what you like to photograph, age, job and interests for help with third year campaign project for Olympus

rochelle_walker_daniels

<p>Hi i am currently studying advertising and media and am currently working on a campaign to re establish Olympus camera in a bid to increase their market share in the digital camera market.<br>

I therefore need data that include what type of people currently buy Olympus cameras and what your lifestyle, hobbies and interests are like.<br>

I would also be interested to know what you like to picture to help actually produce a advert or commercial for Olympus.</p>

<p>Any help will be greatly appreciated - age and gender when posting will also be greatly appreciated</p>

<p>Cheers</p>

<p>Rochelle</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I'm going to throw my hat only half in the ring. I've got to admit I'm an Olympus fan-boy... but the problem is I'm an Olympus FILM fan boy. But what brought me to Olympus was never the ads... although the ads for the underwater digi camera that I saw in a photo store once where pretty cool... no, what brought me to Olympus was the cameras. My dad shot an OM1 in the 80's and my mom shot variations of the Stylus throughout the 80's and 90's. When I first got into photography I went for the obvious choice, Canon... at the time, (mid 90's) Canon was still supporting the FD mount and their prices and lens selection where much better than Nikon. Then the world went AF, and then shortly after digital. And in that space of time, my dad gave me his old OM1... and he told me why he bought his. He bought his OM1 in the early 80's after seeing the gorilla Koko shooting one on the cover of National Geographic... "if an ape can use it, then I can use it" That magazine cover was more advertisement than Olympus could have dreamed of actually paying for.</p>

<p>And then came my turning point in photography. Holding and operating the OM1 was like a drug experience... it opened my mind... to how a camera SHOULD be designed and built. The camera is so beautifully and perfectly thought-out that picking one up is religious for my small hands. And then I found a Pen EES2 at a flea market and I fell deeper in love. And the stunning compact lenses and flashes... and the 35-RC and the XA! WOW! I think Olympus's best selling point used to be the cameras themselves. Obviously the person who is going to buy a Nikon F and wants a big heavy camera with all the bells and whistles is never going to be satisfied with an OM1... but Olympus wasn't designing cameras for that user. I personally think Olympus's biggest problem right now is they are attempting to force 4/3's cameras into a Canon EOS hole in an illogical attempt to attract users who actually really want a Canon... instead of focusing more heavily on the users who don't want a Canon at all, who are turned off by the size of the cameras and the way that they operate.</p>

<p>I don't own a digital camera other than a rinky-dink P-N-S that takes photos of my other cameras. If I DO end up buying a digital SLR, I would love for it to be an Olympus... but I'd also love for it to really BE an Olympus, and not just another copy of a Canon EOS camera which seems to be most of the dSLR's in the entire market. The E-300 series was a great stab, but maybe it was a little premature and it was definitely too big. Maybe this whole Micro 4/3's thing will turn things around and set Olympus off in the right direction, but if they foul it up, there's not a whole lot that advertising is going to do to fix it. But if they manage to produce a camera with intuitive easy-to-use unique controls that also has professional features like options for metering and AF-confirm with manual focus lenses and wireless connections for the flash system... then they might have a real winner on their hands. A camera that is just as comfortable in your pocket at a house-party as it is synced to a lighting system during a modeling shoot, that goes unseen in the street but produced professional results on-demand... that's the kind of camera I'd be interested in. And once they have a great NEW product that is exciting in it's own right... maybe then you can generate an amazing ad campaign.</p>

<p>I'm 30 years old, an art-college educated male. I work at a church, hang out at bars, go hiking camping and traveling. At my age, I'm attending lots of weddings and baby showers for friends and cousins... events that quickly shift gears from formal to casual, from structured to drunken. I'm buying up used Olympus OM gear because they are great cameras that are unfortunately no longer available new. I'm probably not your market at all, but that's what I've got to say.</p>

<p>I would not participate in a sweeping survey without some focused questions that could be conceivably useful. Are we adults around here or what?<br>

