – Gridulatorsquare-brushes/

Note the date: almost 9 years ago!

Next question...... :eek:

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

Sorry, I was a professional.

Then what's the problem in understanding how to use the tools?

You asked a question (a rather silly one), I provided an equally silly answer in post 2.

In neither photography or image editing right? As such, what's that data point supposed to tell us?

And I've been using Photoshop since version 1.0.7 and LR since before release; so what?

They do have such an option! So perhaps what the Photoshop study in school, 15 years ago was suboptimal. :p

If you even spend a second using the old "Google Machine", you'd find this in far less time than bitching about tools you don't understand:

Photoshop Design Tools – Gridulatorsquare-brushes/

Note the date: almost 9 years ago!

Next question...... :eek:

Digital dog you are starting to be come a real red-neck A-hole the kind that polices the internet putting down Free Speech like you are some type of authority. Do me a favor and go play with yourself while swilling that six pack. If you don't like my bitching just move on instead of starting rage wars, who the hell do you think you are ?

real red-neck A-hole the kind that polices the internet putting down Free Speech

Who is calling the kettle black????

Like so many others these days you seem to equate ignorant speech with free speech!

Your characterizations of the features and your fellow members are WAAY out of line.

• Like 1

JDMV why don't you mind your own business(MYOB), then i would call you a gentleman not a dog in a rat-pack.

You're certainly on a toot today. You are the one who asked questions in really angry terms. When people don't agree with you, you are the one who goes rabid, and terribly quickly too.

and it's JDMvW not JDMV

After the tone of your posts, you have no right to tell anyone to MYOB!

• Like 1

I'm not sure why I can't complain about a product. i don't work for apple, I don't get paid by them, or get paid under the table by them. People get attached to products with more zeal that the attachment they have for their own mothers. Remember the Nikon/Canon flame wars we use to have on Photo.Net. That's one of the reasons I left for 4 years, I got tired of the "Internet Police" shooting you down if you were not faithful and loyal as a puppy in regards to certain products. This after paying them to become a member. Some people like to complain. My Grandmother use to complain 24/7 did I shoot her down ? No because I know that's her style. I figure maybe somebody from Adobe is listening and they will get the message. People like "Ken Rockwell" do it all the time and get paid for it.

somebody from Adobe is listening and they will get the message

With the tone you've taken? Not very likely.

Besides, you don't come to grips with the fact that it's not the tools that are wrong, it's your lack of mastery of them. Nothing Adobe can do about that.

• Like 1

I'm not sure why I can't complain about a product.

Your complaint is unjustified kind of like your question. At least now you know how to get a square brush!

My Grandmother use to complain 24/7

So you blame this as hereditary? o_O

I figure maybe somebody from Adobe is listening and they will get the message.

The message should be dismissed, as other's here have shown. As for Ken, don't go there: They guy hasn't a CLUE about color management, I've read his nonsense on the subject. If he's as wrong about that subject, I can't take him seriously about much more.

Edited by digitaldog

Digital dog you are starting to be come a real red-neck A-hole

Thank you for justifying my time here! And you are welcome in getting FREE instruction in HOW to make a square brush in Photoshop.

... who the hell do you think you are ?

Thanks for asking:

More about me on Linkedin

Andrew is owner of The Digital Dog, a digital imaging training and consulting business located in Santa, Fe New Mexico. Andrew Rodney, aka the Digital Dog, has successfully provided services and training to photographers, designers, print shops, government agencies, and fortune 1000 companies since 1993. Andrew was the technical editor for Photo Electronic Imaging and Professional Photographer magazine. Andrew has written articles for Photo District News, Publish, Photoshop User, Electronic Publishing, Digital Output, MacWeek, Digital Photo Pro, Peterson’s Photographic and Professional Photographer. He is the author of Color Management for Photographers, published by Elsevier. Andrew has lectures around the world on digital imaging and color management teaching workshops on color management and electronic imaging for organizations such as the American Society of Media Photographers, Advertising Photographers of America, Digital Imaging Marketing Association, Santa Fe Photo workshops, Vancouver Photo workshops, Seybold Seminars, PhotoPlus Expo, and Thunder Lizard Workshops. He has been a Beta for Adobe Photoshop since version 2.5. and is currently an Alpha tester for Adobe Systems. Andrew is a partners of Pixel Genius LLC, a company that has created such products as PhotoKit and PhotoKit-Sharpener (PixelGenius, Photoshop Plug-in Developer, Developer of PhotoKit plug-ins, PhotoKit, PhotoKit Sharpener, PhotoKit Color, PhotoKit-EL). Andrew was named a "Top 40 Photoshop Expert" by Wacom Technologies. The Digital Dog is devoted to the understanding and adoption of color management.

Specialties: Produced ICC Profiles for Epson Exhibition Fiber Paper. Pixel Genius has partnered with Epson America, Inc. in the development of custom profiles for Exhibition Fiber Paper for use with Epson Stylus® Pro Printers that use UltraChrome K3 Ink™ and UltraChrome K3 Ink™ with Vivid Magenta. In addition Pixel Genius has made available useful color management information and instructions on how to create the finest prints: PixelGenius ICC Profiles for Epson Exhibition Fiber Paper

Who cares if you don't take Ken Rockwell seriously, the guy has a website and manages to make money off of it so somebody must be listening. As far as the square brush thank you, but what about the stray pixels on the healing tool and clone tool ?

As far as JDMvW, I read and re-read my post and don't see what is so offensive about it. Believe me I said worse. Instead of tasking sides, lets start from the beginning , did you read "digtaldog"'s post, if they are not Sarcastic then I don't know. I think something else is bothering JDMvW , something deep, can't put my finger on it, but it might have to do with your pictures...:)

Who care if you don't take Ken Rockwell seriously, the guy has a website and manages to make money off of it so somebody must be listening. .:)

I care and other's that care about facts which Ken hasn't provided in the article I provided. I don't care how much money he makes. He hasn't got a clue about the subject. Kind of like people who bitch about Photoshop, who don't even know, after years of "study' by their own admission, how to use the brush tools in Photoshop.

Are you here for abuse? Or an argument? This is probably ideal for you:

https://vimeo.com/25921512

Thank you for justifying my time here! And you are welcome in getting FREE instruction in HOW to make a square brush in Photoshop.

Thanks for asking:

More about me on Linkedin

Andrew is owner of The Digital Dog, a digital imaging training and consulting business located in Santa, Fe New Mexico. Andrew Rodney, aka the Digital Dog, has successfully provided services and training to photographers, designers, print shops, government agencies, and fortune 1000 companies since 1993. Andrew was the technical editor for Photo Electronic Imaging and Professional Photographer magazine. Andrew has written articles for Photo District News, Publish, Photoshop User, Electronic Publishing, Digital Output, MacWeek, Digital Photo Pro, Peterson’s Photographic and Professional Photographer. He is the author of Color Management for Photographers, published by Elsevier. Andrew has lectures around the world on digital imaging and color management teaching workshops on color management and electronic imaging for organizations such as the American Society of Media Photographers, Advertising Photographers of America, Digital Imaging Marketing Association, Santa Fe Photo workshops, Vancouver Photo workshops, Seybold Seminars, PhotoPlus Expo, and Thunder Lizard Workshops. He has been a Beta for Adobe Photoshop since version 2.5. and is currently an Alpha tester for Adobe Systems. Andrew is a partners of Pixel Genius LLC, a company that has created such products as PhotoKit and PhotoKit-Sharpener (PixelGenius, Photoshop Plug-in Developer, Developer of PhotoKit plug-ins, PhotoKit, PhotoKit Sharpener, PhotoKit Color, PhotoKit-EL). Andrew was named a "Top 40 Photoshop Expert" by Wacom Technologies. The Digital Dog is devoted to the understanding and adoption of color management.

Specialties: Produced ICC Profiles for Epson Exhibition Fiber Paper. Pixel Genius has partnered with Epson America, Inc. in the development of custom profiles for Exhibition Fiber Paper for use with Epson Stylus® Pro Printers that use UltraChrome K3 Ink™ and UltraChrome K3 Ink™ with Vivid Magenta. In addition Pixel Genius has made available useful color management information and instructions on how to create the finest prints: PixelGenius ICC Profiles for Epson Exhibition Fiber Paper

Like I said Andrew is working for Adobe that is why he is so defensive. That is very impressive Andrew .

Who is Harry Joseph:

Harry Obtained a Computer Science Degree in 1987

He has been in the field for almost 30 years.

He currently works as Lead Programmer for one of the biggest Health Insurance companies in the country.

Photography started out as hobby for Harry Joseph after being a commercial printer for 3 years.

In 2002 he decided to go back to school and obtain an A.A.S Degree in photography for which he graduated "Summa Cum Laude".

HJ Has has attended Various workshops as part of his training in photography mostly in Wedding and Portraiture.

Currently he works part-time as a Wedding/Portrait photographer.

Harry Is very Interested in creating a Calendar of his native country in the near future and is working with a Photographer from the Arizona Highway Patrol on how to break into the calendar business.

Not exactly fire works !

Edited by hjoseph7

I doubt that anyone uses everything Photoshop has to offer. I use just a fraction myself, but I seem to learn something new every few days. It's better to have those tools and not need them, than to need them and not have them. Not just Photoshop either. I use Premiere Pro, InDesign, and (naturally) Lightroom daily, each with its own challenges.

The trick is to first learn what you need to accomplish, then find which tools to use to that end. I find that books and videos by Lynda are very helpful, since they start with projects people actually do, before embarking on a tool search. Too many Baedekers describe each tool in exhaustive detail, without any insight regarding when to use them.

Thank you Ed, I will look into the software(s) you mentioned