Whats the procedure flying with equipment?

mark45831

<p> Its been about 30 yrs since I have flown anywhere and I am sure much has changed, I am planing a trip out to Cal. and was wondering what most airline policies are now to carry on some equipment. I dont want to send it through with the regular bags, things get lost or stolen and I am rather fond of my camera's.<br>

How do you normally travel with you gear ?<br>

Thanks</p>

<p>Do yourself a favor, keep it light. A small shoulder bag or backpack carrying a body, and maybe 3 lenses. It will be no problem bringing this one the plane as your "personal" item. I travel all the time, and I am amazed at how much people are allowed to bring on, and the sizes of the bags they bring. Not to mention the arrogant entitlement people have regarding their bags. It always results in overpacked planes and very short fuses.</p>

<p>The rules are simple: One carryon that fits in the overhead compartment, and one "personal" item such as a purse, briefcase, laptop bag, etc., that goes under the seat in front of you. That is until you board in zone 4 or 5 (last) and every retard on the plane has put two oversized bags in the overheads so you have NOWHERE to put your carefully selected and correct sized bags.</p>

<p>No, I'm not bitter at all...</p>

<p>Have fun on your trip, and I promise you if you keep it small, you will be a MUCH happier traveler, regardless of the rest of the morons on the plane.</p>

<p>Agree with previous response. Just a few more suggestions:<br>

1. wear a photo vest. The airlines bust chops about "bags", but so far do not hassle those wearing such vests. I cram anything I can't fit into my carryon bag into my vest and wear the stuff on to the plane.<br>

2. Beware changes in airplane types. I was in Texas once with a bag that comfortably fit into a "normal" overhead bin, but the airlines substituted a regional jet ("RJ") at the last moment and the overhead bins in that small jet were not big enough to stow my wallet. Got pretty tense for a bit, but this leads me to point 3.<br>

3. If you find yourself on a plane with overhead bins that are too smal orl if you run into the clowns that the previous poster complained about who stow their mothers in law in the overheads, <strong><em>do not, under any circumstances, yell at the cabin crew". </em></strong> When confronted with situation 2 above where the overheads were too small or I board too late to have access to the bins, I <em><strong>quietly</strong> <strong>and calmly </strong></em>(not in front of the other passengers so as to create a scene) explain that I am carrying are very fragile and very expensive gear that will not survive the dreaded "gate check" and ask if there is anything that he/she can do. I have had only one case where a cabin attendant could not "help" when asked respectfully to do so. In most cases , the attendant stowed my bag in the crew stowage area or rearranged other peoples' stowed gear to make room. Just play it cool and be respectful. While flying is a bitch for the passengers these days, imagine how difficult all of the cuts in service are for the attendants who are on the front line fielding the screaming and yelling from irate passengers. Show them you are a nice guy and are not out to break chops or embarrass or harrass them.<br>

That said, I am totally prepared to walk off of a plane if I am forced to gate check my gear and I did so on one occasion where there just was no place for the cabin crew to stow my gear. (again, it was on an RJ). You may as well get off the flight because if you gate check it, when you arrive, you will have a pile of broken pieces of titanium, plastic and glass rather than a functing camera kit. I had to eat the cost of the ticket, but it was a no brainer for me at the time.<br>

4. Lastly, if I need to carry a lot of gear for a shoot and the cost of the ticket is too high (or schedule is too tight) to risk taking a different flight, I load my necessary gear into a Pelican case and ship it Fed Ex (ground rather than air, if possible to keep prices reasonable). I know it gets there before I do and the hotel holds it for my arrival. The Pelican case has nothing on it, incidentally, that announces that it is camera gear. Just a generic, beat to hell Pelican case with 2 good padlocks. I NEVER understand guys who carry things or ship things that have a giant yellow NIKON logo emblazoned on it. That is synonymous with "steal me".</p>

<p>Another reason to "keep it light" is the possibility of having to pay fees for 'overweight' carry-on bags. It's been recently reported on the major news networks that some airlines will begin charging such fees. I've read that some airlines may be weighing carry-on luggage and charging fees for anything deemed 'too heavy'. I don't know if this is in fact a reality or just something that is being predicted. Better to check allowable carry-on weight limits with your airline before packing up too much -- or prepare to be charged fees.</p>

<p>Good point Charles- I just got off of a Jet Blue flight and the flight attendant's pre take off safety lecture ended with, "in the rare case of unexpected loss of cabin pressure, oxygen masks will drop down from the overhead console. Place the mask over your face, tighten the strap and swipe your credit card in the card reader in front of you to start the flow of oxygen."<br>

Ok.............. - so I made that up..........., but I always carry a roll of quarters in case they suddenly change the locks on the lavatories to pay toilets.</p>

<p>Airline policies on camera gear has not changed much in 30 years. However they are now enforcing them rigorously. This basically means one small carry on bag and one briefcase or purse. Baggage fees are now universal whereas in the past your baggage fees were included in your ticket price.</p>

<p>In response there are now companies that will deliver your luggage to your hotel. They will even come to your house and pick up the packed luggage. The major shipping companies such as FedEx also offer this service. A web search on "luggage shipping companies" will give a long list of such companies.</p>

