Whats the best 35mm SLR?

jonjel

Best for what ? Best for who ? Give a novice a Canon 1v or a Nikon F5 and he will hate the added weight and will not know how to exploit the added features. He will also probably stick a kit zoom on it and wonder why he gets crappy pictures. Also remember that the system is much more important in the long run.

But really, search the archives. There is a lot of info.

Happy shooting ,

Yakim.

First you ask "What's the best SLR," then "What's a good SLR."What is the best or good car, computer, stereo, motorcycle, automatic pistol, power lawnmower, toaster, or ANYTHING? Your job is to familiarize yourself with what's on the market, then match the product to your needs, wants, and budget. You should get a bewildering variety of opinions here, and all will have some validity. Do you want new or used; manual or all the bells and whistles; do you want to be able to avail yourself of the maximum number of lenses and accessdsories, and so on? Do your homework!

I've owned 10 SLRs, at least I counted on my fingers til I ran out and 10 seems like a good enough number, and I still own 11, and I think they're mostly good, I mean if I work 'em right I get nice pix and people even buy them from me to the tune of five-figure gross sales last year, but yeah I have owned some crappy ones too, but what the heck I'll tell you which one's the best ... it's my K1000 no wait that's too clunky and totally devoid of features so it must be the ZX-M but that is manual focus so it must be the Maxxum 7 now there's a safe answer 'cept it has all these features I never use so it must be the XK that's got to be a good answer 'cos I only paid $40 for it so I sure get a bang for those bucks but no wait it's kind of clunky and limited too so it must be the Maxxum 9000, no I misspeak myself it's the 600si but oh yeah Contax, I never owned one, they can't be any good ...

Good Grief. The best SLR is the model that you use to produce the best photos. It can be done with anything, anything at all.

You could always use the "bigger is best" thought pattern. If you do, you might want to try the pentax 67 cameras, Canon's professional eos cameras with the grip comes close to this too, plus you can stick a number of really huge white lenses on the front of it, that makes it even bigger (better).

Of course you could be a rebel and think that smaller is better, in that case you want to check out Pentax's *ist or canon's elan 7,.

Angelo; at the very top of the spectrum I feel that the pro-model Canon is the very best (EOS 1V)however, short of that, Nikon probably has better intermediate 35mm bodies. The range and cost of good lenses for either is comparable. Contax cameras and lenses are very good although expensive when new and depreciate in value faster than some others. Please excuse the rude people who waste their time and yours as though your question is to them only and they have somehow taken time from their important busy lives to answer it for you before.Perhaps those who spend endless hours over many years have heard all of the questions and are loath to hear them repeated but some of us come in during the middle of the movie and want to ask a question without being told to 'Read the book,be quiet,and don't bother us'. Certainly any teacher in any classroom could answer any question by saying "Why are you wasting my time? Go to the library and get your own information." Please ignore the old moldy attitudes which are not helpful. G.E.

A perfectly good question!

Nikon F for finder, durability and ergonomics.

Nikon F2 for finder, nearly as good durability, almost as good ergonomics and for superior versitility.

Pentax LX for versitility, very good durability and portability.

Note: This comes from a fanatic Leica RF user.

Best, eh ...

Old or new, museum quality or special edition?

The more expensive ones are often considered better ... but not when you want to go around photographing in a slum ...

Most expensive would be easier to answer, but why do you care? Maybe someone will hand build you one for $ 1,000,000.00. That would be the best ...

Stupid concepts and questions get the same kind of answers ... Sorry.

Angleo,

Like the pervious poster said, ignore the rude replies you have gotten. They must have forgotten what it was like to be a beginner. Anyways, here is the simple way of choosing a SLR that was explained to me. Go to a camera shop and check them all out, the one that feels the best in your hands is the one you should get. Kind of simple I know but it works. Remember it�s the person behind the SLR that makes the photo great, and not so much the equipment. Just for the record I have a Maxxum 5 and to me it�s the best. DON�T, I repeat, DON�T but it from them. Once you�ve decided on a camera then search online to find the best price, always include S/H in the overall price. Your next question will be �what lens should I get�? Many SLR�s come in a kit that usually is a zoom lens. We�ll be here waiting for that question. Good Luck!

Manuel,

I absolutely do NOT agree with this - "DON�T, I repeat, DON�T but it from them. Once you�ve decided on a camera then search online to find the best price, always include S/H in the overall price."

You are telling him to go to a camera store and use their knowledge and display and then buy from a place that has the best price. For one, he will probably wind up buying from cambridge camera or some other hole that will screw him out of money in the end. Two, if you are going to use the camera store, maybe you should, oh I don't know, buy something from them. Sometimes, especially in the beginning, its good to start using an in-town camera shop to learn. My experience is that the learning that you will pull out of these guys will be worth more than the percentage you might save.

Angelo, we need more information from you to answer this question. This is the reason you are getting smart*ss remarks. Get more specific and figure out what you will want in a camera and then everybody can argue what is best for you. If you are a beginner, than get a few books about learning photography. I can recommend John Shaw's books for nature, and then you might have an idea where you want to go. If you are not a beginner, than we need more information about your shooting style and subject matter.

Angelo, if you are a beginner and intend to develop your technique I suggest you get a

good quality mechanical camera and a simple 50 mm "normal" lens so that you can learn

the basics. Following this stage you should appreciate the inner workings and the crafting

of the photograph. Learn composition, lighting, DOF, hyperfocal distance, etc., etc. Once

you learn the type of picture taking that you most enjoy you should know what kind of

system is best suited for that, whether it includes Nikon, Canon, Contax, Leica, Mamya etc.

My suggestion as iterated by some: Start with the BASICS learn and enjoy and build from

your knowledge.