What tripod head fits this plate?

haysm7

<p>Judging from the rather distinctive screw, and the "LENS" marking, I think it's a Manfrotto plate, and I think that it goes on a Manfrotto hex plate mount, which actually only engages three of the six sides of a plate at a time. <br>

<br />As far as I know, the Manfrotto hex system is unique in having a hole in the tripod through which a large mounting screw like this one can protrude, and also, as the extra arrow implies, it can be put on backwards. If the measurement from the center of one boss to the center of any neighbor is between 2 1/4 and 2 3/8 inches (my rough quick measurement here) dollars to donuts it's Manfrotto hex.</p>

<p>Matthew and I cross posted and it is definitely a Manfrotto/Bogen plate (I have one and use it on my wood field camera, as it appears to be here. But I only found one head (quick search) that used this style of plate. http://www.manfrotto.us/3d-super-professional-head The outside of the small plate in the picture fits like the three protrusions on this plate.</p>

<p>This may be a bit late to say, but it appears that you could get <a href="http://www.manfrotto.us/rc0-rapid-connect-adapter-with-030-14-plate">one of these</a> and attach it to your head of choice. I've never tried a Manfrotto QR plate adaptor, but the QR clamps of many heads unscrew, and can be replaced. Unfortunately, your "head of choice" doesn't seem to include a Manfrotto 405 gear head, which is something that I might have guessed would be worth a look given that I'm going to guess (by the wood) that you're looking at a QR plate on a field camera.<br />

<br />

For my education (and to be nosy), may I ask what it's attached to and what head you went with?</p>

<p>Andrew, I used that adapter for almost 20 years on my studio stand's geared head. It worked great with cameras from MF to 8x10. I never felt it compromised the security over direct mounting to the head itself.</p>

<p>I've just realised that I misunderstood the RC0 (or possibly 625, as it seems to be in the UK). I'd been thinking that it was a replacement clamp, like Kirk or RRS's range of Arca-compatible clamps (among others); I've only just realised that it attaches to the top of a different QR plate. Apologies for the confusion - I'm glad it's worked for John! I see Kirk make this adaptor but backwards (an Arca clamp built into a hex plate). Oddly, I've not found any third party hex clamps, as such; certainly they're not as universal as Arca clamps.</p>

<p>Andrew -- I went with a Bogen 3047, mainly because it's the first one I was able to find and I need to get a head ASAP. I may purchase a second once I've had time to review my options more carefully. It's for a Deardorff 5x7, by the way.</p>

<p>Thanks, Doc! Curiosity sated. The 3047 looks like quite a beast; so long as you can live with a 3D head, I'm sure you'll be happy with it. (If you have a large amount of money to throw at it, I'd consider either a ball head for speed or a geared head like the Manfrotto 405 or the Arca-Swiss d4/Cube, just because it makes it easier to fine-tune framing, but you may be perfectly happy with what this can do - I've a tendency to be dismissive of 3D heads, which is a bit unfair because I've never really played with a decent one.) Enjoy your new toy. I'm still trying to find time to get into large format myself...</p>

<p>I like the 3047 head, which is quite hefty and capable of holding a lot of weight. Like many Manfrotto heads its action is not always utterly creamy-smooth, but it gets better with use. Because it has no centering springs like later ones, you do have to be careful not to let it flop, but it clamps good and tight.</p>

<p>For those looking at used ones, there are at least three different generations of these. The first, using a thumbscrew to clamp the plate, was a bit lighter than later ones, but very well made. The second is a bit heavier, and has a single-acting spring clamp to hold the plate. The pivots use a different design that allows fine adjustment. You can adjust the residual drag on both the horizontal and vertical planes. The third resembles the second, but has a double-acting clamp for the plate, allowing you to snap in a plate without holding the latch open, and giving a safety so it won't let go by accident. </p>

<p>The 3055 ball head is nicely made, but has no residual drag adjustment, so it tends to flop with very heavy loads. </p>