What to do with a bricked Canon New F-1

Discussion in 'Canon FD' started by brian_louie|1, Aug 6, 2009.

1. So I recently got some bad news about my Canon F-1 that was having a battery drain problem. The repair would involve replacing the circuit board, which would basically mean buying another camera, making it not a viable option. So, this means I have a non-working Canon F-1. I'm wondering what I should do with it. I guess I could use the ae viewfinder a focus screen if I ever come across another F-1 but I'm wondering if anyone has any other suggestions of what to do. Keep it for decoration?

2. Other than looking on Ebay under the parts/repair section, I don't really know what to tell you except that I am sorry for your loss. I would definitely hold onto it though, you never know what might turn up.

3. Too easy. Your F-1N will work as an excellent manual camera on all the fast speeds, 1/90 (the flash sync speed) through 1/125 to 1/2000. But you have to physically remove the battery from the chamber, and the meter doesn't work.
    You now have the perfect sunny-16 camera. Load up with Ilford XP2 (or some other forgiving film) and estimate the exposure, or use a separate meter. If your camera gets lost, stolen, bashed, or rained on, it doesn't owe you anything.

4. well, for a start, sell the AE finder to me :)

5. This is just my opinion (and half the time I'm wrong), so take it for what it's worth. If the camera is in good cosmetic condition I would part it out on the big auction site. You can sell the back door, bottom plate, motor drive screw-in plugs, finder, focusing screen, etc. You may be surprised at what you can get for the parts. Then use the proceeds to purchase a replacement camera. Other than that, it will make a nice paperweight or door stop.

6. I agree, selling the parts will net you the most, don't sell the whole for parts, somebody else will buy it and resell the parts himself...
    (But still I need that AE finder) :)

7. awahlster

awahlster Moderator

OK guys do your begging to buy and selling in private emails Please.......

8. Well it seems to me that Dave has the obvious answer. Having not owned a New F1 I didn't know if that were possible or not but about half my cameras don't have meters anyway. And like I said, keep an eye out on the auctions sites and you may just find the part you need eventually.

9. Parting the camera out on eBay is fine and gets you something, but involves a lot of time and may not be worth it for the time spent. Are you getting another F-1? If so keep this one yourself for future parts. That is unless the same exact part fails. I have parts cameras for two of my main bodies and they have come in handy. Naturally, the prism you would want to carry over.

10. Brian, my heart goes out to you. But Dave and Louis together are right. Your F-1N still works at 1/90 and higher, and you can estimate the exposure or use an external meter.
    And, best of all, you'll have a "spare parts" body when (not if) you pick up another F-1N.

11. And, best of all, you'll have a "spare parts" body when (not if) you pick up another F-1N.​
    Right Mark, cause we all know it is an addiction, and so far I haven't found a cure. Except that instead of getting further and further into FD I have expanded into medium and large format.