When do you upgrade a DSLR?

<p>I was reading another thread and the OP referred to his Nikon D80 as "outdated and tired". He was considering a D700 but he was worried that it was going to be "retired" soon. He hasn't gotten it and he's already retiring it. This made me think about just when do you retire a DSLR? My rule of thumb is too retire it when a new model comes out with a feature that you need that is significantly better than what you have. For me high ISO's are very important so I replaced my D60 with a D90 as my main camera. I still have and use the D60. But the D90 has a usable ISO 6400 where the D60 went up to 3200. Now 6400 is all I need, so I'm in no hurry to replace the D90.</p>

<p>My point is that the D60 still takes great pictures. It didn't stop taking great pictures because something newer came out. If I didn't need the ISO 6400, I would not have gotten another body. So when do you replace a DSLR?</p>

<p>PS- By great pictures I mean sharp well exposed pictures with good color and contrast, not that I'm a great photographer.</p>

<p>Yep - when there is some feature / function that makes it a compelling enough reason to change. My 20D was nearly 5 years old, and had 80K+ shutter cycles when I changed it. It still took great pictures (better pictures than me, for the most part); but it did not have the large screen, self-cleaning sensor or high ISO. Is it perfect? No, but its way better than I am, and will be for some time to come.</p>

<p>I think that if I replace camera bodies too frequently, my wife will replace <em>me</em>. So, it has to be a truly compelling case. As things are now, I can't imagine updating a body any more frequently than every other generation from a given maker - at most.</p>

<p>Craigslist is full of camera bodies listed as "in mint condition" - "reason for selling - upgrading".</p>

<p>So basically they bought a camera, rested it on a pillow until a new model came out and are now selling it because they need the new features, perhaps a built in pillow.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>He was considering a D700 but he was worried that it was going to be "retired" soon</p>

</blockquote>

<p>one can worrie too much. Then you've got people who love photography and people who love camera's. That doesn't always amount to the same thing.</p>

<p>When it stops working or when the camera becomes the limiting factor. I don't think I will be upgrading my D80 or D1h as I don't feel a new DSLR will give me any better pictures. I have been enjoying shooting B&W film again and whenever I start messing with B&W film I start to get the idea I would like a rangefinder.</p>