What will Santa bring you this year?

james phillips

So the season is upon us and perhaps more than one of us has asked

good old Saint Nick for an addition to our equipment or darkroom.

Before you actually get a chance to unwrap that special gift from

that special someone I welcome you to post your Christmas wish list

here today. Perhaps on Boxing Day you can then return and post what

you actually received. I myself have asked Santa Claus for a nice

Saunders easel. Only time will tell If I have been naughty or

not. :>))

(and please remember "Eight hours between the bottle and the

throttle" )

Best of the Season and a Very Merry Christmas to all!

I have the luxury, perhaps, of being in a family that does not celebrate Christmas. That means I can buy my own "gifts" with my year end bonus money. This year that will be a new Rotatrim print trimmer, an 80mm Componon-S and either an APO-Sironar-S 150mm lens or maybe I'll wait for the new APO-Symmar-L. These gift buying decisions are hard aren't they?

Very good sources tell me that Santa is bringing the ShenHao 4x5 Field

Camera, a Sironar-S 135mm lens, a box of Velvia and a box of TMAX100.

[i've been holding-off on Large Format for many years. Just earlier today, I

ordered the equipment from Badger Graphics].

As we don't really celebrate the materialistic side of Christmas in my family either, I bought myself and Acratech Ultimate Ballhead. In truth, though, I'm already thankful for living here, in the Pacific NW, and am gainfully employed again (after a few months lapse)

I didn't plan it this way but my entire system is getting delivered for Christmas. First box just got here. Lee WA compendium, Zeiss Loupe set, Kodak Readyload, Fuji Quickload, Toyo gg focussing loupe, Horseman 6x9 451.

Camera, lenses and two tripods to come next. It's all a bit much actually. I found a guy who seven months ago went out and bought an entire system and then switched to digital and sold me his entire kit.

Here is the kicker. All this stuff is arriving with the little plastic bags they came in ... in the orignal boxes ..... and I can see no signs of wear. None. AND he keeps throwing in extras. Got Dykinga's latest book in the mail from him yesterday. I love this guy and I don't even know him.

Well, when I put on a Santa suit today at work and handed out little gifts to other folks' kids there was nothing in the bag for me.

But sooner or later a supposedly ok 00 Compur Rapid (ancient, eh?) in which to have a mystery 65/8 that's in an equally mystery electric shutter remounted should show up. I've shot with the lens. It beats my 65/6.8 Raptar by a lot @ f/16, the Raptar's smallest usable aperture and it makes infinity on my 2x3 Speed. I've just got to make it more usable. Right now its on a temporary cardboard board and there are wires dangling from the shutter.

And sooner or later a 4"/2.0 TTH Anastigmat should arrive from Leicestershire. I plan to try to put it on a board and use it as a fast normal lens for a 2x3 Speed. Does it cover and give good image quality @ f/5.6? I dunno, we'll find out, but what's the good of having a fast shutter and not being able to use it?

Cheers,

Dan

Well as promised, I am back to tell what was under the tree. I guess Eugene was on the money with "Grey Wolf, "one who must be obeyed" says: "get your own damn Saunders easel". She went out to dinner with Santa Claus. Ho! Ho! Ho!"

Santa ran out of Saunders easels before he got out West. I did however get the much coveted permission to expand the "Darkroom". So as of yesterday afternoon I was in the shop building a plywood and fiberglass darkroom sink. This one will be big enough to hold 4 (16x20) trays and with a deep well at the drain end.

So I'm off to the store today to buy some fiberglass cloth and resin as well as a bit of gel tint. I guess I will manage for another year with the borderless easel and a considerable amount of extra space. :>))

Happy New Year to all !