photography as a secondary part of my job. I learned from some of the best Air

Force photographers. In addition, I have formal broadcast journalism

education as part of my military training and consider myself quite

experienced in visual story telling.

This brings me to my original question. How much can an experienced

photographer expect to be paid as an assistant that's just starting out in the

business? I'd like to get a feel for the business as an assistant first

before I go at it solo. I've read that you should do the first few weddings

free or at very little cost. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

By the way, I live in Dayton, OH.

Hard to say exactly, because of many factors, your location, what what exactly is expected from you.. Just carrying bags... helping with lighting, or shooting, could vary this amount quite a bit.

I would guess an assistant to help carry stuff, etc, I would think for the whole day (1-shoot), about 10hrs or so, would pay $100 or more, and shooting would only go up from there.

Unfortunately there are no set rates for asissting, so it really depends on what the market will

bear.</p>For a low range, assume $75 if you have never assisted a wedding. From there, it

depends on what your responsibilities will be. If you are a grip/camera security guard that's

about the best you will receive. If you are in a larger market with a bit of wedding experience

it again, depends. I've seen good assistants make 100 and a few make $400 for a days work.

The higher paid assistants were stand alone shooters with their own grips. </p>At any rate,

best of luck. Call the major studios in your area and see what they may offer for your

services. Be prepared to show portfolio work that relates to wedding photography. That is,

don't bring in pictures of pets or food and only bring in your best work. Good luck,</p>Don

With the saturation of the market in this area with folks who have purchased their first DSLR and who now have entered the wedding photography market with very low prices, assitants are working for a lot less or for free just to gain experience.

When someone charges less than $500 for a wedding, they can't really afford to pay an assistant much, if at all.