Whats the name of this camera ? Is it digital ?

<p>Hello. Sorry, i didnt know what category to class this in.<br>

But pleasehelp. Im looking to buy a new vintage camera, digital.<br>

I found this nice one, and according to the lens and spinny wheel im guessing its digital<br>

http://www.itssquiggle.deviantart.com/gallery/?catpath=scraps#/d3pnujl</p>

<p>I cant read the label on the camera. the fonts too small</p>

<p>please help :)</p><div>00Z2ye-380109584.jpg.aefc6538401ab4ac62f951dce3a5652a.jpg</div>

<p>Jessica, sorry maybe a silly question but: vintage, digital, new.... it seems a bit contradicting to me? I also fail to see how the lens and 'spinny wheel' make it digital?<br /> Well, it looks like a rangefinder for sure, and digital rangefinders are rare: Epson R-D1 (it isn't), Leica M8 or M9 (doesn't look like those either). My guess, it's not a digital camera, or it's an imitation-Leica-lookalike.... Maybe better to post in ask more specifically in the Leica/rangefinder forum, more knowledge there than in my head....</p>

<p>I can't identify it, someone else here probably can.</p>

<p>Do you want a new camera or a vintage camera? I don't think that any digitals are old enough to be considered vintage, but if there are any, I don't think they are worth using. </p>

<p>Do you really want a cheap decent digital camera? If yes, tell us some requirements (price range and what you will use it for), and you will most likely get lots of advice.</p>

<p>Whatever it is, it's very clear from your question that you need to take a deep breath and do some reading on what cameras are and how they work.<br>

Once you understand what cameras are and how they work, you'll be in position to make more intelligent choices about what to buy.</p>

<p>For example, there really aren't any "vintage" <strong>and</strong> digital cameras to speak of. There are vintage (say 25 years old and up) cameras and there are digital cameras (almost all the useful ones made in the 21st century).<br>

If you just start buying cameras on a guess, you will have some interesting experiences.</p>

The lens looks like it could be a either a 35 ASPH or 50mm P-ASPH Summilux E46.

<P>As others have alluded, it's a Leica M7 Ala Carte.

<P>

<P>This kit might cost you $4500-$7000 (or more?) depending on which lens it is. Yep, for a film camera.

<blockquote>

<p>For example, there really aren't any "vintage" <strong>and</strong> digital cameras to speak of.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I had a Nikon FA with an MD-14 motor drive. Definitely "vintage", and you could operate it in aperture priority, shutter priority, or two program modes. I had a Nikon FM, which required you to use your right thumb to cock the shutter, right thumb and first finger on the shutter dial, and left thumb and first finger on the aperture dial. Using up half the body's supply of digits, it was much more "digital" than the FA.</p>

<p>I agree it's a Leica M7 (35mm film camera), with a latest version 50mm Summicron (f2.0 max aperture) lens. A very nice camera, among the best there is, if you want to use film. The M7 has aperture preferred auto exposure and full manual exposure modes. They were made from 2002 until a couple of years ago. </p>

<p>It's a Leica à la carte (made to order).<br>

Until shortly, one could have the M7 with the MP film advance lever, with the M7 rewind knob, the MP levers for the rangefinder levers, without the red Leica logo in the front (just like the new MP) and with custom engravings on the top.<br>

It's neither digital nor vintage.<br>

You'll have to do everything on your own, including focussing and aperture setting, except the aperture speed, which can be automatic.<br>

It's not an easy camera to use, compared to the current "automation standards" and your hands, eyes and mind have to be trained to get some results.</p>

<p>Tineye finds the original, by Patrick Ng:</p>

<p> Larry Hayden's Field Notes, Anaheim Jan 2010

<p>M7 film camera, nice vintage-style options, though the custom service would have made this cost probably 10x the price of a real vintage M2/M3. The discontinued Leica M8 and the current (very expensive) M9 are the nearest digital equivalents, otherwise the Epson R-D1 series (also discontinued, at least outside Japan). The Fuji X100 could be a more practical choice for the original poster:</p>

<p>http://www.dpreview.com/news/1009/10091910fujifilmx100.asp</p>