What's wrong with this lens?

james_lai

Here is a photo taken with a Chinon-made Chinar 28mm f/2.8 lens on my

F2SB. I bought this lens cheap as new (old stock) about 4 years ago

and never got around to trying it until now (what can I say, I'm just

not much of a wide-angle user). Hopefully it shows up in the scan,

but the whole left side is fuzzy. The center is not sharp, but there

does seem to be a "sharp" region just to the right of center.

I'm taking a wild guess that an element has decentered. What do you

guys and gals think?<div>00E2Af-26292484.jpg.5a6892700b04b487af2598600b6ec291.jpg</div>

Lannie, I can't recall seeing anything wrong in the finder. The camera and lens are in another location right now but I'll check tomorrow. I was using the grid E screen so I did look around the screen at the time. I've never had this problem with my other lenses, and the rest of the roll, which was shot with my Nikkor 35/2, came out fine.

James, If there is any decementing, you should be able to see it in the lens when you check it with a torch light. If there are loose elements, check for rattles and look at the jamb nuts that hold the elements in their place. I believe (I may be very mistaken about the focal length) that C.E.Nelson photographs using this and he has some excellent (real sharp, great colors, etc besides the contents) shots on display in his site.

I have tried a Tokina made 28mm f/3.5 lens (in old TX mount). It is very sharp and contrasty. Color cast is very different than the corresponding Nikkor.

James:

A few years ago - I had a Chinon lens that was new - decided to try it & within six months there were screws loose, etc. .

I could have returned it but decided to disassemble it & fix it myself. Used loctite on all screws & used it for another week or two & sold it to a friend for $25. & he knew what he was getting.

At this point in time I will only use a good optic if I'm going to take the time to shoot & either process or pay someone else to do so.

I personally would never use that lens again & throw it out or give it to someone with the knowledge of what it does.

I've used disposable cameras that offer better results so why try to troubleshoot it? If I were to guess I would simply say that the elements were not centered in the first place or the internal flanges were off or the lenses were not ground properly.

Time to move on.