What's a Photographer's Favorite Laptop?

<p>Hi folks -- my fiancé is a wedding photog. (Massachusetts) with over ten years of experience and we're on the threshold of tying the knot ourselves. I've been thinking of getting him a laptop as a wedding gift as he doesn't yet have one, and I wanted to know your preferences ... I'm hoping he'll eventually want to use it to display ceremony images at the end of the receptions he shoots, so quality and functionality is a consideration. So is price -- at this point I can only go more 'low-to-middle' end. He shoots only Nikon ... can anyone offer any recommendations? Thanks!</p>

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>You know this question is going to start a war, right? :) <br>

Me, I'd want a MacBook Pro. Price point is different for everyone, so how much do you really want to spend? You can get a PC much cheaper if you'd like and there are some very good ones out there, but for me, its just the Mac.</p>

<p>Rich, you're totally off your rocker! MacBooks stink! Blah blah blah flame war blah blah.</p>

<p>I had to laugh when I read that opening line. It's funny 'cause it's true!</p>

<p>I personally use an HP Pavillion but it's only because all of the software I have purchased over the years has been for PC and Microsoft is embedded in me like a tick. Mac is a superior operating system, but it's more expensive to maintain and even more expensive if something breaks. So the question might actually be, do you have the money to support owning a better operating system like Mac? If so, get one. If not, PCs have become tolerable enough to be useful. Finally.</p>

<p>I use my HP to display and process images, and have never had any complaints.</p>

<p>Never thought about the "war" issue, ha, ha ... but seriously, I'd like to hear from current users to know why they chose what they did, (the model) and how it's working out for them. My guy currently uses MS but would <em>love </em>to go Mac, alas, with the economy the way it is, for now we'll stick with what we know.</p>

<p>Victoria -- I think part of the decision is going to be based on the software you use.</p>

<p>I use a Dell XPS laptop running <em>(gasp)</em> WINDOWS VISTA!!!<br>

The Laptop is nearly 3 years old and runs like it's new. I maintain it regularly and keep all of my photos on a networked hard drive.</p>

<p>Here's why I went PC...there's really only two reasons:<br>

<strong><em>Software:</em></strong> I use Photoshop and Lightroom primarily. They're available for both PC and Mac, but Lightroom runs exceptionally well on multi-core processors...something I couldn't afford in a Mac. I also use a variety of other software that just wasnt compatable with Macs 3 years ago.<br>

<em><strong>Cost:</strong></em> 3 years ago, my laptop cost $1300. To get a Mac laptop that would run everything I wanted it to as well as my PC does I would have had to shell out $2500+.</p>

<p>What will I do next?</p>

<p>I don't know. It all depends on what happens with LR 3 and CS5. <br>

Will they run on a Mac as well as a 64-bit quad-core PC?<br>

Will Macs come down in cost?<br>

What other software will I use and will it be available on Mac?</p>

<p>I do know that my next purchase will be a new workstation, not a laptop...and right now I'm leaning towards PC... <br>

To each his own. and let the flame wars begin.<br>

RS </p>

<p>I absolutely love my MacBook Pro-I got a refurbished 15" for $1,300. The MacBook is also a very good computer-Apple currently has a refurbed model for $850. You also don't say if he currently has a desktop computer. If he already has either a windows or a OSX machine and software for that, your decision is pretty much made up as far as platform. If he doesn't have a desktop and software, I would suggest going with the Macbook or Macbook pro. I personally find my multiple Macs to be much more intuitive, stable, and requiring of less maintence than the Windows machine I have.<br>

If you're looking for a Windows laptop for a photographer, I can't really point to specific models, but make sure it has a standalone graphics card as opposed to integrated-photoshop and other graphics programs rely heavily on the graphics processor, so you want to have a good one. As much memory as possible, and don't worry as much about processor speed.</p>

<p>I have to go with the MacBook Pro as well. I have a 15" 2.2ghz core duo model that's a little over two years old. I just (today) upgraded the ram from 2 to 4 GB and it's made a huge difference in processing groups of RAW files in Aperture and Photoshop.</p>

<p>A refurbished or used MacBook Pro with a good sized hard drive (250 gig or so) and 4 gig of RAM would be a great gift.</p>

