What's your next lens?

Discussion in 'Nikon' started by tonybeach, Apr 5, 2007.

1. Thom Hogan said today (at DPR):

"Rumor has it that Nikon is about to announce five lenses (...before summer),
    only one of which apparently is DX."

My question (or the discussion I am trying to start) is:

1. What is your next lens?

2. What lens from Nikon would you like to see updated?

I am planning on purchasing a 105/2 DC. However, things could change. I
    suspect that Nikon may come out with AFS in some of their non-AFS lenses, and VR
    in some of their non-VR lenses (particularly the long telephotos). This may or
    may not affect the lens I'm interested in, which has neither AFS nor VR.
    Another lens announcement from Nikon that would change my decision would be a
    short prime (approximately 60mm) that's fast (f/1.4) and has DC (defocus
    control) which could be ideal for portraiture on a DX sensor.

2. My next lens is one of these (or both of them), if pricing is within my reach:

1) 80-400mm/f4 EDIF G AFS VR

2) 24-85mm/2.8 EDIF G AFS VR

3. Carl Zeiss

4. 18/2 AF-S DX.

5. Just received last Thursday an Nikkor AF-S 12-24mm f/4 G IF-ED.

6. Anthony, cool discussion.

I was thinking of the Tokina 12-24, then leaning toward the Sigma 10-20, since I like the
    idea of the extra 2mm at the wide end and really like the idea of the HSM focusing.

I wish I could afford the NIkon 12-24.

7. Per Ilkka, an 18mm f/2.0 AF-S DX lens- its absurd Nikon doesn't have a single professional-quality, fast DX prime lens. Its also abusrd Nikon hasn't released a professional-quality DX lens since 2003, while Nikons has discontinued better lenses right and left.

8. 20/1.4 or 20/2 DX

9. "What lens from Nikon would you like to see updated?"

All Nikon AF lenses should be updated to contain AF-S focus motors. All pro zooms- i.e. the 17-55mm f/2.8 DX lens should be updated to contain VR.

10. I'm with you, Anthony. I'm kinda zoomed out so based on existing lenses, my next purchase will be the 60mm micro. Sure wouldn't mind if Nikon made it a little faster.

A future lens? For me, an 85mm f/1.8 macro but it would also be nice to see VR for all the long lenses.

11. Carsten.

I too would love a 20 f1.4. That would be cool. Do you think I'd have to sell one or both of my
    vehicles to pay for it.

;-)

12. The Tokina 12-24 f/4, a substitute for the Nikon 12-24 f/4. I am still holding out because it's a big purchase. In the mean time, I am using my "new" used 50mm f/1.9 AF.

If this rumor is true, a FF DSLR from Nikon might not be far fetch? I'm just wondering.

13. adw

adw

Lets think what they already have:

6 million 18-xx(x) consumer lenses.
    Really wide: 10.5mm and its de-fisheye software.
    Wide zoom: 12-24mm f/4.
    Standard zoom: 17-55 2.8 NO VR.
    Macro 105mm VR.
    Medium telezoom: 70-200 f/2.8 VR.
    Slightly long prime: 300 2.8 VR.

From that if its going to be 5 I would say:
    Either 2.8 (pro upgrade) or variable aperture (consumer) wide zoom.
    Standard zoom with VR.
    400 OR 500 AND 600mm updated to VR.
    and a consumer 55-200 updated to VR.

Possibly...

14. For my D200/D70, I'd like to see:
    16-70/2.8 DX AF-S VR
    14/2.8 DX

I'd buy a D40 or D40X if they released an AF-S prime, somewhere from 20/2.8 to 24/2.8. Even better would be an f/1.8 or f/2 version.

larsbc

15. 10.5 2.8 or 70-200 2.8 VR

16. 60mm Micro

17. Schneider Super Symmar XL 110mm for my Crown Graphic. I've given up waiting for a fast wide-angle from Nikon. I need a solution.

18. 28mm f1.4
    should arrive tomorrow

19. 1. What is your next lens?

