What's up with the Nikon ES-2?

Discussion in 'Nikon' started by NHSN, Feb 4, 2021.

1. Illumitran, or bellows and/or dedicated copy attachment, enlarging lens, and flash, are respectively the solution to all of those (non) issues listed above.
    Exactly. I'm in total agreement there!

Last edited: Feb 7, 2021
  2. They are, of course, very real issues if you think you can just pick up your digital camera and copy away.

The Honeywell Repronar was my solution for years before digital. Several years ago I found out they had made a Honeywell Universal Repronar that can be fitted with any camera and macro lens setup. Works fine, but loading just one slide at a time requires a lot of MY time that I would rather spend on digital knitting

Here is the very modern Honeywell Universal Repronar
    Universal-Repronar-1.jpg
    ;)

robert_davies|2 likes this.
  3. Ahh, there's the difference.
    Most of my 'back catalogue' of film is in the form of colour and B&W negatives, in strips of 6. So even an auto-feed scanner would need attention every 6 (painfully slow) scans.

Even after the scanning/copying is done, the human intervention doesn't stop. Colour negatives are never right, or as wanted, right off the scanner. So I might as well process the whole darned inversion to positive and colour-correction myself.

It's no more time-demanding than making a good darkroom colour print, but much more flexible, and in most cases with a more pleasing result.

4. I had both scanners at the same time and my experience is that the 5000 gave better edge-to-edge sharpness wheras the 4000 suffered from film not being perfectly flat more. At the time I suspected the 5000 was able to determine focus for each line separately, but I have no hard evidence of that. With the 4000 I tended to move images to glass (non-AN) slides to help with the flatness but this became unnecessary with the 5000.

The 4000 is, if I recall correctly, a firewire scanner while the 5000 uses USB. I think it may be hard to find new computer hardware to work with (this particular) firewire today. I can get FW cards but I haven't been able to find one that works with Nikon scanners.

orsetto likes this.
  5. This is "digital knitting" in my terms.:), but the scanning is done by a legacy setup, while I knit on a newer and more powerful machine.

6. That was my impression as well. Plus the older 35mm-only Nikon models like 4000 are more prone to the nasty "blooming around highlights in high key shots" issue than the CSV, 5000, or 8000/9000 (the main reason I opted for the CS8000 instead, despite not yet having much need for medium format capability at the time). For 35mm today, stick to the CSV (if you don't need speed) or CS5000 (if you need speed and optional bulk scanning attachments). The 8000/9000 do a fine job with 35mm, and are actually slightly preferably for 35mm BW negs due to more diffuse light box, but they're much fussier to load/operate, larger, noisier, and vastly more fragile. Necessary evils for medium format scanning, otherwise the V or 5000 are better bets.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2021