What would die-hard street shooters say?

ruslan

Hello there!

1). I know, Leica and small cameras (Sony) and 35 mm primes (50 mm primes) or Fujifilm equivalents are good choice for street photography. But, having spent 2 hours on the street I am thinking: what about 70-200/2.8 mm attached to a massive pro DSLR body? We, in my area, have wide streets, all is moving rapidly... so is 70-200 true street lens? I do know I would take great shots with 70-200 but how does it correspond to the ideology of real street cameras and lenses?

2). What about 2 cameras: small with a prime and a big one (+ assistant who carries the other combo)?

Your ideas?

Maybe 70-200 is stupid idea, I am just asking...

I've used 2 lenses (Canon EF 24-105 f/4L and Canon 50mm f1.4) with one of my two DSLRs, and I’ve also used my iPhone. That's been fine for me. I don't consider myself a die-hard street shooter, though I love shooting on the street.

This was taken with my Canon 30D and the 50mm lens ...

ft-mason-photog-model-4920-FINAL-w.thumb.jpg.4e4f47b4c8a5ef2eba82081ceedc439b.jpg

This was taken with my Canon 5D MkII and the 24-105 lens ...

embarcadero-skateboarder-crowd_1224-SPOTS-w.thumb.jpg.cb49b579ef9c2b0d9644415b95f5e2b0.jpg

This was taken with my iPhone 6 ...

bus-stop-poster-worked-LIGHTER_2876-P2019-w.thumb.jpg.4b05c3bdf77bb068cd9bf09001b44846.jpg

• Like 3

"You talkin' to me?"

bowring +1

Just as a "portrait lens" is any lens used to take a portrait, so a street shooting lens is ......

Besides, people need to remember, more often than they do, that this forum is Street and Documentary.

Edited by JDMvW
  • Like 1

OP, as was said. Whatever works for you. You got the wrong attitude. You don't need our permission to do a thing.

I just shot a 65min project with a little tele zoom. I bot the lens to shoot a lady that built her house every night out of carboard and foam insulation in Manhattan right off of 5th Ave. I could not stand there and shoot her build it with a superwide, which is my preferred lens. I was planning to shoot her across the street. But by the time I saved up the $$ to buy the lens she died before I could shoot her.

Selections from 'Living in a Cardboard Box'

Here was the tele shoot...with stats from the shoot.

Drool At The Pool Wheeling, WV 9.2.19 D. D. Teoli Jr. : D. D. Teoli Jr. : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive

Personally I seldom use a tele, always in your face superwide. Just like working up close for the perspective.

staten-island-ferry-2016-daniel-d-teoli-jr-mm.jpg.6c5cf981c080550785d7ae41fa71eefc.jpg

Staten Island Ferry - Candid

If you don't have the up close skill, then go tele...whatever...just push the button!

Edited by invisibleflash
  • Like 2

Whatever lens works for you.

Speaking for myself, I like wide lenses and shooting close, for two reasons. I enjoy being around people and in the surrounding contextual energy/rhythm of the street. And, shooting from afar produces subject-background compression that often creates less interesting flatter photos.

http://citysnaps.net/2014%20Photos/PowellMarket.jpg

San Francisco • ©Brad Evans 2019

Edited by Brad_
  • Like 5
www.citysnaps.net

For s long time I used a film Leica with 35mm and 50mm lenses.

I moved into digital slowly with Canon crop cameras eventually settling on the very fine Canon 17-55mm 2.8..

Lately I've been using a small Mirrorless Sony a6000 with at first a 35mm 1.8 and later a Sony/Zeiss 16-70mm 4.0.

Recently I asked a golf pro what wedge was best for me and he said 'It's the indian not the arrow'.

CityWrkrRedVstFxRs_edited-3.thumb.jpg.718bb0124f391eae69107eef54d41c2b.jpg

0744crRs.thumb.jpg.f26e0aebda7d4eb61dc1f4ed892c01fe.jpg

DSC01473Rs.jpg.3a12973f7a007931f7a10c01f0b71115.jpg

• Like 1