How could you, R. W-D, possibly tabulate the answers? And what kind of sample do you expect from this forum? This is the sort of marketing information Olympus would get from its users by package inserts and greater participlation if there was an incentive (like prepaid postage). It is just hard to accept your query on face value. And I am not about to give out info to somebody who just joined the forum...Regrets, cannot attend your partty. Better luck next time....</p>

<p>Now, how about first giving us your background, education, age, gender, home state, family size, income, experience, name of faculty advisor, and other background about what you know and how you have been chosen for this project. And what do you suspect already about Olympus and its buyers that you are trying to winnow down? Are you talking about which line of cameras....their point and shoots have done pretty well in the market...</p>

<p>Also, name of your official contact person at Olympus USA or Norway or whatevah....sounds like a high school project to me...and a little beyond your scope of ability. sorry( Olympus users are all a little neurotic you know). gs</p>

<p>i am an olympus film user. a battered old om4 body, a couple of zuiko lenses and a host of third party wide angles. i bought an om 40 body and a big bulky zoom from that auction site around two and half years ago. i have absolutely no idea why i bought it. i used a point and shoot canon digital before that. it was a serious point and shoot camera with manual modes, however, i can't say that i was remotely intersted in before buying the om40. the first five rools were disasters. not one were sharp. i struggled. i had an operation, nothing to do with owning an olympus camera, but the aftermath allowed me time to read and understand photography. slowly, i started buying better quality glass and began to shoot more.<br>

i liked the compactness. having read so much about the om single digit series it was inevitable that i might get one. i did. the om4 looks like an old warhorse. the shutter speed ring is so still that i can only use it in aperture priority mode. however, i like the small footprint. the zuiko 100 f2.8 lens seems like a marriage made in heaven. i bought a 50 f1.4 as well but prefer the smaller 50 f1.8.<br>

i shot with the om4 even less after purchasing a bessa r rangefinder. since i prefered to take most pictures when travelling, it made sense to have a smaller body than the om4. i shot with both cameras at a friend's art exhibition last summer. a pro with a big nikon digital body came and talked to me about my battered old little cameras. he was the same age as well and had never really used film. he was curious that someone who wanted serious results would still be using such old specimen. i told him the truth smilingly. i was broke. i checked the post processed results of his carefully composed images later and compared to my on the fly high speed black and white and transparencies. i didn't think mine were too bad.<br>

since that show, i have occasionally used the om4. when i take it out it is always the size that pleased me. since i only get negetives developed once every few months there is a natural delay in between getting the pictures and the actual shooting. the more i shoot the better the results get. i have had to learn how to use the om system. the rangefinder is much easier and involves a little less thinking. the multispotmeter is rather lovely.<br>

i bought a digital body towards the end of last summer. i was thinking of the e410 but being in the financial situation that i was, i had to choose a sony a100 at a discounted price. the body is really ugly. i really don't like travelling with it even after acquiring a couple of older minolta lenses. i would love to buy the olympus version of this mini four third standard. can't wait to try to cosina-voightlander or even my older leitz glass on a body like that!</p>

<p>Advert: -Nine out of ten gastroenterologists and proctologists all recommend Olympus. Olympus shines where the sun never does. You can trust the company that makes them the right size where an instrument must work every time all the time. No seat of the pants company. Ask your MD about the name "Olympus"- )(appeal aimed to the demographic of old traditional precision loving filmniks, neurotics, and of course we hypochondriacs.. )</p>

<p>Hi Gerry. That was rude and obnoxious. BTW a rep for peterbilt once asked us the same on a trucking board. They didnt want stats. They wanted to know who we were and what we were interested in. Some of the changes in the new trucks (that cost 6 figures btw) seem to reflect some of what we told them.</p>

<p>I love oly because they've been the best at LONG and quality/price ratio for a long time. Unless you only buy top end stuff and are an early adopter you cant beat oly. Their only downsides are ISO and lens choice (PRIMES people. And LONG primes!). But from their prosumer cameras (I still love my c2100uz though its donated to my mom) to the eseries their cameras are perfect for wildlife/outdoors/sports. The only people thing canon/nikon beat oly at are indoor/low light shoots. Period. And that is pure sensor. Nothing beats carrying my 70-300 zoom and getting a 500mm equiv shot standing next to a guy with a canon and a 200 hes straining to hold up and has to worry he might trip over.</p>

