What's a 35mm M ASPH Summilux worth?

<p>Hi all, <br>

It's been a long, long since I've posted here, so I hope the question is appropriate. <br>

I've got a 35mm M, black ASPH Summilux that I purchased back in September of 2000. The serial number begins with 3889. It's in perfect condition and I have the warranty card, box, hood, case, etc.<br>

I've decided to sell it, as I haven't used it for a couple of years and I'm probably not going to. (Still keeping my M6 TTL and 50mm Summicron though, so I might be back here at some point!) I'm having a hard time figuring out what it's worth. The prices on eBay, what I paid, what it's selling for new now, and some other places are all wildly different. <br>

I'd appreciate any thoughts on what a reasonable price for it is. <br>

Thanks, <br>

Fergus</p>

<p>Prices on eBay vary with the reputation of the seller, and how much camera equipment they sell. They vary with the phase of the moon as well. The next few months will probably have lower than usual prices on eBay, normally a dead time of the year there for cameras.<br>

Dealer sale prices on used gear are at least twice what they will pay for the same item. You can't sell it for what Tony Rose, Leica Village, Classic Collection, KEH, and others can ask.</p>

<p>In perfect condition, and with all the accessories that came in the box, it's worth at least $2,400. This lens does not come up often in the used market, and it goes well with the M8 (equivalent to a 47mm lens, so the closest to a 50mm), so it is in high demand.</p>

<p>A new one goes for $4,200 (<a href="http://www.bhphoto.com">www.bhphoto.com</a>), and Leica has price increases every three months, like clockwork.</p>

<p>The good thing for you is that the lens will appreciate the longer you hold it, so indecision about selling it will actually make you money, unlike the wonderful stock market.</p>

<p>Best of luck!</p>

<p>Thanks for all the replies. It's amazing how much they have gone up in price since when I bought mine! I think I paid $2600 for it back in 2000 and now the same lens (more or less) is $4200? Hard to see how Leica justifies that. <br>

Either way, someone is probably going to get a good deal since I put it on craigslist for $2100. <br>

Thanks,<br>

Fergus</p>