What to rent, just for fun. Christmas time with the family.

evilsivan

<p>So I went on a weekend camping trip and rented a D500 and some lenses to try, stuff that I probably won't buy any time soon, but I screwed up and reserved the wrong dates. I was able to cancel with no money lost but I lost the opportunity.<br>

Soooo... I have family coming for Christmas time and I thought maybe I'd treat myself to some rentals, but nothing is really standing out as something I need to take pics of kids opening gifts etc.<br>

I have a D750, 24-70 2.8, 70-200 f4 and a 35mm f1.8. I love low light shooting, but I don't know if any other bodies would beat the D750 in low light, except maybe the D5, please correct me if I'm wrong. So I could rent a D5 but its pricey and sportsy for a bunch of kids opening presents. Any other bodies that might be fun to play with? <br>

I also thought i might be nice to rent some 1.4's, maybe a 24mm,or 35mm or 80mm or maybe some wide zooms like the 14-24. I might rent the 28-300 as I am curious about it as I get older and lazier I am more interested in compromises. What would you rent?</p>

Hmmm! A special occasion, excited kids, and

shooting with an unfamiliar camera body. Sounds

like a surefire recipe for a lot of missed shots to

me.

Likewise shooting at f/1.4 just for the sake of it. Ok if you want tips of noses sharp and eyes OOF.

Plus one to Kent's suggestion. Why shoot in low light when a simple brolly and speedlight can emulate a lovely soft window light?

<p>Thanks for the idea guys. I don't have much experience using lighting so the lights is a nice idea, but Grandma might kill me if the flash is popping off all morning. Still, interesting idea. I don't use lighting or familiar with it, but this could be a nice opportunity. <br>

Good point about the 1.4s Joe. <br>

Maybe this isn't the best time to rent gear but my NAS is itching so you know...<br>

Still open to more suggestions!</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I have a D750, 24-70 2.8, 70-200 f4 and a 35mm f1.8.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>That is a nice set of equipment for general photography. If you want to do some wide landscape, a 20mm lens maybe helpful. If you shoot sports or wildlife, you might want to try the 200-500. This is probably not the answer you are looking for, but when you need to ask, it sure sounds like you really don't need to rent anything at this point.</p>

<blockquote>

<p> I don't use lighting or familiar with it, but this could be a nice opportunity. <br>

</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Over the past 25 years my strategy has been to try to constantly learn new skills. As I become competent with one, I add it to my repertoire and move on to the next challenge. For the coming year I'm wanting to learn how to shoot wet plates, ala 1860. The more I learn, the more versatile I become.<br>

<br>

Kent in SD</p>

• Like 1

<p>I have both D750 and DF -- both good in low light, IMO the DF a bit better, at least I slightly prefer the images. In terms of lenses, I think you have things covered pretty well. You might enjoy a wide zoom as you suggested. I have the 18-35 which I like quite a bit, I will go a bit wider when funds allow, possibly not all the way to 14-24 as I find the high end a bit wide for many shots. You might be disappointed with the 28-300 (have one) based on the lenses you already have, though it isn't bad, it isn't a lens I'd pick for Christmas photos. Fun problem, enjoy!</p>

<p>Like Gordon Converse, I am not a big fan of non-natural lighting, although I grant that people who really know what they're doing can make great pictures with flash, etc. <br>

I'm another who is not sure that the unacknowledged stress of a holiday family gathering is the place to acquire those skills.</p>

<p>Why not set aside some personal, but other, time to rent and practice?</p>

<p>Thanks. Great points:<br>

I guess I don't really need more gear, but that's a nice thing about renting - I don't have to buy it and after all, I do love gear.<br>

Lighting would be a good technique for me to get a better grasp on. Certainly a challenge.<br>

Would be nice to try some wide zooms and a super zoom.<br>

Set aside personal time. It isn't my job to document every family gathering and it is important to take photos 'for myself'. </p>

I second the lighting suggestion, but if it's for fun rather

than considering buying... The portrait semi-exotics

would be on my list (200mm f/2 if your house is big

enough, 105mm f/1.4 or the new Sigma 85mm f/1.4, or

maybe just the Sigma 50mm if you want less

portraiture). Or you could go for weird with a tilt/shift, a

fish eye, a petzval or a lensbaby. Have fun, in any case!