What's a good starter Nikon film SLR to fool around with?

aaron_d.

<p>My first SLR camera was digital, so I don't have any experience with film SLRs. I'm currently shooting with a d300, which I really enjoy. I also still use and like my d80. I'd like to try using some of my lenses with a film camera though, for an alternate look. My 105mm f/2 DC is the lens I'd most like to try with film. I also have a 35mm f/2 that would be fun to use as a wider angle lens. </p>

<p>Coming from Nikon's DSLRs, what would be a good, basic film SLR? <br>

I'm a little baffled by the variety out there. Coming from digital, I don't always understand the pros and cons, even informed reviews.<br>

I'm ok with manually setting the exposure, but a reliable meter would be nice. Autofocus would also be prefered (it doesn't need to be lickety-split fast), but manual focus would be ok too. Ideally, I'd like to spend $200 or less. Any ideas?</p>

<p>Thanks!</p>

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>$200 or less? You can find a Nikon F100 for that price range, I bought mine on ebay for $152 with free shipping, and it's in mint condition. Or if you want to go really cheap, get a Nikon N80. Both would work with AF lenses (not DX lenses though) and VR and all that. The F100 is a classic, and I highly recommend it!</p>

<p>like Dave said F80 or F100.<br>

At the current prices I'd look for a decent F100 as it allows for 1/3 stop aperture and shutter time increments. The F80 only does half stops but it has a build in flash.<br>

One word of caution tough the F100 can be very addictive.</p>

<p>The F801s (AKA 8008s in the States) is plentiful and cheap and will give you the best of both worlds between AF and MF lens compatibility. Except for the cheap bit, the same goes for an F4 if you can find or afford one. You might find it limiting to lock yourself into a purely MF body, or you might find it refreshing. You probably won't know until you've tried it!</p>

<p>There is no better deal on the used market right now than the F100. It is one of the best film cameras Nikon ever made. And with the MB-15 grip it feels great in your hands. The only major drawback to the F100 is the lack of mirror lock-up if that is important to you, it sometimes is to me which is why I also carry an F4s. If you own older manual focus lenses I'd get the F4s. If you have ANY G-type or VR lenses then go for the F100. F5's are very heavy and still about 3 or 4 times the price of the F100.</p>

<p>Size, weight, features, and build the F100 is perhaps the best camera Nikon made.</p>

<p>Alternately, the N90s is a pretty nice camera. I don't know I've seen an F100 for $200 often, those still sell for a decent price. But N90s go for almost nohthing (under $100 and as little as $50).</p>

<p>IMO, the F5 is too much camera to "play around with", as is the F4. The F4 is a great camera though, some very nice features including MLU and 100% viewfinder. Plus, you can hammer nails or tent stakes with it if need be.</p>

<p>So N90 or F100 with the F100 being the better long term investment.</p>

<p>It seems your existing lens kit includes some FX (non-DX) lenses. While I agree with the F100 recommendation, for "playing around" (which I'm assuming means not fussing too much about all the features and primarily trying it out), almost any more recent consumer Nikon camera will work fine with your lenses and meter and autofocus. Find one that is cheap and in decent condition and shoot as much film as you can and don't worry about the body. Check the lens compatibility tables to get maximum overlap with your existing lenses; if they are mostly autofocus there won't be many issues. Almost any of the basic consumer AF Nikon bodies will work and they can be had for $50-100 without hunting too much. You could spend a lot of time on ebay or just run and find any old used body quickly to try it out. If you like it and want something with more awesomeness later, great, you'll have a nice backup body; if it turns out you don't like film, no great loss. Expect to spend more on film processing than the camera costs!</p>

<p>Unless you're planning to do sports or other action-oriented photography, I think the F/N80 is a still better way to go over the F100. It can be had in great condition at rock-bottom prices (my basically mint condition copy checked in at $70 from Adorama with shipping). It features a very quiet shutter, and its main drawback is that it can't meter with manual focus lenses. AF-S works normally, however.</p>

<p>Good suggestions above, but no one is adequately addressing the huge gulf between the recent highly automated and sophisticated film cameras such as the F100 and N80, and the generally much older manual focus cameras (FE, FM, etc., as well as the recent FM3a) with far fewer features but small size and simpler operation. The choice of one category or the other really comes down to personal taste though each category has its own advantages.</p>

<p>For landscapes and still-life types of shooting in particular there is a lot to be said for the older cameras, as you really don't need autofocus and you have time to make manual adjustments for things like exposure compensation. These cameras encourage a slower, more contemplative sort of photography. The ergonomics are not as good but the cameras are lightweight and compact. Winding is manual. You can also pick up great manual focus lenses relatively cheaply in many cases. </p>

<p>In contrast, the more recent cameras are a godsend for shooting on the fly and especially for action. They also make better use of the newer lenses and such features as VR. The camera bodies are contoured for a better and more comfortable grip, but the size is larger and the weight mostly greater (often much greater). Winding is automatic and you can shoot multiple shots quite rapidly.</p>

<p>Shooting with each of these two categories of cameras is a very different experience. Ideally you'd be able to try both out before deciding. Realistically, the more recent cameras will be much closer to what you are accustomed to using. The N80 is lightweight and compact but the F100 has a better viewfinder and is more durable. Either would be an excellent choice. If you find that you like film then later on you might try an FE or FM (which can be obtained dirt cheap and which can still use your autofocus lenses) just so you can experiment with an older style of photography.</p>

<p>In the end, use what works best for you... though you might just find yourself keeping several divergent types of systems around for different kinds of photography.</p>

<p>If your primary cameras are the D300 and D80, I think it is very unwise to get anything in the FM/FE family or anything manual focus. All new lenses in these days are G, and they are practically useless on those manual-focus bodies.</p>

<p>Today, even the F100 is dirt cheap in the used market. Just get either that or an F80/N80 for better compatibilities with your DSLRs. They are also fully compatible with the VR feature.</p>

<p>Nothing like an FM2/FM2n and the sunny 16 rule to complement those auto focus D lenses. It also looks cool when entangled with the batteries and a plethora of cables that come free with the D300. I just wish my D200 looked as sleek as the Fm2n. Also, a few years from now the FM2n will possibly cost just as much as when I bought it 7 years ago, while the D200... I forget the deal with G lenses, but AFAIR they stop down to the smallest aperture when you click; kinda like a coolpix that gives you a shallow depth of field only if you're handy with gaussian blur.</p><div>00TQuE-136887984.jpg.c07863ecadff7c4f226ad64b2235f0ce.jpg</div>

<p>I have considered the same idea but have yet to take the plunge.</p>

<p>My suggestion is to spend a bit for and get a lot more camera for the buck. I have not used a Nikon film body since the N80 so perhaps someone can evaluate this eBay setup: F4S, MB-21 battery pack, DP-20 viewfinder - $330 with shipping. Looks like a great deal on a great camera. I also saw a F3 for $260 with shipping.</p>

<p>Although you cannot find one for $200, the F5 is plentiful on eBay these days (although KEH is safer by far).</p>

<p>Starter camera? No, but why not start with what you might wind up with anyway, so that you do not buy twice? Many prefer the F100 or N80, but the "Big Dog" is out there, and it is arguably no more difficult to operate. Besides, you can grow with it, and it is capable of withstanding a lot of abuse.</p>

<p>It's heavy, of course, but they all get heavy fast with anything much longer than the 50. If you should get one, try to get one that was owned by an amateur who did not put a lot of wear on it.</p>

<p>Just a thought. . . .</p>

<p>--Lannie</p>