<p>Another vote for a MacBook or MacBook Pro. If buying new, get him a gift membership to the NAPP (National Association of Photoshop Professionals) and you will get a professional discount from Apple. The two kind of balance out but there are a lot of other benefits to the NAPP as well. A few reasons to get a MBP...</p>

<p>1) your fiance wants to switch!<br>

2) You can run BOTH Mac OS X AND Windows on the same computer (seems to make it a no-brainer to me).<br>

3) I am pretty sure all models will have an extended desktop, the ability to hook up an external monitor. Especially nice if being used to display images at a wedding. You can get this in a Windows laptop but I don't think it's standard (it will cost more than the basic) and I have always found Windows to be very fussy setting up two displays. I do it using projectors and different schools and no two set ups are every the same. I personally think it's timed so that you have 15-minutes of frustration and then it decided to work. That's a joke. Kinda.<br>

4) <em>Less</em> maintenance cost. No need for anti-virus. Less time spent "maintaining" the computer. Actually, there was an independent research firm concluded that for every dollar spent on a M/S product, 7 was spent on IT.<br>

5) Right out of the box he has powerful ways (iLife) of presenting a slideshow at weddings. No extra software needed (although he might want some!).<br>

6) No registry (that's a BIG one).</p>

<p>The list really does go on. And Yes, I love my Macs. Choose wisely.</p>

<p>Take him to a Best Buy or local retailer and get him to play with the laptops there. Find out which ones he likes and then buy it a week later.<br>

The PC and the Mac will both do the same thing for different prices if you're using Photoshop.<br>

I'd recommend staying away from netbooks...they are cheap and easy to lug around, but I can barely edit anything on mine because the 10" screen is just too small to edit large images. I always use my 15.4" laptop screen over my 10" laptop screen if I want to get anything done quickly.<br>

I do recommend dual-core or quad-core processor with lots of memory. Laptop memory isn't as expensive anymore, but if you can get away with getting a laptop with 4GB of ram, go for it.<br /> Once you find one, buy it online and save a ton of money.<br>

I spend $0 on antivirus and maintenance on all of my Windows-based computers. There are very good free solutions. But it's all up to him based on what he liked in the store and what you can afford.</p>

<p>Re John Deerfield:<br>

1) Switching to Mac may mean re-buying and relearning software that you already own and use.<br>

2) You can run Windows on Mac, but it's a compromise rather than the rule.<br>

3) Almost every PC laptop I've ever seen has had an external monitor port. The Dell XPS 16 I use has an HDMI port, a Display Port and a VGA port. Telling the computer to display to the projector is as simple as pressing Windows+P.<br>

4) TCO (Total Cost of Ownership) calculations are at the whim of the person doing the calculations. See <a href="http://techdistrict.kirkk.com/2010/03/11/cost-mac-or-pc-a-look-at-tco/">http://techdistrict.kirkk.com/2010/03/11/cost-mac-or-pc-a-look-at-tco/</a> for a recent one.<br>

5) Windows 7 has equivalents to the slideshow feature in iLife (it's not installed by default, but is offered as an optional installation via automatic updates.)<br>

6) The registry solves a bunch of problems that are real problems. I no registry as a discerning choice. It would seem that apps these days are moving less away from the registry and towards xml files for configuration, alternatively configuration stored in databases.<br>

7) bonus! Realistically the answer is to talk to your partner about it, he's either set on a Mac or he isn't. People with their emotions already wound around a decision are often difficult to sway into the opposite decision regardless of the provision of information that would otherwise lead them to decide differently.<br>

The Dell Studio XPS 16 is quite a nice beast that can be specced out well beyond the equivalent Macbook Pro for a cheaper price (at least last I looked). There's a great forum at <a href="http://forum.notebookreview.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16">NotebookReview.com</a> where advice on laptop choices can be sought.</p>

<p>I use a $300 mini. It does internet, skype, photoshop cs3, Word etc and weighs under 2 lbs. with cord. <br>

Great for travel. Stores photos, updates Blog (erroltrip.wordpress.com) and is the envy of all with 8 lbs. monsters on their sholder.<br>

Also used as part of a Santa shoot in a mall last year. <br>

Macbook can do all this but is heavy and expensive.</p>

<p>What does he normally use? If he uses a PC, buy a PC unless he's hinted that he wants to switch. What do his friends use? It's helpful to have friends who are using the same gear- you can show each other tricks, etc. Lastly, It might be better to give him the cash and let him buy it- computers are a tax deduction.</p>

