What's the better camera: 2016 Canon EOS 5D IV or 2020 Canon R6

gerald_wallace

(First, I hope this is the correct forum). I would like help in evaluating the "best" camera as listed above - I would like to purchase one of the camera's. (My current 5D Mark lll has problems with a screen that can not be cleaned although, I can remove the artifacts in Adobe Photoshop). Evaluation: EOS 5D IV with 30.4 megapixels at a pixel size of 5.36um and a difffraction-limited value of f/8.6 versus the Canon R6 with 20.1 megapixels with a pixel size of 6.56um and a diffraction-limit value of f/10.6? (I know there are many other differences but, the camera's cost the same amount). Thanks for your help.

Mod Note:

Moved from Digital Darkroom to EOS

Edited by William Michael

(I assume the EOS forum could be better suited?) If you wanted to compare just the sensors: Why not stick to the old EOS R which has the same as the 5D IV?

What does really matter to you, features wise?

I have a 5D IV myself and not yet handled the R 5 / 6 stuff. I supposed I was saving up for an R5, to get useless video features the additional EVF resolution and a sensor as in a "5" named model. Right now I am wondering if I am saving up to get the rumored R 5S with less video features and more surplus megapixels.

If not every EF lens you own and might end handholding in continuous light has IS, I'd call getting an IBIS MILC a pretty bright idea. Having eye detection AF seems extremely desirable to me too.

But I am sure enough we can figure out a use case scenario where the 5D IV looks more promising

Better is subjective and only you can answer this for yourself. What's better, a BMW (fill in the blank) or a Mercedes (fill in the blank)? You'll get lots of different opinions.

What I suggest is you find, if possible, a good local VAR who sells both. Let them show you the cameras, make some captures, go back and examine the raws etc. And since you did take their time, don't try saving a few bucks, just buy the one you prefer from the VAR. You can also rent each and do the testing, then purchase your preference anywhere. But the bottom line is, you have to use both and see what fits your needs.

• Like 1

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

I own the Mk IV and the original EOS R. If it were me, I'd get the R6 over a Mk IV. Don't get me wrong, the Mk IV is fantastic. But I've fallen in love with the eye detection AF as well as silent shooting on the EOS R. With that said, I just LOVE the way the Mk IV feels in my hand, and I love the sound of the shutter clicking.
  • Like 1

You asked "which is the better camera?" There are two reasons that no one can give you a good answer. One is the one that Andrew gave: it's a matter of personal preference. The second is that you haven't said what you will use it for. That influences how much various features are worth.

For example, how large do you print? If you print very large, the extra pixels in the 5D IV can be useful. (That's one reason I upgraded from the 5D III to the 5D IV.) if you don't print large and don't crop severely, those pixels won't be much use to you. If you are doing a lot of candids, the eye detection AF in the R6 could be a real plus. If you shoot landscapes, it's worthless.

Thanks to you all for being kind enough to address a difficult question. I didn't mention but, my wife and I, used to do a lot of travel (COVID -19 limited) (wild) bird photography using long lenses. I liked the comments about the eye detection AF(IBIS) image stabilization feature with the R6 so, I'm leaning towards that feature.

I plan to finalize my decision in 2021, so I have some time to decide. Again, thank you all for your comments.

I totally agree with all of you who’ve commented that what you’ll use a camera for, and personal preference, should ultimately matter most.

Having said that, here’s an unequivocal vote for the R6:

1 It’s a much newer model, with the latest sensor and processor

2 Canon is clearly in the process of abandoning DSLRs for the RF mirrorless range

3 For birds and for people, the focus detection is streets ahead

4 Being able to see exactly the exposure you’ll get is also a plus

5 The fold-out screen is very useful

6 The EF-RF adapters give new life to all your EF and EF-S lenses.

My son has a 5D4 and I have an R5 (and an RP and previously had a 6D2), and we’ve shared and exchanged lenses. However, I’m now a mirrorless convert.

I’d note that your question was about the ‘best’. Right now, you should be able to pick up a top DSLR such as the 5D4 at a great price, while the R6 will be at full price.

At B&H at the moment, the two bodies are the same price.

I don't think that Canon may be "abandoning" DSLRs would affect my choice. In fact, it didn't, when I bought a 5D IV in June. They have stopped (at least for now) introducing new EF lenses and high-end DSLR bodies, but they aren't going to stop supporting them, and they are still manufacturing them. However, I honestly don't know which I would choose if I were in your shoes because I don't shoot wild birds much. I suspect that of all the differences between the two models, the two I would think about most would be the AF systems and pixel count (because of the severe cropping I often have to do when I try to shoot wild birds).

I was in the position of having to decide between the 5D4 and the R6, moving from a 5D3 and still using a 7D2. I decided to go with the R6 because of the newer sensor technology and the freakish ability to casually shoot at ISO 12800 or 20000 and much higher with great results.The AF is also outstanding and a in my opinion is another league above the excellent AF in my 7D2, even with its 65 all-cross-point AF. Having an over 6K focus pt array Eye-detection works amazingly well, and once the subject is acquired the camera sticks to it extremely well. The IBIS is also another great feature. I bought the EF-EOS RF adapter and I'm able to use my EF lenses on the R^ with no degradation in AF speed. For me the 20mp is perfectly sufficient, even for landscapes. I don't print huge nor do I crop a lot; I shot landscapes with both the 5D2 and the 5D3 with their 21.1mp and 22mp sensors as did many photographers with outstanding results. For action shooting, the 12fps mechanical shutter and the 20fps electronic shutter are wonderful tools to have in your toolbox. I also have to admit that I actually love having the fully articulated rear monitor, as it gives a lot of flexibility in positioning the camera to frame difficult shots. While I have never been a fan of EVFs, the way that they allow you to view your subject clearly in very low light is enough to make one a convert, and the resolution of the EVFs nowadays is excellent. The last point I'll make (I could go on...) is the RF 24-105mm f/4L (my favorite focal range for general photography) is much better than the EF version 1 that I've been using; I've also read that it is noticeably better than Version 2 as well, but I haven't used Version 2. Needless to say, I love the R6 and am very glad that I have it. None of this takes away from the 5D4 though, as it is an outstanding camera, and one that I would be very excited to have and use. I really went back and forth many times in making a decision, one of the main factors in favor of the 5D4 being that using it would be identical to using my 7D2. Also, the 5D4 has a more rugged build and better weathersealing, both of which are available in the R5, but that camera is more than I need (I'm not a video shooter and I don't need or want 45mp files). In the end though, I just personally felt that I wanted to go ahead and jump into Canon's new system now instead of waiting until later. It really is a matter of preference because you can't go wrong with either choice.

• 4 weeks later...
Thank you all for offering your experiences and recommendations. I now have the EOS R6 camera but, not long enough to learn all the new features available - my wife and I, do bird photography with 500mm and 600mm lenses primarily. Next, I will have to get new software that contains cr3 for processing - using cs6 only allows the use of cr2. (I'm considering the purchase of the RF 800mm f/11 (fixed aperture) lens but, can't find very much feedback). Again, thanks for your thoughts.
  • Like 1

For me the big issue would be the viewfinder - while EVFs are a lot better than they used to be I find that I still get on much better with an optical system. This is obviously a very personal view as many people like EVFs. I also like to be able to focus manually which I find very hard when zooming on an EVF.