What type of Nikon is the best for a professional and a serious amature?

aaron_miller

Aaron, in the single lens reflex (SLR) line Nikon marketed the F, F2, F3, F4 and F5 to professional photographers. There are dozens of other models of Nikon cameras that professionals and serious amateurs have used.

The truth is, a professional or serious amateur can take good photos with just about any camera, and a lousy photographer can take truly awful photos even with a shiny new Nikon F5.

If you read through the discussions here, you'll find lots of fascinating opinions about any Nikon camera model (and of course the cameras from all the other manufacturers). Also lots of wonderful information (some of it even true) about the process and art of photography.

Have fun,

Speaking off the present line-up, anything from the price of the N80 (F80)and up is aimed at the more "serious" photographer. The top-of-the-line F5 is aimed at the dedicated pro market. There are still many discontinued "F" models that are still good cameras if you want to stick to manual focus.

And who said that a good manual camera isn't a pro camera.Look at some of the best photographers of National Geographic for example and their equipment.There's not much a "pro" automated camera can do that a manual can't,besides,where is the art,just composition and click?

it depends on if you need AF. for AF, i would say the f100 and f5.

if manuel will do, i suggest the f3, fm2/fe2/fm3a line.

the best bargain right now are the f3, n90s, and the fe2/fm2.

due to digital upgrade mostly.

i personally would purchase a combo of n90s and f3(or fm2). the n90s will have AF, spotmetering, autowinder and the f3 for manuel, 100%finder, and mirror lockup. both meter with mauel lens as well.

this combo would cost about the price of the f100 in excellent condition($800) and they both excel at what they do at the right price.

lastly, if you are good...the glass and box does not matter much really as stated by other posters.

best of luck.

There are a lot of things fast AF can do well very consistently that MF can't do very well or at least not consistently. If you are into any type of action photography such as sports, auto racing, or wildlife action, AF is extremely important. In those situations fast AF from the F5 can be a big advantage over slower AF from the F/N80, let alone MF. If you shoot very static stuffs such as buildings, landscape, products .... MF may be just fine for the most part.

In your grandfather's era, Nikon was practically the only professional SLR available. Today, the C brand is very popular while Nikon is holding its own. Things have evolved over the years.

Just to add what was said - many of todays mid-price autofocus cameras from Nikon, Canon, Minolta, Pentax, etc. that are suitable for the amateur photographer, but the old Nikons are still deserving of attention. A used F3 or FM2 is a good investment, and can be paired with, say, an N90s (F90x), another camera which is going down in price. There really isn't a single best camera, just a number of good cameras to choose from in your price range. The F5 is great, but you'd need to invest a lot of money for the body and lens.

Nikon FM3a, FM2n, FE2, FM2, FE, FM, Nikkormat FT3, these would be good starters. I just read a post on another forum where a top NY pro is still shooting FM(s), he has 12 of them.

I also like the F2As, F2 and F5. The F2(s) and F3(s) have a slower flash sync of 1/80 which may or may not make a difference to you. The FE, FM and FT3 are all 1/125. The FM2 is 1/200. The rest are 1/250. The F4 and F4s are good manual focus cameras though metering can be a little strange for macro.

Put your money in lenses. Consider a 50/1.8 AI(s), 105/2.5 AI(s) and 180/2.8ED AI(s).

If you want to mix AF and MF glass the F5 is best. I don�t know the N90s but it might be a good way to go. I don�t care for the F100�s lack of ADR (aperture direct readout) and it�s all green electronic rangefinder. The one in the F4s and F5 is red/green/red and can easily be used with peripheral vision.

Hope this helps,

<i>I don�t know the N90s but it might be a good way to go.</i><p>I own 2 N90's and love 'em to death, but be aware of the one big downside I see to N90 ownership--they don't accept Nikon's newer G-type lenses (the ones without the aperature ring). Still, there's plenty of great glass out there that will work just fine on an N90. Just make sure you make an informed decision.<p>

Kind regards,

The F5, F100, and possibly the N80 make flash photography a piece of cake. In particular, the fill-flash capability is outstanding. For news work, or other photos in which faces are important, flash is essential.

I have an F3, and it's a joy to use: solid, compact and accurate (in daylight.) With flash, though, it's a kludge by comparison. I load it with Velvia for scenery, when I'm making money with the F5 and NPH400.