<p>I use Mac and like them alot, if it matters.</p>

<p>One of the new Macbook Pro's with the i7 processor is what I'm saving my hard earned $'s for. I am a Mac Junkie and probably always will be. I have a Mac Pro at home now and an old Gooseneck iMac G4 that have NEVER given me any problems what so ever. I had a PC for a while but never used it because of how often it crashed and how many updates I constantly had to do. It's totally a personal preference, but I don't trust PC's with my basic information, let alone my important business information.</p>

<p>@ Joshua</p>

<p>1) Most professional software I am aware of behaves the same on Windows or Mac. With the notable exception of the current versions of Microsoft Office. I cannot stand the new interface of M/S office on Windows, whereas on a Mac, every interface I know of, including M/S Office, follows the same OS protocols. What I mean by this is that when I open any application on a Mac I can expect to find my standard menu bar (file, edit, etc). This makes learning any application much easier. On Windows this is more of a guideline- a program can display itself (like office) anyway it wants to making going from program-to-program more confusing. And of course there is always point two.<br /> 2) Why is this the compromise? I have Windows XP installed on my MBP for when I teach. Every review I have read stated that Windows actually ran faster on a MBP.... I imagine that registry work around helped speed things up ;)<br /> 3) I didn't say you couldn't get an Windows laptop with a monitor port. But I am pretty sure the lesser expensive versions don't have them. Getting it to work is another story. Every Mac I have ever owned I plug in my 2nd monitor and viloa', there it is. Every Windows machine I have every worked with (and there have been A LOT), I plug in my 2nd monitor and open up the Control Panel and go to Displays and then figure out how to get it to "see" the 2nd monitor and so on. I do this when I teach at schools using their computers, I do this when I try to help Bride & Grooms get their computers to see a projector and so on. It has never been easy.<br /> 4) Agreed. We could argue TCO all day long.<br /> 5) Which clearly outlines two things (for me anyway). One, it just isn't simple. I have to download the update to do it. Is that a huge deal no. But then why make me do it? Two, the Apple OS is just that, an OS. There applications are separate from the OS. M/S has been in HUGE trouble for NOT separating Windows Exploring from the OS yet they continue to embed applications for their benefit (it does me no benefit). Heck, another piece of software that drives me nuts on Windows is just simply the DVD player. On a Mac, I get a free DVD player application. Simple. On Windows, I get several choices of DVD playback software. Most of which are stripped down free versions where the "real" version costs more money (going back to that TCO argument ;)<br /> 6) I have never seen the registry solve anything. The registry is THE reason a PC gets slower and slower over time. The registry tracks everything, including software you have removed. The larger that database gets, the slower your PC becomes. You can do a clean install (recommended PC or Mac anyway every now and then)(but then installing OS X is a breeze.... Installing Windows has always been a HUGE PIA) and there is registry "cleaning" software (there's that pesky maintenance and TCO thing again) but this brings me about to nothing good I know of comes from the registry.<br /> 7) That was my first point, the OP said he would <em>love</em> a Mac.</p>

<p>I love telling the story about why I switched and anyone is free to email me for it! I don't want to add gas to the fire here so to speak!</p>

<p>Prior to 2000, I was a STAUNCH PC person. Then I had a job that only used Macs. That's when I realized how much better they really are than PCs. They truly are a good example of you get what you pay for. I'm on my 3rd Mac that I've owned. The first was an old mac powerbook from a job that had upgraded to iBooks, so they gave it to me for free. That puppy lasted YEARS. In 2006 I got a macbook, and in late 2009 I gave my old macbook to my mom and got a new macbook. Some of the more soupped up macbooks are nearly identical to the current mac book pros. This can cut off some of the price tag, instead of getting a mac book pro. While iPhoto isn't nearly as great as lightroom, it is pretty great for an out of the box product on your computer. You can do several of the same types of manipulations, and it will process RAW files. <br>

But the real question is, what do you really see him using it for? If it really is just to show the photos to people at the reception from the ceremony, etc, there are MUCH cheaper ways to do this. The PC realm is probably smarter to go with if that's the main intended use for it. Because frankly, if you are using it as a slide show projector, he will have to leave it unattended when he is shooting the reception. If this is a computer he is going to work on for processing digital images, etc, this is probably NOT the computer he wants just left lying around, where it is likely to get knocked off a table, steped on, cracked, or stolen (if you don't have a lock leash on it). <br>