<p>To G.S<br>

If this is not your cup of tea then i suggest you do not reply to the topic i have posted as it was rude, I am as I previously stated studying for a degree - this is at the University of Chester. I am indeed new to this forum and from my breif experience from your response has left me disappointed - are you trying to discourage people from participating in something i assumed was social and polite. I must admit my post has clearly been confusing to you - this campaign is part of my degree and the finish product will be exhibited in Liverpool and London for D and D. Therefore the purpose of this is to get an idea of the type of people who use Olympus DSLR cameras so that i can construct an advert to that target audience.<br>

Nice to see that you are so accommadating when people are in need of help for research purposes - i am by the way 21 years of age from England so i think you'll find High school was a good 5 years ago.</p>

<p>To P.D<br>

Thank you for your detailed response, this has been very useful. I am currently producing mood boards about the lifestyles and target audience of Olympus cameras so that i can create an advert that they will be attracted to. More than that i am trying to discover long-term solutions to the problems faced by the brand which include consumers favoring Nikon and Canon and some areas of the market being overlooked - as in the female market.</p>

<p>Yes, I guess I was a little bit rude or at least abrupt in the way I replied, Rochelle. I don't know about "obnoxious,"--I did not directly intend to insult your intent or personal integrity Rochell, though I did demean your approach-- but yes, a little over the top sailor- crude about my remark about the medical applications that make up the major business of the company ( a wry joke that clearly fell flatter than a burnt piece of toast, oh well...).<br>

It was my rude way of suggesting, Rochelle, that a survey can be conducted in a more sophisticated way. I have designed questionnaires in college and your post struck me as more than a bit naive in its design,per se. Nothing personal. We don't know your project and your intent until you gave us some explanation... And if I gave offense by my tone, than an apology is due.<br>

If you are serious,and I see you are, how about asking a series of questions that are focused on broadening appeal to a certain segment, i.e. women. Or seek to know how Olympus compares with those who use both Olympus as well as Canons. (And that latter would not take enormous content analysis "to derive whatever it is you are trying to derive. I suggest, also, that you seek to define what the name "Olympus" conveys vis a vis Canon and Nikon. And also see it in a cross cultural manner. Why is Oly more popular in the European theater than North America. is it a function of number of advertisements and where they are placed? Perhaps there is a tie between Olympus and other pursuits. Once could hypothesize that hunters and birders will pick Olympus so they have room for their gear and binoculars..See what I am getting at?<br>

And how one thinks Olympus can distinguish itself in the marketplace. What does Olympus convey...yes, medical instruments we see all the time, microscopes, endoscopes, and that is a fact,not a joke.<br>

Rochelle, pray tell 'what is a mood board?" And if you are trying to appeal to more women- a fair design query, then clearly you realize that the membership who will participate are not in that demographic in photo net as much as other online locations. I chose Olympus for feel factor, it just felt right. And its introductory lenses were superb and well priced compared to the top Canons. Also I got a chance in one java ad to actually operate the first camera,the E-1, in virtual reality. And last but not least, the design was a departure from the same old style..I admire a new approach which Olympus managed to convince me they were going after. ( and I committed a lot of my cash to that venture by the way and retain loyalty even as the first offering plopped in it target audience- the professional or aspiring pro) </p>

<p>Being of the male persuasion and firmly retired, I want a camera that can be versatile. I do not follow one brand exclusively, One can get along with one body and two good lenses...and I am attracted to zoom lenses more than ever. I believe this to be true to most shoppers male and female...Olympus kit lenses are great for the money. As someone says "bang for the buck." Or the pound sterling. I guess I retreat from my earlier skepticism and see that your purpose is serious. Your design may need some structure still. I wish you well in your work ( I once interviewed for Proctor and Gamble--I bombed miserably, tough pressure interview) and that tiding to you is a genuine one. Good luck, a tough game advertising... Aloha, gs</p>