Not sure... can't quite find what I'm looking for in the Nikon lineup

2. What lens from Nikon would you like to see updated?

300mm f/4 AF-S VR, my dream travel lens :)

20. ZF 50/1.4 or 135/2 DC, but most likely nothing in the foreseeable future.

Ronald, the 110 XL is phenomenal. Your only regret will be not getting one sooner.

21. "All Nikon AF lenses should be updated to contain AF-S focus motors. All pro zooms- i.e. the 17-55mm f/2.8 DX lens should be updated to contain VR."

you read my mind

22. I'm thinking of either a 135mm f/2.0 or a 55mm f/1.2.

I don't really know what Nikon should update ATM. They should update all of their lenses to 12-plus aperture blades starting yesterday. I'm sick of billion dollar companies ignoring this. Even Leica still gets it wrong. I'm amazed.

23. Compact AF-S f2.0 primes from 24mm to 35mm range and an AF-S 60mm/f1.4 would make me very happy.

24. zeiss ZF 105mm makro planar and the 25mm/2.8.

25. Karim, if your inferring more aperture blades would give better boheh your mistaken. it has more to do with the construction of the optics. because if this was the case all the lens manufactures would just add more blades.

26. Reply to Peter:

I have the Tokina and it is okay but has a little CA. FWIW, Thom Hogan says he uses the Sigma 10-20 and has said the Tokina's are a little "flat" color wise. The difference between 10mm and 12mm is significant (20%), and if I had it to do over I might go with the Sigma in part because it focuses closer than the Tokina (9" instead of 12"). I don't count my most recent purchase that I am awaiting as a "next lens" because I already purchased it, but I am getting a Sigma 14/3.5 in part because its minimum focus distance is 7".

Reply to NTBD.net media:

I think you are pretty close.

My most optimistic pro related guesses would be all three of the longer telephoto lenses being re-released as VR lenses, the 17-55 being re-released as VR lens (that would be the one DX lens Thom referred to), and the 85/1.4 being re-released as an AFS VR lens.

My most pessimistic guesses would be all consumer lenses; I think Nikon's D40 and D40x have created a big issue for a lot of less glamorous lenses that will need to be updated to AFS. These would include the 50/1.4, the 50/1.8, the 85/1.8, the 18-35/3.5-4.5, and the 80-400/4.5-5.6. If Nikon does something more like my pessimistic guesses and don't hit a homerun with their likely D3h, then you can just hear the remaining few pros who still use Nikon heading for the door.

27. Next: 35mm f/2 or 85 f/1.8 -- if I win the lottery 85 f/1.4

What I want to see:

300 AFS F/4 VR

28. If Nikon wants to be serious, updating their long lenses with VR-II would be a good bet. Their most serious shortcomings in lenses right now are really fast wide-angle lenses. And if they want to broaden their horizons, a new and more modern PC (T/S) lens or two would be welcome.

What do *I* want next? The budget says Tokina 12-24mm.

29. 85mm f1.4 AIS. Picking it up this Saturday. Can't wait to mount it to my F3HP. A very sexy combo to say the least. Over the past few weeks, I've found I like the 85mm focal length very much as a walkaround cityscape lens(I have a very worn out 85mm f1.8 non-AI which I am replacing with the f1.4 AIS version).

Dave

30. Two Nikon lenses have gone AWOL. The 8mm f2.8 Fisheye never even came out for film, but then you really don't need autofocus in one of these anyway. More significantly is a decent 400mm f5.6 ED autofocus lens. I say decent because I think one was available sometime ago but apparently it was a piece of ...

31. Anthony,

Thanks. I'm leaning HEAVILY toward the Sigma myself, even though it's slower. I wish Thom
    would post in-depth reviews of some of these lenses I hear he's using but he doesn't review
    yet on his site. I'm sure he's busy...

Actually, I think I'd almost rather have a fixed 9.5mm DX ultrawide (14mm equiv basically)
    like Ken keeps hoping for, but I think the Sigma is going to fill the bill, once I can afford it.

32. "I'm leaning HEAVILY toward the Sigma myself, even though it's slower." said Peter.
    That is exactly why I am leaning toward the Tokina.

33. Have: 28-105, 85 1.4, 70-200 2.8 VR

Next: 17-35 2.8 and 28-70 2.8

This will cover my needs nicely.
    Don