From a newlywed's perspective, I'd just offer this bit of personal advice. If you are paying for the wedding yourself and finding it a VERY expensive proposition, then buying him a new computer if he has a well functioning one right now is probably not the best idea. Come the day of, you both will be so happy to be getting married, that giant presents like that really aren't that necessary. Being slammed with the bills for the wedding after and then a computer that is going to cost at least a grand isn't too much fun. If you think the cost is going to stress you out, don't get it. If money isn't an object for you guys at all, then sure, do it up right, get him a mac book pro, and a cinema monitor screen and light room or aperture and adobe photoshop. Keep in mind, if he isn't a student anywhere though, these programs are fairly expensive (both for mac or PC). <br>

Hope that helped. And congratulations on your pending nuptials! ;)</p>

<p>@John<br>

1) Re-buy was the core message I was trying to impart here. OP's husband already has a PC and presumably software to manage photos. Re-buying all that software in a Mac version means that this is a significant cost. Photoshop alone costs photoshop price for the mac = $700USD, moving photoshop license from old PC to new laptop = $0. I agree that for a user experienced with Office, the new UI paradigm can take a bit to get used to. For me, the UI works, and is more usable than the alternative toolbar design.<br>

2) The reviews stating that the MBP running Windows faster weren't even correct at the time those reviews were done <a href="http://gizmodo.com/331223/macbook-pro-fastest-windows-laptop-not-so-fast">http://gizmodo.com/331223/macbook-pro-fastest-windows-laptop-not-so-fast</a>. This was only true for a short period of time. My statement that running Windows on a Mac is a compromise is based on the numerous incompatibilities that are found in doing this. See <a href="http://www.macwindows.com/">http://www.macwindows.com/</a><br>

3) We're not suggesting lesser expensive PC models though are we? We're comparing to the very expensive MBP. I'd assume we should be comparing to not so expensive but still decent PC laptops, not the bottom end. Again, I'll reiterate, plugging an external monitor in Windows 7 (which we can assume that any new PC comes with these days) just works. Not really a comparative point in that case.<br>

4) This point has intentionally been left blank<br>

5) Am I to understand that you're suggesting that a) OSX is better because it includes apps, but b) Windows is worse because it used to includes apps but got in trouble for that? But then you're complaining that a freely available app is about 4 clicks away from a standard install. Windows 7 supports DVD playback using Windows Media Player or Windows Media Center if you're using it as a home theatre setup. This functionality is free, not a stripped down version of an external piece of software. Neither OSX or Windows 7 support Blu-ray playback without adding additional software. (Though perhaps that's a moot point with the MBP given that it doesn't come with a Blu-Ray drive...).<br>

6) You've probably never worked in a corporate IT environment where the Registry solves many many problems that would be significantly harder to address with the way that OSX does settings. That the registry is "The reason gets slower and slower over time" is a bit misleading. (<a href="http://serverfault.com/questions/51751/system-degredation-does-windows-slow-down-over-time">http://serverfault.com/questions/51751/system-degredation-does-windows-slow-down-over-time</a>). Registry cleaning software is snakeoil and serves no purpose for a properly maintained system. Installing Windows 7 is a breeze (2-3 clicks from CD insertion to running machine IIRC).<br>

7)<br>

senor croc: "Lastly, It might be better to give him the cash and let him buy it- computers are a tax deduction."<br>

+1 on this. As an IT professional, I'd hate for my partner to buy me computer equipment compared to giving me the cash and letting me buy the equipment. Whilst I'd appreciate the gesture, it would be a non-optimal way of doing me a favour. OP's fiance might be the same, and might have his own notion of what he wants better than a MBP. Communication is key in any good marriage.</p>

<p>yes, perhaps you can do what I sometimes do with my husband for presents that are on the more expensive end. Put a picture of the product in an envelope and say, a new laptop of your choice or something. Not quite as fun, but can result in a happier ending.</p>

<p>I would suggest the Macbook Pro. Preferably the 17" model.</p>

<p>I use the 15" model, and it's fine for my needs. But your husband-to-be shoots weddings professionally, and well the 17" Macbook Pro just looks cool and will make a very good impression on the clients.</p>