<p>I happen to take photography seriously, and I've been an Oly user since the advent of the OM-1 when I was in college. Currently, most of my work is shot with the E-3. It's a fantastic DSLR.<br /><br />Outside of wedding and international assignments, I'm involved with several photography groups in the metro-Atlanta area and have taught Photoshop.<br /><br />Some of the things I enjoy is writing, golf, Boston Red Sox (a fan since 1966), learning Italian, and international travel. I'm probably not your average Joe.<br /><br />The other cameras I've used over the years include the Speed Graphix 4x5 with Linhof lens, Hasselblad 500 C/M, Rolleiflex f/2.8D, Voigtlander Bessamatic, Bronica ETRSi, and OM-1 and 2.<br /><br />I still use the OM glass such as the 55mm f/1.2 with the E-3. It makes a great portrait lens which I often use for engagement setting shots.<br /><br />If you need any further information, I can be reached at <a href="mailto:atlantaMAXphoto@yahoo.com">atlantaMAXphoto@yahoo.com</a><br /><br />Ciao, a presto (Bye, see ya)</p>

<p>Max's comment is another angle of attack. Olympus has not been associated broadly in our ads with professional use. I might go after promoting a series of ads that show it can and is being used by professionals who find it equal to Canon but lighter and just as well built for less moolah..and it has a growing SYSTEM, ( it is a growing SYSTEM that people are not as aware of as they might be. Tie to Panasonic is no problem and can be exploited. why would a giant pick the basics of this new lens mount and sensor and guts) even as-Olympus- is behind in the race, it is no tortoise..the G-1 may be the most interesting thing to hit the road. We are getting choice and a future orientation with 4/3...whereas the othe guys are stuck with the last century... The fact that the E-3 and the 12-60 SWD are superfast in response is nice enough as a spec, but it is great to PROMOTE same and that pros who shoot in all weather, all situations, weddings, and sports too in all countries are getting on board w/ Olympus which can deliver the goods to demanding clients..(Oly was poopooed for 5 megapixels for so long we forget its fast lenses) and Everybody nowadays wants to be considered an aspiring professional in the rough. Everyone want an SLR with some simplicity in its soul--like the new E 30 for instance..always can go to the auto mode ( and can deliver in all seasons and for all reasons if you so want. Take it to Machu Picchu, it will make the trip fine or to a baby shower).</p>

<p>Their line of higher end lenses (look at the construction,even the teleconverters are yummy) and bodies have the best materials available and their use of fast focus motors and clever personalized touch is also appealing.This is a company that designed the O product which was a symbol, an expression of willingness to go a little off the beaten track. We all aspire to be pros, even as we call ourselves " serious amateurs." Want to think like a pro, go for the big "O." Or if you are demanding in quality and don't want to carry your system in a flatbed trailer or a little dolly truck...( No charge for any ideas which cause a spark or ignition:-)) aloha, gerry, beachcomber at heart but serious.</p>

<p>I agree with Patrick Dempsey's comments! Olympus should shut down it's original 4-thirds effort and go all out on the micro four thirds! In the midst of a huge recession, it will be impossible to fully supoort both efforts in any event. And with the huge buzz of excitement on the Panasonic G1, it's obvious that the new MFT system is a winner and can be taken seriously in a way that the original FT system never could. <br>

Of course in the distant future (3-5 years out), Olympus should come out with a full frame DSLR that can fill the original Olympus OM niche--when the sensor and lens technology is ready!<br>

I'm not sure how a micro analysis of consumer behavior and preferences can substantially alter the current Olympus market position! In fact, a continued effort by Olympus to push the original four thirds, I think will lead to further decline in market share.</p>

<p>I disagree with both f.p. and patrick on their shopping list. One can't cram a quart into a pint jar. And satisfy all constituents. Olympus has commited to a system of four thirds with a mirror box and optical finder. And will enter the micro sweeps too. It will and can co-exist with a micro system. It would be hara kiri to desert any market.And I am still in the market for a full featured full size system.The cult of the OM is respected. But not revered. And the pie is large enough for a lot of newbie entrants to get a slice. It is not zero sum at all. I am not buying up film cameras because film's days are numbered. It is a digital convergence and displays will be on large LCDs where HD backlit will shine. And silver will be for jewelry and solder...</p>

