What's the best landscape lens for < $300?

chrispeterson

A "landscape lens" could mean different things to different people. I prefer wide angles for landscape and was going to recommend the new Nikkor 10-20mm DX lens with VR. Unfortunately that is an AF-P lens so that it will not focus at all on a D7000, even manual focus. That lens would have been fine on a newer D7100, D7200 or D500, etc.

Sorry. For wide angles on a D7000, probably go for third-party, perhaps used.

I agree wide angle zoom gives you the best flexibility. I've shot for years with simple "kit" Nikkor lenses: 18-70 and 18-105. You have to watch out when buying used because of "sample variation," and some of these inexpensive zooms aren't good, and that goes for third party lenses as well. Buy from a reputable dealer with a solid return policy. KEH has a good reputation.

Chris, as was said, you need to define what you mean by "landscape."

I've used everything between a 24mm to a 200mm lens, on a 35mm camera. Which lens I used depended on what I was shooting, from where I was shooting, and how I wanted it to present. Even in the same scene I would use different lenses or focal lengths on a zoom for multiple shots.

The simplest is to use a mid-range zoom; 18-55, 18-70, 18-105, 18-140. All have the same wide angle, it is only on the long end that they differ.

For a prime (single-focal length) lens, look at the Nikon 35mm f/1.8 for DX, which is very sharp and on sale at B&H for the next two days. For a zoom lens, I very much like the Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8, although mine is an older model. It is now priced just under your budget.

It's true that many different focal lengths can be used for landscape.

For me, the best lens I have used on APS-C for landscapes was the 16-85 f/3.5-5.6 VR; it covered the range I use most for landscapes just fine. Lenses like the 18-105VR or 18-140VR also make a lot of sense. I see no huge benefit in spending extra on fast apertures, for this use anyway.

But indeed many people feel that for landscape, you need wider angles. Instead, some of my landscape images I like most are made with telelenses up to 500mm. There is no such thing as "the best lens for ..." as we all have a different style, different priorities and preferences.

I made a LOT of landscape panorama shots with 50/1.8 AF on D200 and D300 (mainly 2011-2012).

Hand-held. With a bit of practice, that can result in regular quality images.

That combination is still useable today - as is your D7000 - and I would recommend it.

Stitching in (old) PS version, or otherwise.

You get: wide, immersive landscape images with high resolution for pixel-peeping enjoyment.

1425677370_1920px820120126AH2_7876-82I_ZWLandscape@Spitzkoppe12Mpx12.thumb.JPG.b896198c1b52b8f66850ce6ee87124c2.JPG

• Like 1

The nikon kit lenses are rather good at f8 on dx digital. I have tried 18-70mm and 18-55mm GII without VR and seen images from 18-105mm and 18-135mm. 16-85mm might be found used for under $300 if in luck for wider view.

I love to use my manual focus nikon 55mm f2.8 AIS lens for landscapes, as its sharpness is just fantastic. I bought mine used on ebay for $100. You have to use manual focus, but your camera will meter with it mounted as I understand the lens compatibility tables in the D7000 manual.

My next recommendation would be for the 16-85mm zoom lens mentioned above. And the 35mm f1.8 prime also mentioned. That lens new is one of the best buys for DX camera body owners.

• Like 1

Most people think of a wide-angle lens for landscape shots. But "landscape" simply means your subject is the landscape - not a grizzly bear or a flying bird, not a butterfly, not the moon. You can be shooting a beautiful landscape from afar with a telephoto lens.

That said, I recommend a good zoom. I am thinking the well-reviewed Nikon 18-200mm but it's over $300. But I notice some third party in this range that are below $300 and are getting good reviews. You can use it for landscape and then some. Just use it. You will be fine. Don't over-think. :)

The sharpest wide angle zoom you can buy is the Sigma 17-50mm f2.8 OS. After a couple of months of research, that's what I bought for my Nikon D5300. I've been very happy with the lens, bought used on ebay for $250. The Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 VC is close. The only zoom that tests sharper is the $600 Nikon 16-80mm, which sells for about $1,000. I also strongly suggest you buy a polarizer for the lens too, for landscapes.

Kent in SD

I'm definitely thinking something wide angled and sharp. I already own the 50m 1.8 and the 18-200 VR. The 12-24mm looks nice, but is more than I can spend right now.

Third party lenses for 10-24 and 12-24 used can be under $300. Just saw a Tokina 12-24 at B&H for $299.

For APS-C wide angles, consider 3rd part offerings, as they're better value for money. The Tokina 12-24 f/4 can be found 2nd hand at your budget, and is a very respectable lens. The Sigma 10-20 f/4-5.6 doesn't cost much, and will work well. Even better, but they might push your budget, are the Tokina 11-16 f/2.8, or the newer 12-28 f/4 and 11-20 f/2.8.

I generally shoot in the 18mm-200mm range for landscapes. There are a vast number of lenses available in this range. Nikkor's 18-105 kit lens is inexpensive and very useful, if not the sharpest glass in the bag. For UWA, the Tokina 11-16/2.8 can be had used for your budget and is very effective, though not perfect.