What's this that was stuck at the back of my Hasselblad?

Discussion in 'Medium Format' started by philip_dygeus|2, Dec 27, 2017.

1. A film I recently developed had a 1-centimetre wide black band stretching slightly diagonally across the bottom 1/4 of each frame. When I removed the film magazine on my 203FE I noticed that the 'thing' depicted in the two images was attached inside the camera.

It was situated behind the rear shutter towards the top (meaning that it would be visible from the back only when the shutter was tripped) and each short side of the thing was in the vertical grooves to the right and left behind the rear shutter.

It's 56mm long and shiny plastic on one side and dull matte black and slightly coarse on the other side. On that coarse side a 2-3mm wide slightly raised straight ridge runs along the length of the thing. That side of the thing also looks as if it has been torn off from something. The coarse side is not entirely unlike the dark dull material inside the camera but I don't see anywhere where a piece of it would be missing.

For some reason it looks familiar to me but I don't know why. Does anyone have an idea what it might be?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks a lot in advance
    Philip

2. kendunton

kendunton Edinburgh

Does your film back still look like this?
    hass.jpg

3. Hi Ken
    Thanks for the reply, but no unfortunately not. I have an A12 and an E12 only and they don't look like that.
    Cheers
    Philip

4. kendunton

kendunton Edinburgh

Hasselblad-E12-A12.jpg OK :)
    How about this?

5. Yes it is similar to that. I thought it could be a piece of the light seals but I checked both my mags and the seals are intact.
    br
    Philip

6. paul ron

paul ron NYC

can that be the darkslide light trap?

7. Thanks for the reply Paul. I've been told it's a light seal related to where the mirror hits the top of the camera, as I understood it.

8. paul ron

paul ron NYC

i hope fixing it wont be major surgery.