<p>This is not a direct answer to your questions, but explains why I use Olympus DSLRs, and there are three reasons.</p>

<p>1-Nostalgy. Olympus Om-1 was my first film SLR, bought when new almost 30 years ago. Why did I buy Olympus instead of Canon? Again three reasons, I wanted to be different, I thought, and still do, that Olympus makes very good equipment, and my brother had an Olympus meaning I had access to more lenses than I could otherwise afford. </p>

<p>2-Most of the time small sensor is enough. Olympus was not my first DSLR and it is not my only DSLR. I was hesitant with the 4/3 system, thinking that larger sensor would be better. Now I think that for low resolution, up to about 10Mp, 4/3 sensor is big enough. For most uses, 10Mp is more than enough. There is very little difference between 4/3 sensor and typical Canon, Nikon etc 1.5-1.6 crop sensors. I still like Olympus for its design and for its different thinking. I do have a 20+Mp full frame DSLR for the uses where I need more megapixels, big prints for sale.</p>

<p>3-Adaptability. I have some old OM lenses and some Leica R lenses. I wanted a reasonably priced body that can make use of these existing lenses. 4/3 was the best option for that and I am looking forward to the new micro 4/3 that allows leica M lenses to be mounted as well.</p>

<p>"I am not buying up film cameras because film's days are numbered."<br>

So did you stop buying CD's because obviously MP3's are the future and CD's will no longer be sold? What about DVD's? No doubt those will be trash in 30 years as well. Come to think of it, all my old music on cassettes and 8-tracks won't play anymore and all my files on floppy disks are either corrupt or not compatible with new programs. (Thanks Microsoft!) I bet USB drives are going to disappear in 10 years so I shouldn't buy those, and XD memory is disappearing and you won't even be able to find a reader in 5 years, so maybe I should just crawl in a hole a give up!</p>

<p>As much as I'd love to see Olympus make a full-frame electronic/OM mounted dSLR... they ain't gonna do it, and if they did it would probably be a massive failure. They would be arriving even later to a party that Canon and Nikon have been dominating for 15 years now. While competition is good, new markets are even better. The OM1 was successful exactly because it WASN'T like a Canon or Nikon, not because it was just another copy.</p>

<p>As far as "women's" cameras go... Olympus actually has a really good history with building cameras specifically geared for women. The original Pen cameras came in a dazzling array of colors and are very very compact, even by todays digi PNS standards, they where simpler to use for faster picture taking and where half-frame format which gave you double the photos per roll. These camera dominated the world of compact cameras for 15 years or so and made Olympus the company it is today. The ads often featured women, either taking photos of kids or using the camera as a fashion accessory. In the late 70's early 80's the XA series came out. These cameras introduced the world to the sliding shell design that eliminated the need for a camera case and lens caps. The camera is sexy and easy to use, smaller than the Pen cameras and produces great results. Again, the advertisements were smart and sexy, featuring active women or shirtless men following after active women. Then came the Stylus series, a camera so successful you can STILL buy a version of it today for $80, some 20 years after it's introduction, and after most companies have completely abandoned film cameras. Throughout the 80's and 90's the Stylus was like THE camera for moms to take photos of their kids. It offered advanced features and a sharp lens in a well designed slick package and simple controls. These days, Olympus is still marketing and successfully selling to women with the line of underwater digital compacts that come in bright colors but offer REAL underwater capabilities and shock proofing. On of the defining things about Olympus as a company for me is specifically their ability to offer professional quality results, durability and controls on cameras designed specifically for a segment of the market that most companies just offer crap to. Alot of "professional" users make a big stink about how durable their cameras are while stuffing them into climate-controlled, waterproof, dust proof, shock proof, memory foam padded magnesium-allow cases... meanwhile moms and girls stuff their little cameras into pockets and purses, drop them, let babies chew on them, and just in general abuse the crap out of them. So at the end of the day, a camera that can survive through all of that and still take stunning photographs must be well made and well thought out.</p>

