eddie g

No one...(and I mean no one) not even the manufacturers know what

the white translucent material is which serves as the diffusing

front panel on a softbox. Oh, don't get me wrong there are many

good guesses. But I have spent the last one and a half hours doing

deep advanced searches on the net. This is indeed the biggest

mystery in photography. I don't think the softbox manufacturers

manufacture their own material. My guess is that they buy it from a

fabric manufacturer. Let the guessing begin!

I took a trip to my local hobby/fabric store and picked through the scraps. For about US$5, I brought home 4 different kinds of white, translucent cloth of varying thickness and sheen (and two black silks and a red velvet). I've been playing with these bits to get different looks, and when I find something I like, I will go back with the sample and ask for more of it.

Try hitting some upholstry suppliers, industrial liquidators, and even your local *-Mart, buy some odds and ends, and give it a shot. Chances are you'll end up with a small library for various situations.

I tried the fabric store route, but what I thought was white was very much a blue white. So you definitely need to experiment.

I'v had much better luck ordering rip-stop nylon in various thicknesses from kite suppliers.

That said, though, the next time I fiddle around I'll probably just buy some Rosco stuff.

Alien Bees responded to my email inquiry and said they use Nylon. Chimera responded to my email inquiry and said "Chimera Cloth, a dacron type fabric". Plume said "Nylon geige goods that are then crushed and flattened by a sail cloth die so that (wind and) light cannot come directly through the fibers".