What type of photography would you like to try?

I’m actually pretty happy doing what I do, which is

a) going out to explore San Francisco and surrounding areas

b) taking a few road trips a year

c) meeting new people and asking if I can photograph them

d) visiting my nephew’s farm community and doing photos with them

e) occasionally going out to shoot for a New Words theme

Wouldn’t mind getting to shoot backstage or dress rehearsal at the opera or a Broadway musical and maybe do a shoot with the Men’s Olympic diving team someday . . . :eek:

• Like 2
We didn't need dialogue. We had faces!

I now have an adapter for the 10" Dobsonian and the next time I'm at the place in Missouri I plan to put the DSLR on it under some Moonlit skies.

Just received the last of the components for developing black and white and want to shoot it on the old classic Nikon and Pentax cameras....

Number one would be to photograph the earth and the heavens from the International Space Station, but more realistically,

Astrophotography with better equipment than I have (but, no matter the level of amateur astrophotography, there is always better equipment for big $).

Landscape and wildlife photography in more exotic locations than I have been (such as Antarctica and Africa).

Aerial photography, with me directing the pilot.

Photography using a scanning electron microscope.

Underwater photography using scuba gear and good camera equipment, rather than snorkeling with my simple (and no external flash) Olympus TG4

Drone photography? maybe, maybe not

Night - in a city and also of the stars. (I have a child and so am rarely free in the evening or at night to go out and shoot).

@Brad_ Forensic?? I was a forensic chemist and can testify that forensic photography is boring and my 8-year-old could do it. Real cases are not like CSI and those shows were not always that accurate about how some types of evidence react to light.

• Like 1

Reportage: I did a a reportage assignment as part of a seminar, and liked it. I want to do more of this.

Sports: I have dabbled with this in the past, and want to do more.

Industrial: this speaks to me on many levels and want to do more.

Wilmarco Imaging

Wilmarco Imaging, on Flickr

wilmarcoimaging on Instagram

I am fond of after rain storm landscapes when the sky is still black but the sun breaks out in the foreground through a clean newly washed atmosphere.

The landscape glows against the dark background.

I want to get out more around the rolling thunder, before and after.

• Like 1

my 8-year-old could do it.

Not your 6-year-old?! :rolleyes:

Yes, and many people’s 8-year-olds, it seems, could do what Jackson Pollock did as well. The difference between most forensic photographers and most 8-year-olds and Jackson Pollock and most 8-year-olds is that while the 8-year-olds supposedly COULD do it, the forensic photographers and Jackson Pollock DID do it. Woulda, coulda, shoulda . . .

When your 8-year-old DOES it, get in touch.

• Like 1

Yes, and many people’s 8-year-olds, it seems, could do what Jackson Pollock did as well. The difference between most forensic photographers and most 8-year-olds and Jackson Pollock and most 8-year-olds is that while the 8-year-olds supposedly COULD do it, the forensic photographers and Jackson Pollock DID do it. Woulda, coulda, shoulda . . .

Did you miss where I've actually BEEN at crime scenes and know exactly what is needed? It is NOT like CSI.

MF and LF. I just need to haul the gear and get out there.

I have to do LF while I am still physically able to haul the LF gear around.

Wet darkroom. I need to finish building the darkroom.

Portraiture. I have the gear, but I need to do it. I need to learn lighting and posing. For an introvert, posing is my biggest hurdle.

LONG exposure. Similar to what the old timers did, with multi-second exposure. The primary subject would be water; waves, streams, etc.

Got my 10 stop ND filter, next is to get a 4-7 stop variable ND filter, then to get out and shoot.

I'm helping the local high school yearbook, so I got all the sport shooting that I want. And I get to go on the field and gym floor.

Some of you guys might want to give that a try. Warning, the kids today have a short attention span, so teaching them can be challenging.

But it is very rewarding.

Did you miss where I've actually BEEN at crime scenes and know exactly what is needed? It is NOT like CSI.

I didn't miss it at all. That wasn't the part I was questioning. You made a good point about the difference between real life and TV. Unfortunately, you had to spoil it with the cliché notion that even your 8-year-old could do it. I'm skeptical of the use of that kind of hyperbole, though if you were to post the forensic photo portfolio of your 8-year-old, I'd have to eat crow. :)