<p>If the laptop is really getting out of your price range, you might consider, gulp, an...iPad! It's pretty cheap, won't really replace a full blown computer, but might just be the hippest way to show off some photographs while on the job!</p>

<p>If your fiance is a wedding photographer he must have a <strong>desktop</strong> computer, right? Assuming it's a PC, you'd probably want to stay with the Windows platform in a laptop.</p>

<p>Personally, I dumped all my PC gear years ago for a mac.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I was a PC person until I used MAC's at work and then shortly afterward upgraded to a MacBook Pro. (I work for an Ad Agency doing Photo and Graphics editing). MAC is definitely superior in my opinion.<br>

Adobe allowed me to simply swap - cost free - my PC version of Photoshop for MAC version. Many of my friends have also done this so if you already have current version Photoshop for PC, it's free to switch to MAC. Or, with CS5 on near horizon, you can upgrade to MAC version from your current PC version.</p>

<p>@ Joshua!<br>

1) There is nominal charge ($10?) to transfer a Windows licensed Photoshop to a Mac version. But yes, getting new versions of software can add up. Or again, you could just run a dual boot system. My problem with the file menu is that on Windows it is NOT seamless: any app can do whatever it darn well pleases. This can be confusing. On a Mac, every app conforms to a standard Window!<br>

3) Some will suggest getting a lesser expensive PC laptop because they are less expensive. However, a lesser expensive laptop may not support dual displays. That point aside, I personally have never had an easy time making Windows "see" the 2nd display. However, I have not used Windows 7.<br>

5) No. I am saying that Microsoft has had legal woes for embedding Internet Explorer into the OS here and in other countries. IE wasn't a separate program that could just be uninstalled and that was that. Whereas Mac may include apps such as iLife, but they are not built into the OS. You can delete them without any issues. Finally, I am saying that iLife works out of the box, I don't need to install an update to make it work. It goes back to the "it just works" paradigm.<br>

6) No, I do not work in IT. One of the reasons I like my Mac :) Installing Windows 7 may be a breeze and that would be a blessing. It only took M/S 10-years (maybe more, I am just going off when I switched to Mac!) to make it simple!</p>

<p>Just clarifying some of my points.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>1) Well may that be, however if you want to use adobe software (PS/LR) on multiple computers, does that still work for Mac/PC versions? I.e. if he keeps the PC and buys a Mac laptop does the transfer to Mac version invalidate the PC version? If he buys a PC laptop, the licensing explicitly allows multi-use - i.e. $0 for use on his desktop and laptop, so long as their not in use simultaneously. Is there such a nominal transfer charge for the other software that he uses (Office, ...)? Seamless menus are a personal choice. I respect your opinion that you don't like the way this is up to the individual app. I grew up and have been using PCs since the early 80s. To me, the Mac menu paradigm just feels wrong. I perceive the unit of interaction as a window, each window having menus / other controls. Mac sees the unit of interaction as an application, each having a menu. Neither is right or wrong. Neither is particularly hard to get used to or a differentiator that can be used for more than personal preference between the two platforms.<br>

3) I think you're suggesting that I'm talking about budget model laptops. Phooey to budget models. Dell Studio XPS or the equivalent spec HP / Lenovo is all I'd really consider suggesting here. Past issues in previous versions of windows aren't really relevant if the issue has been fixed.<br>

5) I was being a little cheeky on the IE thing ;) The minimal effort required to install the Windows Live Essentials tools wouldn't sway me on choice of platform. Not installing this stuff is the right thing for an OS that is used for many things (e.g. I use many virtual machines for software development purposes, I don't want anything on those machines except what is actually needed for development.) There is also the concept of Attack Surface. The more applications that you install on a box, the more you increase the likelihood of being insecure. Your claim that Mac is secure is not supported by real world data. At the Pwn2Own contests held annually, the Mac is usually the first one to be broken into.<br>

6) Again, past history does not dictate my present advice about systems. If we were still stuck with XP / Vista, my advice would be possibly different. The Apple did that first argument is done to death, so I won't bite on that one.<br>

BTW, I'm not saying that a MBP is the wrong tool for this situation at all, just that other tools might work just as well and giving the required information that may help the OP assess whether that is the case. I own an iPod and I think it's a brilliant piece of tech. I intend to buy a iPhone 4 when they come out to replace my piece of junk WindowsMobile phone.</p>