What's up with View Camera magazine

charles_mason

<p>I received a renewal notice in the mail a couple of weeks ago. I called the number of the card, and a couple of days later I received a call back from them. They acknowledged that they had a database error led them to send out some incorrect renewal notices, and quickly verified that the notice I received was bogus.</p>

<p>View Camera is a VERY small operation. Basically, it's two people - Steve Simmons and his assistant, Andrea. It's summer. If Andrea is on vacation, and Steve is working (he has a day job), then there is no one to return calls. </p>

<p>There is a great tendency to complain about View Camera's problems. But please keep in mind that they are the ONLY remaining magazine that addresses conventional photography. Yes, they have some editorial errors, and sometimes the reproduction is not as good as we might like, and its hard to get someone on the phone, and there are problems with delivery outside the US. But these are all characteristics of a small operation. Let's cut them some slack, and appreciate the good things that they do for us.</p>

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

<p>I appreciate View Camera Magi zine or else I wouldn't subscribe to it.<br>

My complaint about View Camera magazine is the way they handle the timing of the on line subscription & the print subscriptions. Plus I have found it confusing to know how or which user name / password to use. At one time I had it figured out. Then they changed it. Every year I subscribe to the in print ed. in the fall, only to be informed that the on line subscription has expired for the new year. I have received the current print edition & it is my last until I renew. I'm planning on buying the next ed @ a news stand & then renewing both for the new year. I didn't subscribe to the on line edition for 2012. Perhaps there is something I don't understand, but I find it annoying to have to subscribe twice. <br>

Jay Drew</p>