What to Use to Import Image Files and Copy/Sort at Same Time

J.W. Wall

I have been using a very handy app called Image Ingester for years. It copies my photos from SD cards, changes file names, puts backup copies on two drives, and converts a copy to DNG with Adobe's app.

Image Ingester is gone with MacOS High Sierra. I really need something that will do these things automatically when I click the start button. Lightroom 6 CC doesn't handle all these functions. Any suggestions?

(Thanks for your help. I'm not a beginner but can't see where else to post)

I think I might be able to suggest a partial replacement which requires slightly more effort but it will cost you nothing. Automator can do most of what you want. I'm including a screenshot as an example. These are the steps:

- Drag and drop files from SD card to Automator window

- Copy those files to the _back-ups_all folder

- Copy those files to the _rehearsals_2017-09-15 folder on a different volume

- Replace DSC with KDG so that the files will read KDG00000.ARW

- Changed the file type of images in the rehearsals folder to TIFF

If you ran this workflow, the files in the back-ups folder would read 'DSC00000.ARW' and the files in the rehearsals folder would read 'KDG00000.tif'. I don't like three letter file names (I think they're awful) so I would add another renaming action to change 'tif' to 'tiff' or 'TIFF'.

I don't know your reasons for wanting a DNG version, but either way, Automator can't do that (AFAIK). I'm still on OS 10.9.5. Automator does, however, allow you to change types of images from RAW files, as I've demonstrated, but I don't know if it supports every single RAW format.

file_workflow.thumb.png.66927e0d65b5a7b6e7f502b358e8fa3b.png