What's wrong with my camera?

<p>Sounds like you need to send it to Sherry Krauter or DAG for a CLA. Check it on a second lens to ensure it is the body not the lens. The SL & SL2 were two of the "tanks" produced by Leica and should work exquisitely for many many years...but occasionally need a little TLC, adjustment and lube.</p>

<p>Remove the lens from the camera. Operate the lever in back to see if the iris which you have preset at f16, opens and closes. If it does not, then there is grease or oil on the iris leaves and the lens needs to be serviced. Do not rapidly operate the iris because you can damage the leaves if it is in fact oily!! </p>

<p>It's almost certainly gummed up with congealed lubricants. I don't know if you're the original owner or not; but very often people will try to lube these things when in fact they never have been lubed in the first place, or the wrong or too much lubricant was used. Time for a professional cleaning, I think, unless you're comfortable with disassembling the lens.</p>

<p>the best and cheapist solution to dried up lube is lighter fluid and as it's an alcohol it evaporates off the surfaces very quickly. a squirt in to the aperture ring then genetly rotate the ring add more lighter fluid as the ring easies up and then wipe down with a paper towl</p>