What wireless trigger to use with AB1600?

james_trory

<p>Hello,<br>

I just recently bought 4 Alienbees 1600 studio strobes but am not at all familiar with the brand and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to what the best wireless trigger would be for shooting with a Canon 5D? Pocket Wizard as a brand is an obvious choice and I use those frequently as an assistant but are they suitable for AB monolight strobes? And what's a more affordable alternative to PW? I just sunk a small fortune into the lights, stands, diffusers etc so if possible I'd prefer not to spend $300+ on triggers. Thanks for any help.</p>

<p>Go right back to AlienBees.com, and buy the triggers they sell there. You have to decide if you want to be able to remotely control the power levels, rather than just trigger the strobes. If you do (and it's a very liberating thing, to not have to walk over to the strobe to adjust power!), then you will want to use the CSR+ or CSRB+ triggers (depending on whether you want battery powered, or in-line AC powered ... which makes sense, since you'll always need AC going to the strobes anyway), and at least the CST trigger. The CyberCommander unit can come later when you want to start doin the remote power levels.</p>

<p>Paul Buff's CyberSync triggers would work just fine, either the simple CSR series for just tirggering or the CyberCommander for controlling. But do you already own PocketWizards, since you say you use them when assisting? If you do, and you only need to trigger not control, PW works with everything so no need to buy anything else. Since you are working as an assistant, there is one very important argument in favor of PW -- they are the industry standard, and the chances are that the majority of photographers you might assist will be using them. If you want your gear to be compatible with what the people who hire you are using, there's only one brand.</p>

• 3 weeks later...