Whats with Freestyle & other film sellers ??. .

Hello. I am sure many who are members of this forum (and other forum) must obtain their film stocks and chemicals thru mail / on-line sources. For years Freestyle Sales of LA has been a source for me. Go on line, select & check out. . . ez ? not any longer. FS wants me to "open an account". . .no other way to buy.

Is this "account only" happening in other sources for film? I will not do business with any enterprise that requires me to open an account. Goobs of reasons & not enough time to write them out ! My money should be the only reason they want me as a customer.

Any body else feel the same? Aloha, Bill

• Like 2

Hello. I am sure many who are members of this forum (and other forum) must obtain their film stocks and chemicals thru mail / on-line sources. For years Freestyle Sales of LA has been a source for me. Go on line, select & check out. . . ez ? not any longer. FS wants me to "open an account". . .no other way to buy.

Is this "account only" happening in other sources for film? I will not do business with any enterprise that requires me to open an account. Goobs of reasons & not enough time to write them out ! My money should be the only reason they want me as a customer.

Any body else feel the same? Aloha, Bill

I agree.

It drives me nuts, but I’m under no illusions about my data being all over the net like a rash already,so I do it. If I buy something in a Halfords shop (automotive/cycles etc.) here in the UK they ask for your name and address. I’m paying in cash, why the hell do you need my name and address!!!

Many web stores have "check out as guest", but not all.

Even for ones that require and account, they usually have an option not to store credit card numbers.

For most, I don't save credit card numbers if I have the choice.

Sites that save data, such as images for photo printing sites, obviously need an account.

-- glen

I think the proper etiquette ... ie data protection laws etc is what glen_h mentions here. You should have the option. But like many posters.. I am not too paranoid. The basic question we learn in data protection classes is; information is provided on a "need to know" basis so I truly understand why many find this request over the top! Keep up the objections.. traders will learn how far they can go...the hard way only. When they have to abide by the law!!

I have an aside I want to share ; much like JD mentioned... Back in the days I traveled a lot for work. I invariably needed small electronic items snips ,crimps for wires etc and visited Radio Shack. This is the mid 1980s early 90s. They always wanted a name and address.. I guess they wanted to send you the catalog or WHATEVER!!!

I got so pissed about the delay required and the inconvenience etc that I always gave the White House address... 1600 Penn ave etc .. I must've done this 10-12 times... only once did someone make a face and say ...isn't that the White House???

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
As I buy many of my photographic supplies from Freestyle for international freighting, I find having an account really handy, in that my lengthy dispatch details are on file, and I can store odds and end in "My Cart" for several weeks before making a final decision on whether or not to purchase. I run a designated Visa account with a $500 limit especially for online purchasing, and I'm happy to let them retain this information, since I can never remember the details, anyway. But one has to accept that there's nowhere to hide on the internet; I visited an online store a week ago to price a new steam iron and now, no matter where in the world I browse, I get pop-up ads for steam irons... As my IT guru son said a while ago, "Privacy is such a 20th century concept"...