What's the worst film you've ever used?

The three worst I've tried that were tied for last place are all color negative films: an Agfa high speed film (1000?); some kinda house brand 3M film; some kinda house brand Ferrania film.

T-Max 400 the worst? Not even close. I'm admit I don't care for the stuff at its nominal speed. Try pushing it to EI 800-1600 and develop it in straight Microphen stock solution. High apparent sharpness, very moderate grain, very good midrange tonality, decent shadow detail, no blown highlights.

I wouldn't rate any b&w film on my "worst" list, tho' some are difficult to work with and get good results from. TMX and TMY are among those. So is Pan F+. Ditto FP4+. All are capable of excellent results, it just takes some experimenting to get there. TMY, Pan F+ and FP4+ took me about a year of trials to learn to appreciate. TMX didn't take long at all for me to like, tho' it has limitations.

My hands down winner (looser) is RGB.

My dad bought a bunch of it in the 70's, so I could practice photography for our 7th grade yearbook. Boy, that stuff sure was crap... oh wait, at least crap doesn't fade or shift colors as much as RGB.

Kodak's first try at "Elite" was pretty crappy too, IMHO. Have not put any more Elite in my camera since the first roll of the stuff.

Tmax 400 is fine, if not a little odd.

Try shooting Kodak Max 400 at 250 or 320, it starts to behave nicely.

Kodak Max-800 does suck. period. maybe if you shot 400 you'd have acceptable shadows but the color response is so abysmal I'm not sure I'd waste my time.

Velvia 50 is on my short list of films I'm pretty sure I really don't like. But it isn't the most horrible film I've used.

I've never been tempted to use minor brand or own-label films,

so I've never felt the need the use 3M or whatever, and have

stuck almost exclusively to Fuji (colour) Kodak & Ilford( b&w).

But I really disliked Astia. The colour is so muted it must be

close to being labelled b&w. OTOH I photograph people very

little, and I don't do portraits or weddings. Maybe I might feel

differently if I did.

It's funny how some people's beloved film is another's hated one.

Of the Fuji stuffs that I've used, the original sensia 100 was terrible. Blue-green - yuck. I also didn't like their transition of the original Reala to the "New" Reala, haven't used it since.

Of Kodak films, I think all the >= 200 speed Ektachromes except E200 are absolutely useless. On the other hand, I quite like their iso 100 stuff, including Elite 100 (in all its incarnations).

Kodak made Max Gold Zoom 800 before the current Max 800. That was certainly the worst stuff I have ever seen. I've still got some of that stuff in the frige, in case others would like to verify it is indeed the worst. It was the stuff made in the land downunder.

The Max 400 ranks next. One responder mentioned to rate Max 400 at a lower speed like 320 or 250. Well that may not be easy with some DX coded modern cameras, especially P&S cameras.

Clearly it is the Max Gold Zoom 800...such crap...

I once used Fuji Superia 100 (not the Reala variant), high contrast, no color to speak of and didn't scan very well (color problems).

Then had to use (long story) Superia Xtra 400 last winter. Clearly better than the two above, but oh so much inferior to NPH or Portra 400 NC or UC.

No really bad slides, although some old Sensia 400 wasn't really my favorite...maybe it's because I shoot more slides and invest time and effort in picking good films?

No really bad BW, although some are more "universal" than others, eg. TMX is nice for night photography but I don't like it as a "general use" film. Had mixed results with PanF and thus still think about APX25. More fun in this department since taming Maco 820IR and Delta 3200 takes some experimentation...

How about that Fuji 100-1000 film? I heard it was so bad from friends I never bothered to shoot with it, even when they were giving it away to us for free last winter (or the year before).

I don't know about nowadays but sometimes ISO 100 consumer film is the same as the 200 or even the 400. Kodak and I'm sure Fuji has done this too, they just put dye in the emulsion to effect a one or two stop neutral density filter.

Before dismissing T-Max 400 (TMY) try another developer. It doesn't "like" acutance developers like Rodinal - doesn't need 'em for that matter; TMY already has enough apparent sharpness.

Last night I souped a roll shot at EI 250 in a homebrewed developer based on the old universal types: print developer with a few added components including borax, ascorbic acid and sodium carbonate. The worst I can say is that I didn't develop quite long enough to bring out the contrast (there's no data for these roll-yer-own developers); the grain was quite fine, tho', and the overall tonality had a "quaint" look that suited the camera I'd used, a post-WWII Agfa Isolette V.

Unlike color films, which are pretty much beyond our influence other than selecting a good lab, many "problems" with b&w films are a matter of less than ideal exposure and development, factors we can easily control.

Other developers that would probably immediately cure the alleged grain problem of TMY would be Perceptol and Microdol-X.

<i>"When you find a film like TMY (etc.)..."</i><p>

John, because no other ISO 400 b&w film I've tried pushes quite as well as TMY, not even my lifetime favorite Tri-X. Try Microphen. Compare the midtones and upper midtones where skin is usually rendered. Beats Tri-X, Delta 3200, TMZ or anything else I've seen at EI 1600. Finer grain, smoother gradation, very good sharpness. The cost is decreased shadow detail, which isn't always a bad thing.<p>

If shadow detail is important then by all means use Delta 3200 or TMZ - and deal with the mushy tonality through clever printing or scanning techniques.<p>

When I see an ISO 400 film better than TMY in Microphen for pushing I'll use it. Even when I shoot Tri-X at EI 1200-1250 for souping in Diafine it's not for the sake of speed - it's for the unique tonality.<p>

<i>"Agfa black & white film are flat and lifeless."</i><p>

Rothelle, you may be the only person in the world who's ever made that observation, at least regarding APX 100.<p>

Agreed, regarding the rest of your statement, tho'.