What's your favorite prime lens?

spuality

What's your favorite prime lens for your pentax camera? Any prime lens, any manufacturer, any mount,

any age. I'm just curious what some really good prime lenses are that I might for my camera. Right now

the only prime I have is a Super-Takumar 50/1.4 screw mount. I really like it, and it only cost me $40 on

ebay.

I am very happy using the 43mm F1,9 limited. It may seem "bizarre". No real macro, of course, mainly street photography, candids in low light and some architecture. I own a ist Ds. Love the bokey. As I already mentioned in this forum, I'm dreaming with an adapter to Leica M body, because this 43mm is a real gem. Could do awesome photogs with the M8.

Maurice<div>00IdKH-33270584.jpg.2729efad3db38c70f00b637b4768e26d.jpg</div>

I have a few primes from Pentax. Mostly SMC-M's.

My favourite focal length is 135mm and I have really nice 135/3.5 that I use regularly. It's not the fastest lens around but it does have a nice build quality and is a joy to use.

The great thing about Pentax lenses is that so far they have been overpriced on the second hand market so one can buy some nice quality lenses at reasonable prices. I guess that K10D will make a difference to that when it hit's the streets.

F 135mm f2.8, it's by far lighter than zooms of the same speed. I also use the F 50mm Macro a lot, but am missing some focus range limiter there. The rest of my usual kit, a 24mm f2.8 Exakta and 14mm Sigma will be replaced ASAP. - The FA 100mm macro is surely a gem too, but I like the bit of extra range provided by the lighter 135mm.

I just bought a Pentax-m 28/2.8 off ebay. Think I'll like it? I think I'm going to sell my

50/1.4 screw mount and get one with a k-mount. is the pentax-m 50/1.4 alright? Is the 1.7

much different? I really like the one I have, but I hate having to use the adapter.

50 1.7 A series, recently purchased and am delighted with the sharp contrasty images. also the 200 A f4 would be a contender as would the m 28 2.8. All of these are bargains on the used market and perform way better than any zoom I could afford.

135mm. I have the Pentax-M f/3.5, a Takumar f/2.5 (no SMC, buy a careful photographer doesn't miss it), and a Sears 135mm Close-Focus lens that is lots of fun.

I like the tight framing, the perspective, and the modest telephoto capability.

With my new *ist DS, I use a Pentax-M 85mm f/2.0 (not soft focus), which gets me to an effective 127.5mm which is close enough. A 90m lens would be spot on, but not worth the money.<div>00IenS-33300484.jpg.7e4f079c2177f6a780cca21fb343382b.jpg</div>

matthew.

<br><br>

when i reviewed the pentax *istDS a couple of winters ago, i had a chance to play around with the 43mm limited and i thought the lens was fantastic. delicate and crisp in its renderings with very leica-like luminescence. the only weak spot was a rather unconventional bokeh that may not work for some in certain situations.

<br><br>

the smc 50mm f/1.4 has been my work-horse and favourite since then, but i think it is being overtaken by the 30mm f/2.8. this is large part because the 30mm is like a 50mm on my DSLR and that's the focal length what i prefer to shoot about 80% of the time. here are some results from it from the past week:

<br><br>

<a href="http://vukfoto.com/exhib/yellow/">http://vukfoto.com/exhib/yellow/</a>

<br><br>

<a href="http://vukfoto.com/exhib/sunset/">http://vukfoto.com/exhib/sunset/</a>

<br><br>

<a href="http://vukfoto.com/exhib/last_gasp/">http://vukfoto.com/exhib/last_gasp/</a>

<br><br>

as for non-pentax brands: 40mm summicron M, 90mm summicron M, 50mm summicron R, canon FD 50mm f/1.4 are the favourites. btw--i only shoot primes!

Gee, I like all of mine, hard to pinpoint a favorite. Since I really like 40mm lenses in 135 format, I might say my favorite is the KA-mount Voigtlander 2.0/40mm Ultron made by Cosina.

Maurice -- They're hard to find, but Pentax did make the 1.9/43mm in Leica thread mount... here's mine adapted to my Leica M2.<div>00Ilis-33467984.jpg.0d17585b582b299938d62b0cbfdae3cb.jpg</div>

• 2 weeks later...

While I have since gone on to using Leicas, I have kept a number of M42 lenses and bodies because I am convinced that the best of these do not pale in comparison with the mighty Leicas. Here are a few of my favourite primes (all super Taks or SMCs):

28mm f3.5 Sharp, sharp, sharp with bags of contrast.

35mm f2 Just an all round nice lens (but in truth probably not up to the common or garden variety f3.5 of the same focal length.)

50mm f 1.4. I still marvel at this one. The other varieties of 50 and 55mm lenses tend to be excellent too.

85mm f 1.8 Expensive and rare but a real gem. I just love using it

105mm f 2.5 (or is it 2.8? I can never remember) Every bit as good as the fabled Nikon version. Sharp and contrasty.

135mm f 2.5 (or ditto is it 2.8?) This one is unusual - faster lenses tend to be poorer lenses but this one is just lovely in its rendition The f3.5 version is also very good indeed. Plus common and cheap as chips.

200mm f4. Sharp across the range. This is just beautiful.

I also have a few other takumars of various focal lengths and vintages including some very early preset and semi auto ones, and these are certainly nice lenses too but the above ones are the cream in terms of performance.

I recently acquired several M42 SLRs and have several Pentax Super Multi-Coated and SMC Takumars.

The 135mm f/3.5 Super Multi-Coated Takumar is the sleeper of the bunch. I find it to be a simply amazingly sharp lens - even at f/4.5. It handles very well and is built superbly.

If the lens has one flaw it's that the bokeh really is not very good. But then I also own the 135mm f/2.5 Super Multi-Coated Takumar which is much better suited for portraits.

The 50mm f/1.4 and 55mm f/1.8 SMC Taks are superb as well.

• 3 months later...

I really like my Mamiya-Sekor 645 80mm f2.8 N (non-AF version) a lot and I use it more than I do any of my other lenses (which range from 17mm right up to 1100mm FL), including some stellar 35mm format primes like my Contax Carl ziess 28mm f2.8 Distagon T*, Contax Carl ziess 50mm f1.7 Planar T*, or any of my 50-60mm primes such my Nikon 50mm f1.8 or 55mm f2.8 macro.

Apart from its relatively slow f2.8 maximum aperture its just so perfect in every other regard..Its small size, its light weight, its build quality, its ease of use, its sharpness, its contrast, its low price, its handy 58mm filter thread...I simply cannot find any fault with it!

I dont use it on a medium format camera though, I use it on my 1.7x crop DSLR.

However I have just taken delivery of the "zebra" version of the legendary Carl Ziess Jena 180mm f2.8 "olympic" Sonnar (P6 and/or M42 mount) and that may yet become a favorite, especially for portrait work because it has bokeh to die for! (Thats if I can can find a 86mm thread lenshood for it!)

BTW, slightly off topic I know but could'nt help noticing how Vuk Vuksanovic has changed his tune about film vs digital...Here he was in 2002 saying how he thought comparing a 11mp FF DSLR to a 35mm film camera was nonsense:...

http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=003ofX...

Yet its seems in 2006 he is now happy to use a crop format DSLR with even less resolution than the DSLR in that discussion!...Oh the difference a few years make!

• 3 years later...