What to do when the battery is stuck?

markus_mbitions

<p>Hi EOS peoole, <br>

I made a good find on a film EOS on Ebay - described in working condition and from what I can tell sofar it's true. <br>

Yet, I have an issue with the battery 2CR5 - the seller included it in the auction and when it arrived in the mail today, included in the camera. <br>

The cover for the battery opens without a problem, but the battery won't pop out, moves a tiny little bit when I did slightly shake the camera but still isn't anywhere in a position that I could use fingers, pliers or anything else to grab and pulle it out. <br>

Any ideas how to get this battery out of the camera? I found one google hint talking about a butter knife...was able to insert it in the little gab on the flat side of the battery but still won't move it. <br>

Eventually the battery will be discharged and needs to be replaced but I don't want to reach this point and be all frustrated when that moment comes and the battery won't budge. </p>

<p>Any thoughts?</p>

<p>I've used a metal spudger to achieve this successfully. Though how easy it is will depend on the brand. the 2CR5 batteries are composed of 2 cells in a plastic frame, and if the cells are exposed within the frame, using the spudger is quite easy (it is thin metal, slightly curved and rounded to allow you to 'hook' the gap and pull).<br>

If the battery is 'wrapped', the wrapping may prevent you from 'hooking' anything (no accessible gap between cell and frame), but since the frame is plastic, it is fairly easy to take a small sharp plastic screw, drive it ~1/8" into the plastic frame (usually in the center), then use a pair of pliers (usually even needle nose are not required) to pull on the exposed end of the screw. (due to placement of screw, and orientation of cells, 'shorting' the batteries is not really a concern)<br>

In both cases, usually the amount of force needed to extract the battery is not excessive, but in some cases the cells swell to such a degree that they press against the side of the battery cavity, making removal significantly more difficult. Luckily, you have detected movement of the battery, thus this is very unlikely. </p>

<p>If you can feel movement, it is likely the battery has leaked and/or the is corrosion to the bottom contact. Marcus' suggestion is excellent. An alternative if all else fails: Spray some wd40 into a small container (don't spray directly into the camera.) Pour the liquid slowly over the battery so it runs down the sides, let soak for a little bit, and work the battery back and forth and rotationally as much as possible. with any luck, this will weaken the bond at the bottom and the battery will come free.<br>

Clean up well after the battery is removed, and if the lower contact is corroded, clean it as well.</p>

<p>I'd be leery of introducing any WD-40 into the camera. It's volatile and spreads easily. It could create a bit of a mess that you'd be unable to clean up without disassembling the camera.</p>

<p>Before putting any screw into the battery, I'd want to be certain I understood the placement of the cells and internal wiring. You really don't want to hit any of that stuff with a screw or drill bit.</p>

<p>Personally, I'd try the adhesive tape. If that didn't work, I'd try a stronger adhesive. You could use some of that foam, double-sided tape stuff to give the battery a pretty hard tug. Clean the exposed face of the battery with alcohol and let dry. Find some other smooth, rigid object about the same size, and do the same with it. Then apply the tape, making certain you seat it well. Pull straight out.</p>

<p>Stronger? Use contact cement on both surfaces. Let dry completely before sticking battery to your pulling tool.</p>

<p>Even stronger? Maybe roughen both surfaces and use an epoxy formulated for plastics.</p>

<p>Stronger still? I think you'd probably break the camera. Probably best to disassemble it.</p>

<p>My guess is corrosion to the contact.<br /> According to this: http://www.electrochemsolutions.com/pdf/Safety_and_Handling_Guide.pdf<br /> you neutralize leakage from a primary lithium cell with baking soda (a base). That should dissolve the bond between the battery and the contact.<br>

You may end up either destroying the contact, pulling it out of whatever holds it, or worse. It would be good to know what's under the battery before using force to remove it. This may be a tricky enough job for a service facility.</p>

<p>I see this as bad news all the way around. It could be that the contacts in the battery compartment somehow got wedged inside the battery. If you yank on the battery the contacts might go with it. Maybe you can take it to a camera repair shop or send it back to the seller.</p>

<p>you moved out of the way the tab that holds the battery, right? (seen it happen)<br>

the screw idea is excellent, glue is also good, you can see how the cells are positioned due to the shape of the battery so dont worry... If nothing works its still possible to open up the back of the battery tuna can style and that should give you enough space to grab the cells with a needle nosed pliers. once the cells are out its easy to free the plastic shell whole or in pieces.<br>

if the backup battery is in the same compartment (its a button battery with a plastic holder that slides out) then you might be able to pull that out first (search google for pics) and that gives more room to grab the battery.<br>

Id drill the battery out rather than pouring liquids of any sort around the battery... they would go everywhere in the camera</p>

<p>oh my .... well, it sure was educational entertainment to read all those approaches.....<br>

I actually wanted to keep you updated yesterday already but work came in the way.<br>

Anyhow. Like after some labor the little one was finally out - I did still try to get it out with that butter/cheese knife approach and eventually I did actually catch some of the wrapping thats around the battery and so, little by little got it out with a messed up wrap - who knew that Interstate batteries makes more then car batteries to my suprise. <br>

Phew... no corrsion in the camera, so I took the rest of the wrapping off and just used clear scotch tape to keep it together. Sure enough the battery got stuck in the camera again (I tried other camera with same battery need and yup, was stuck in it too) - so that proofed to me that what I also read somewhere - that non OEM or brand batteries sometimes are a tiny bit, literally a millimeter thicker or so and that makes tight fits. so again, the whole butterknife approach and again, after little while it was out. <br>

Ending this story oddly enough - I did the recommendation fo putting tape on the bottom in order to pull it out in future - despite having the same thickness but using that tape strip/handle - it comes out like butter</p>

<p>Thank you for all contributors</p>

<p>Yay! A good resolution! <br /> <br />Enjoy your 'new" camera!<br /> (and maybe use a different brand of battery?)<br>

I have had success with Duracell, both with the quality of their product and two items replaced when the Duracell batteries leaked in them. Their no-leak guarantee worked for me...twice.</p>

<p>Don't leave Duracells unattended very long. I've had so many leak in Speedlites, cameras, guitars, audio recorders, flashlights, etc., I lost count. At this very moment three Duracells are stuck in my Apple wireless keyboard after only a few months of use. I switched to Eneloops a year ago and so far no leaks and they last longer than Duracell. </p>

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter