When is dodging and burning recommended for a print?

Personally, I have never done either one.

I do use variable contrast paper, and adjust the contrast to the way I want to see it.

Most often, it is more work than I want to do.

If it helps any, most often I keep the tone controls on my audio systems in the center

position, except for unusual cases where the source is wrong.

I also prefer color films that don't exaggerate the color, or give excessive contrast.

(I use Porta NC and not VC.)

But others, I am sure, have different preferences.

-- glen

I always edged burned my prints the same as Ansel Adams did. I would use a cardboard to give a one or two second burn about 1-1/2 inches in from the edges of each print.

This was believed to draw the eye more toward the center of the print. I once burned some prints and didn't burn some others of the identical prints. When I asked people which they preferred that would say that they didn't see any difference but when they did chose they invariably chose the edge burned prints.

James G. Dainis

I probably dodge or burn every b&w print I make. I adjust contrast also but dodging or burning in is common practice for me. I usually burn down excessive highlights and more rarely dodge underexposed features. How much of it depends on the characteristics of the negative but I rarely simply print one straight unless I am in a big hurry.

Rick H.