What to Charge?

A real estate firm wants to use one of my images on their web page. I used the Getty Images calculator and it came out to $1,400 a year $840 for one month. Seems a little high. I am wondering if anyone has done something similer and what they charged?

Thanks for any help,

Derek

derek-thornton.artistwebsites.com

The dilemma is your question has too many unknowns so yes the price from Getty is very realistic. Anyone who answers is just giving you a guess probably more to stoke their ego than give your question an honest answer. If it’s a dominant picture on toll brothers, century 21 or Remax website then no why would those numbers be high. In fact any image presented on a company’s website to illustrate those brands should get that - the difference would be if it’s an image for a specific listing and has a short licensing time period to coincide with the sale of that specific property.

--------------

My Architectual Photography:

Architectural-Cinematographer.com

If the intended use matches what you plugged into Getty, then it's the right price to charge. Will they pay that? That's the real question. If they want the rights to use that image without photo credit or further compensation, that price is right. If it's for editorial use and they will give you full photo credit, is it beneficial to you to do so for less money? If you think it will actually generate additional work (it rarely does) then it's worth it to take less. Otherwise, make them pay the full price. They sell houses. They can afford pictures.
  • Like 1

If the intended use matches what you plugged into Getty, then it's the right price to charge. Will they pay that? That's the real question. If they want the rights to use that image without photo credit or further compensation, that price is right. If it's for editorial use and they will give you full photo credit, is it beneficial to you to do so for less money? If you think it will actually generate additional work (it rarely does) then it's worth it to take less. Otherwise, make them pay the full price. They sell houses. They can afford pictures.

I think I mostly agree with this, but in a free market system, where there might be others

willing to sell for a lower price, that are "good enough", then it might be too much.

-- glen

• 2 weeks later...
I'm ignorant about the value of these things. But why not use Getty's pricing? Call the manager who's putting together the brochure and ask him what his budget is for picture so you can adjust the terms of its use to match it. Or you could just be fair and say you will charge him Getty's going rate as they have fair pricing. That way both parties get a fair shake. Then see what he or she says.

• 2 months later...
A real estate firm wants to use one of my images on their web page. I used the Getty Images calculator and it came out to $1,400 a year $840 for one month. Seems a little high. I am wondering if anyone has done something similer and what they charged?

Thanks for any help,

Derek

Been there, I hate to calculate photo prices, it's been years and still hate it and consider myself terrible at it. My comment/advice might not be what you expect but it is realistic.

Where you live (country) and the company buying the picture mean a lot, also the culture around photo rights. Calculating a price based on Getty sounds easy but some people can tell you "you are not Getty" so there goes a possible failed sales pitch. Some companies are only interested on paying ONCE for a picture, make it exclusive for them and forget about you and your credits, I consider this the best case scenario because it's simple and easy business. Having a company paying you royalties for months/years, every year? that's possible but honestly in my opinion: VERY RARE today, many great pictures are available online and since several years ago some people are willing to give pics for free as long as companies provide a credit and a written contract if that's the case, it's portfolio and it's cheap.

I wouldn't laugh or criticize the original idea: If you can get away with that expensive plan you mention then good for you but it is unlikely unless they know and respect your work and do want to work with you. Other than that think of an attractive sum for you, specially one time payment, just like most products you have to think about how the company would prefer to engage in business with you.

My 10 cents.