<p>My practice is to use one <em><strong>small</strong></em> carry on bag and one messenger bag. I take only what will fit into those two bags. So far I have managed to avoid using one of the shipping services.</p>

<p>Danny</p>

<p>I had an interesting experience the other week. I fly a fair amount and always take one roll on or backpack and a laptop bag. My roller is a Think Tank Airport Security, it is designed to fit in overheads on big jets, and does, perfectly. At check-in everybody was being told to put their bags into the sizing frame, the sizing frame was much smaller than normal. The reason they do it is so they can now levy a $25 charge for your legitimate carry on sized bag that they insist is too big and has to be checked.</p>

<p>Very cynical and disheartening. What choices does that leave the traveler? Well I got my perfectly sized bag in the overhead on the plane totally dishonestly, I am not happy about it but I had little choice as I was there and had that bag. I am happy to pay the $25, but I want my legal sized bag with me.</p>

<p>I am going to get a vest and use my backpack style bag, it squashes into any shaped frame, I'll unload to the vest when necessary.</p>

<p>In Nov 2010, I flew to Pennsylvania from Hawai'i via ...

<ul>

<li> Boeing <a href="http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/United_Airlines/United_Airlines_Boeing_777-200_D.php">777</a>, <a href="http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/United_Airlines/United_Airlines_Boeing_757-200_A.php">757-200</a> (United);

<li> some set of <a href="http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Hawaiian_Airlines/information.php">Airbus A330-200, Boeing 717-200, & 767-300</a> (Hawaiian);

<li> <a href="http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/United_Airlines/United_Airlines_SAAB_340.php">Saab 340</a> (prop; United Express/Colgan Air);

<li> <a href="http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/ExpressJet/ExpressJet_Embraer_ERJ-145.php">Embraer 145</a> (United Express/Expressjet airlines).

</ul>

<p>

I took camera gear in <a href="http://www.pelican.com/cases_detail.php?Case=1510">Pelican 1514 case</a> (1510 case with padded dividers; ~16 lb total weight), and change of clothes & such in Lowepro <a href="http://products.lowepro.com/product/Fastpack-250,2086.htm">Fastpack 250</a> backpack one way and Lowepro <a href="http://products.lowepro.com/product/Outback-300%20AW,2155.htm">Outback 300 AW</a> shoulder bag the other way.

<p>When going via regional planes (Saab 340 & Embraer 145) I gate checked my Pelican case; put the backpack & shoulder bag in overhead bin respectively. Overhead bins were not large enough for the Pelican case. I bought the Pelican case due to the possibility of gate check. That indeed provided me peace of mind as expected & had no hiccup.

<p>

I had stored soft bags underneath the front seat and/or in the bins in rest of the planes. In some of the flights, front window and aisle seats had some supports blocking the space which resulted in tight leg space.

Pelican case was easy to maneuver between the aisles & into the overhead bins.

<p>I recently bought this bag, and have carried it on a half-dozen flights. It carries two bodies; three lenses (including a Canon 70-200), assorted filters, etc., and my 15" laptop. I usually have my monopod strapped to it for these trips. So far (knock on wood) I have not had any issue with it fitting in the overhead - on one short trip I left it at my feet on a smaller jet because it would have been quite crushed in the overhead. I can't agree more with Eric's comment about working with the crew - they already have a stress-filled job without some photo geek yelling at them about their precious cargo!!<br>

<a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/732046-REG/Kata_KT_DL_O_272_B_D_Light_Owl_272_DL_Backpack.html">http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/732046-REG/Kata_KT_DL_O_272_B_D_Light_Owl_272_DL_Backpack.html</a></p>

<p> Thanks for all the response's<br>

I should be fine then, Its just a short Vacation that me and my girl is going on to see some of the local attractions, 1 body and 2 or 3 lense is all I need to take,<br>

I just wanted to be sure that they still allow some take on bags.<br>

I could just imagine some of the jerks the crew has to put up with day in and day out</p>

<p>Scott: the airline and airport names..? </p>

<p>To the OP:<br>

It is not as bad as painted by some. You are allowed a sensible (that term covers most photo bags, etc.) carry on free of charge on all airlines worth flying on, just avoid el cheapo outfits such as Ryanair in Europe or Jet Star in Australia - they seem to charge extra for everything! Also, often how much you can carry depends less on the airline/country and the type of the plane, than on the arbitrary feelings of the gate agent on your flight, so it often helps to be jolly and play dumb :-) Just use a good bag and make an effort to pretend it weights nothing: my photographic carry on (TT Airport Acceleration) routinely tops 50 lbs but fits in the overhead on most planes and under the seat on even the smallest puddle jumpers flown comercially.</p>

Michael,

AA out of STT (Cyril E King), St Thomas USVI, two weeks ago. I fly through there a lot and haven't had the problem

before. The tube chrome frame had a box section steel frame inside it reducing the size considerably.

I have been in touch with both ThinkTank (we are sorry but it is not our problem) and American (no reply).

<p><em>"1. wear a photo vest."</em> - this is something new for me.<br>

Entering security gates, you will have to remove all items from the vest pockets for inspection, or take off the vest and possibly remove items?<br>

Switching planes, you will need to do it again.<br>

And how about your traveling comfort?, can you be comfortable and safe with some hard equipment in your pockets ? Will it obstruct the safety seat belts ? Will you be ever going to the restroom with all gear on you ?<br>

Perhaps if you empty the pockets while sitting, they could possibly get lost or tumble down the isle ? You could be told to store them safely somewhere or taken away from your seat?<br>

Photo vests are for you to operate your equipment usually in standing position, and have many things easily accessible on you, but perhaps not the best idea for travel by the air, unless you fly the 1st class and have some more room.</p>

<p>Entering security gates, you will have to remove all items from the vest pockets for inspection, or take off the vest and possibly remove items?<br>

<strong><em>Just lay it on the belt and run it through the machine</em></strong><br>

<br />Switching planes, you will need to do it again.<br>

<strong><em>Yes</em></strong><br>

And how about your traveling comfort?, can you be comfortable and safe with some hard equipment in your pockets ? Will it obstruct the safety seat belts ? Will you be ever going to the restroom with all gear on you ?<br>

<strong><em>Once on the plane, take off the vest and put it in the overhead.</em></strong><br>

<strong><em></em></strong><br />Perhaps if you empty the pockets while sitting, they could possibly get lost or tumble down the isle ? You could be told to store them safely somewhere or taken away from your seat?<br />Photo vests are for you to operate your equipment usually in standing position, and have many things easily accessible on you, but perhaps not the best idea for travel by the air, unless you fly the 1st class and have some more room.<br>

<strong><em>Actually, wearing a vest to carry stuff on and off of the plane is very effective. In fact, if you do a google search about carrying "stuff" on planes, you will find that there is a whole new set of products to do so. They now sell full sized coats with 25 -30 pockets designed to carry EVERYTHING on board with you - some even have pockets large enough to carry laptops. I fear that this new trend will end up killing it for photographers since now everyone will try to carry more and more on in vests/coats. The airlines are bound to crack down on this once everyone begins to do it.</em></strong></p>

<p>No that is not how I am going to do it. I have done this once and it works fine. Before check-in take equipment out of your roller and put it in your pockets or vest. Once the bag has been weighed etc then leave the check-in desk and take all the stuff out of your pockets and vest and put it back in your bag. Then go through security.</p>

<p>I don't think special vests or coats will become popular, but even if they do the airlines are getting into very difficult areas. They can't weigh people and their luggage (I know some small planes do already but that saftey related to get the total load figures), but if they did then they wouldn't get a meaningful figure other than total load, a 100lb person pays the same ticket price as a 220lb person but gets the same luggage allowance.</p>

<p>Frank - I did not mean to suggest that coat as an option. Just to show what is going on out in the world that will probably impact photographers when the airlines begin to pay attention to vests after some bozo tries to bring a refrigerator onboard in a hidden pocket.</p>

<p>For what it's worth, I use an old Domke photo vest. Light weight, reasonably inconspicuous and lots of useful sized pockets. </p>

<p>I posted this on an earlier thread about tripods but then I saw this one where the question is more appropriate....<br>

I'm wondering if anyone has had any hassles from our noble TSA groin-gropers when trying to fly with a tripod in carry-on luggage? I have a small SLIK backpacking tripod that is heavy enough that in the eyes of the paranoid it might be usable as a weapon to overpower the flight crew. I'm pretty sure that you're not allowed to carry on a hammer for example and my tripod is just as heavy. Thanks.</p>

<p>Dave,</p>

<p>I take a Manfrotto 190 inside my carry-on regularly. It fits inside my carry-on backpack, with the head removed, and I have never had an issue with it in the USA. Once in Japan it was measured for length but it was fine and they allowed it in the cabin. I have never tried one outside the bag. BUT if you read the rules for carry-on, whilst tripods are not disallowed, anything can be judged to be inappropriate by the staff on the ground.</p>

<p>I am taking mine on a flight next week though so I hope I haven't jinxed myself!</p>

<p>I carry a lightweight Manfrotto frequently, with the head mounted. I've never had any questions asked. I asked a TSA agent about it before bringing it the first time, and he told me not to worry about. </p>

<p>Now, I did see a film crew at an airport (maybe Jacksonville? can't remember - too many of them in the past year) and they were giving them a problem because of the big spikes on a very heavy-duty tripod. I could kind of understand that one on the part of the TSA guys.</p>

<p>I used to fly with my gear in a Lowepro Photo Trekker but there were a few times that I had to wedge it into the overhead or cram it under the seat on regional jets. I now travel with my gear in a Pelican 1514. On the regional jets, it gets "pink tagged" (gate checked). On full-sized jets it fits in the overhead. I have had no problems with my gear. I really like the Pelican.</p>

<p>BTW, I don't put any labels or stickers that indicates that the contents of the case is camera gear. I'll let Canon do their own advertising.</p>

• 3 weeks later...