<p>Well argued Patrick! I have some still fresh film in the frig and lots of outdated but likely OK rolls. And you have made as good an argument as I have run across for me to get out my T90 and Bronica and exercise them. I'll even use my trusty old Gossen Luna Pro with my Realist...Let us all agree as fellow travelers to same destination. Mutual co-existence. Or, to be more timely a Two State solution,digital and analog. (Analog clocks are my preference especially with chimes) Film has its place. even as its sourcing and processing is tough here in HI.. E-6 film goes to Atlanta from Ritz, a fact.<br>

My compliments to adherents to what I grew up on for years and what most of my past images of record were made. That tags me as noncombatant on dig vs film ....Shalom,,....gerry</p>

<p>I also use only E6 film.<br>

I bought an OM2n from new plus various Tamron SP Adaptall-2 lenses, many second hand, from 17mm to 300mm f2.8, with arious (mostly 2/1or 3/1 zooms) in between. The only Olympus lenses I own are 20 & 38mm bellows (used with the telescopic extension tube), 35mm shift and 50mm macro. I now use OM4 bodies.<br>

Most of my flash units are in the T series, from the T45 down to ring flash.<br>

For Olympus to sell me a camera they would have to make the OM5 which was designed but never made. (Attractions would include fill-in flash function)<br>

I photograph almost any subject other than people, from high magnification macro, to close-ups (I grow cacti and other succulents and orchids, etc.) to travel and landscapes. For panoramic format I use a Hasselblad X-Pan or a Horizon 202.<br>

I am in my sixties and was an ecotoxicologist, now a part-time stock photographer.<br>

I play Rock 'n' Roll electric lead guitar. Does that information help you?</p>

<p>I am predomiantly a Nikon camera user but I am attracted to Olympus 4/3rds system because of the lens to film plane distance of 38.67mm. At that distance, it may even be possible to use Konica bayonet lenses. Olympus I think, understands how attached some photographers are to their lenses, but has also provided a wonderful opportunity for experimentation accross a broad range of lens manufacturers (as long as an adapter exists). Thanks for reaching out...</p>

<p>thanks for all the suggestion GS - i posted a response or thought i did it seems to not have appeared. Anyhow a mood board is a collection of images and text - in my case relating to target market. I used images for where they would shop, what hobbies/interest they would have, what they would buy and wear. This helps build a profile of your consumers. I have presented my work and i am waiting for feedback on that particular task. Something that was made aware to me via another post was sometimes with a camera you juts get the right feel/vibe i was wondering is this the same for all camera users in general. What prompts you to even look at a particular camera and then decide to buy it ..... do advertising campaigns influence your decisions ????</p>

<p>Carey: When i was playing with manuals on my dslr i found adaptors for lens mount systems id never even heard of. Check ebay the chinese adapters are decent adapters (just dont let the screws get away from you!). There was even a guy who found a very convoluted solution for using a canon mount that is theoretically impossible to use (and i lost the link right beffore i ran on a really cool old canon lens argh).<br>

MAX you use oly for weddings? Im curious how that works out for you. Extensive flash system? Lots of remote slaves and pole flashes? Or more the top end body mount flash on a flash bar? It had never occurred to me anyone would use an oly for weddings..</p>

<blockquote><em>What prompts you to even look at a particular camera and then decide to buy it ..... do advertising campaigns influence your decisions ????</em></blockquote>

<blockquote>

<blockquote><strong>No.</strong> If Olympus is into cost cutting, they should get rid of its marketing division and its advertisement spending and not worry about the web reviewers.<br /></blockquote>

<blockquote><br /></blockquote>

<blockquote>Design something useful, let the market (buyers) decide. The notion that some review posted on the web helps or breaks the sale is false.</blockquote>

<blockquote><br /></blockquote>

<blockquote>Despite the initial lukewarm to skeptical "reviews" by the clueless, the Panasonic G1 is "hot".<br /></blockquote>

</blockquote>