What to rent for Winter Olympics

tom_nardi

<p>Hello everyone,<br>

<br /> I'm debating about heading up to Vancouver for the Olympics. I found accommodations and I figured I would just purchase tickets to various events when I get there. I am open to seeing pretty much anything. I understand that on a somewhat limited budget I'm not going to see the medal rounds for the most popular events.</p>

<p>Assuming that I will have bad seats for the popular events and decent seats for unpopular events I'm trying to decide what equipment I should rent. From searching the Olympics' site I haven't found any restrictions on equipment. The only restriction I've found is that it has to be for personal use. I just don't want to have any problems where they assume my equipment is for commercial use. I'll have a monopod and tripod, but I'm going to assume I will not be allowed to use the tripod indoors.</p>

<p>I currently shoot with a Rebel XTi and 17-55 2.8. I have a slow 28-200 which I do not want to use. I am considering the following:</p>

<p>An extra body such as a 50D or 7D. I love my camera but I want something that can shoot more fps and something that can handle higher ISO. Even shooting wide open, using semi--fast shutter speed (1/250) leads to having to use ISO 800-1600 which is too noisy.</p>

<p>Lenses:<br>

100-400 - I love the range, but I think it will be too slow. Although with a better camera this might work.</p>

<p>70-200 2.8 - I think this one of my better options, especially if I also bring the 1.4 converter.</p>

<p>300 2.8 - Probably my best option, especially considering I'll probably be far away. Unfortunately this is also the most expensive option.</p>

<p>135 2.0 - I think the limited focal length outweighs the extra stop, although I have heard this is a great lens.</p>

<p>Any thoughts?</p>

<p>I'm also considering driving through Yellowstone on my way to Vancouver. Ideally if I am renting all this equipment I want to get as much use out of it as possible. So please consider that I will probably explore Yellowstone and / or the pacific NW when making suggestions. <br /> <br /> Thanks for all the suggestions,<br /> <br /> Tom<br /> <br /></p>

<p>Just returned from Vancouver last Friday. If you are on a tight budget and want to purchase tickets when you get there, you may be surprised at the prices. They are ridiculous! As for gear, good choices. I'd stick with the 70 - 200 2.8 and try to pick up a 24 - 70 2.8 if Canon makes one. A fast body with high ISO and at least 5 fps would be good, as you suggested. Obviously the slower lenses will work better outdoors on sunny days.<br>

Good luck, its going to be a great event.<br>

Cheers, Dave.</p>

<p>You can't drive thru Yellowstone in the winter, except in a snowcoach.<br>

Make real sure the accomodations you found are real, not a scam like a lot of the ones on the net. Check the official olympics site for ticket prices, they are the ONLY place to buy or resell tickets. Here is a link to the prices, everything else is on this web site as well.</p>

<p>http://www.vancouver2010.com/olympic-tickets/olympic/ticket-prices/</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Tom,</p>

<p>Based on nothing else but the reputation of the IOC, I would expect anybody showing up to a

venue with a Big White Lens without an accompanying press pass to be refused entry.</p>

<p>You’ll then make the trek back to your car with your very visible Big White Lens, return

without it…and get back to your car after the event only to discover that an opportunistic observer saw you do

the whole thing and stole your gear.</p>

<p>Cheers,</p>

<p>b&</p>

<p>I'd think about getting the Canon 70-300/4-5.6 IS. It's black. It's not going to draw attention to itself.</p>

<p>I would be extremely surprised if you were allowed to take a regular seat with the 300/2.8. It's simply too big. You'd be interfering with the people around you.</p>

<p>I think both the 100-400, and any of the 70-200 zooms will also draw unwanted attention to yourself.</p>

<p>I would also assume you won't be able to bring your monopod inside, either. I'd be surprised if you were allowed to have it even outside.</p>

<p>Eric</p>

<p>You could rent when you get to town. The two places I would recommend are Beau Photo and Leos Camera supply. It's going to be expensive to rent stuff for an extended trip. For 1 day a 70-200 2.8 IS is 35 bucks at Beau Photo. If you plan to go to Whistler, remember you can't drive up there and I have heard it's 30 bucks each way on the bus. Have fun. JJ</p>

<p>Thanks for all the suggestions.<br /> <br /> I wish their website was clearer with regards to what equipment is allowed. The most detailed information I can find is: "Photography for personal use is permitted, but flash photography is not permitted at Canada Hockey Place, Pacific Coliseum, Richmond Olympic Oval, UBC Thunderbird Arena and The Whistler Sliding Centre."<br /> <br /> Their site also indicates that bags are allowed, "but they must fit under your seat." Without knowing exact dimensions I'm going to take my smaller bag, which doesn't hold much.<br /> <br /> <br /> I agree a 300 2.8 or even a 70-200 2.8 looks professional. I was planning to buy the 70-200 f4 later this year. Maybe I should just purchase it now. It might be better to give up 1-stop and have a smaller, more concealable lens. <br /> <br /> I also like the idea of possible renting the equipment up there. That would save me money, especially if I couldn't get into a venue with a lens I would only be out the cost of a 1-day rental vs. having unusable equipment for two week.<br /> <br /> Thanks again,<br>

<br /> Tom<br /></p>

<p>Sigma 70-200 f 2.8 is only slightly smaller than then Canon 70-200 f2.8 if at all. The ticket takers will most likely be looking at size of lens rather than color... I've almost been refused entry at one venue (Target Center) for the sheer size of my 70-200. If it had been an NBA event - I would have been refused entry. Black is nice at that point since it can be hidden much easier or mistaken as something that no one would break into a car for.</p>

<p>Dave</p>