When Do Amateur Photograophers Become Professional Photographers?

bruce_mattes

<p>The photo.net insurance thread got me to thinking along the following lines, so I decided to start this thread..</p>

<p>I am a photographer that currently has no plans on selling any of his work..I do not feel that my images are up to the standards necessary for commercial sales..I also have no plans on ever working for pay as a photographer..To do so for me would take the casualness and joy out of what I consider a hobby..To pursue photography for money would require a completely different mindset..One which I currently have no intentions of adopting..</p>

<p>I pose the following questions to those photographers here on PN that earn their living by photography..</p>

<p>Do amateur photographers become professional photographers in the eyes of the law as soon as they receive payment for that first photograph?..Do their responsibilities and liabilities change at that moment?..Do they start needing a different kind of insurance policy?..Do they put their families, home,jobs, businesses at risk by selling images for money?..At what point does an amateur photographer morph into a professional photographer?.</p>

<p>I am not asking about the quality of one's photography as regards to their level of professionalism..This is another topic entirely..I am simply asking these questions from a legalistic point of view..</p>

<p>Thanks for your input..</p>

<p>Bruce</p>

<p> </p>

<p><em>"Do amateur photographers become professional photographers in the eyes of the law as soon as they receive payment for that first photograph?"</em></p>

<p>You need to be more concerned about the taxman than the lawman -- if you are claiming you are in business as a photographer.</p>

<p>The simple answer is you start to become a professional when clients/friends/relatives start relying on you to deliver the product you promise to deliver.</p>

<p>I'd suggest that if one has a worry or interest in what one's liabilities are for their actions, talking to an attorney is the best thing to do.</p>

<p>In addition to taxes, one would need to be aware of the local business licensing and zoning requirements. One would definitely need to review coverage limits on homeowner and auto policies because "business" uses may specifically not be covered, some level of hobby related business activities might be OK, and one would be very ise to be clear on limits and exceptions before a problem arose. Insurance companies don't make money by paying on claims they can deny for lack of coverage.</p>

<p>speaking from uk, if you earn money out of photography, whether regularly or at a casual basis, the inland revenue would expect you to declare it. if you don't advertise and just do it through word of mouth, chances are that there might not be any way of the revenue knowing about your earnings, especially if it is a small amount. if you do have a business website that is easily accessible, there are people who get paid to check out on people. there would also be a need to pay some kind of voluntary national insurance contribution.</p>

<p>that is the tax side of things. i am sure others would fill you in the photographic side!</p>

<p>In the US, the law does not define such a thing as "professional photographer". You have a business (photography or otherwise) when you file a schedule C on your tax return. Over a certain tolerance that can be rolled under "hobby income", you are required to do so when your activity is profitable.</p>

<p>Words change meaning with time. "Cheap" used to mean inexpensive; these days the word means shoddy.</p>

<p>In its purest interpretation, a professional photographer does photography for a living... any other application of the art is of an amateur nature. Of course, as the meaning of words change, "amateurish" means poor quality, while "professional" means good quality.</p>

<p>Back in the late 80's/early 90's I had a very profitable wedding photography business. But, because I didn't do the work as my primary occupation I had to consider myself an amateur. It was a bad time for a couple wanting a traditional church wedding, since traditional weddings went out in the 60's and 70's, and the old "professional" wedding photographers were long gone. The demand for wedding photography came back with a crash, and there were few people around who could do it, and do it well. Some photographers were doing it full time and were therefore classified as "professionals", yet I saw their work and was shocked at its poor quality of their work... I never even got into a critique of lighting, composition and pose... their work was rife with underexposed, grainy and redeyed photographs. But... they were professional, since it was their business.</p>

<p>If you are going to embark on a career seriously you need to establish it legally. Initially though there will no doubt be a time during which you may earn a few £'s or Dollars from friends etc before taking the plunge.<br>

I am a professional photographer in UK and that is how it went for me. I was ahigh school teacher and then became involved in photography and wanted nothing else in life, as a career.<br>

However taking the plunge without promises of work is a big step.<br>

I had a large mortgage/wife and son to support. However you only live once (or so i believe!) so i wnet for it. I wanted to work in fashion but the reality was it takes time to obtain recognition so i just shot anything to make ends meet-kids/weddings/commercial. Things went pretty well though i have kicked weddings into touch simply because the industry is so tacky. I earnt a lot from it but have no respect for most wedding phootgraphers who are in the most part poor photographers and charge too much for their 'skills'.<br>

I bought most of my equipment while still taching-medium format and SLR cameras (Nikon and Bronicas) and also a Sinar 5X4. I managed to sell some shots to Athena so made some good money to help me set up. I self taught and bought lights (Elinchrom) and tungsten lights. You learn much more this way and you experiment and discover your own methods at times. You ask others and look at magazines etc. Lighting is pretty simple once you know how...anyway i am going beyond the topic!<br>

Good luck!</p>

<p>I'm just a kid, and when I think of professional photographer, I suddenly get an image in my head of a person looking up and down a hall, full of wonderful photographs of several different things around the world. To me, being a professional photographer means that when you look at most of your photos and you think, man, I DID that. Now me, I know i'm an amateur because, i look at my photos and i think, dang, I shoulda done this or that. You don't necessarily need to make a profit off of your photos. Income is just icing on the cake, the cake being personal satisfaction of your pictures. Thats just my view on this whole thing.</p>

• 4 weeks later...