what to buy - Nikon D3000 or D90 or D5000 or Canon 450 or 500?

zhanaraspan

<p>Please advise what camera to buy:<br>

Nikon -D3000 or D90 or D5000 or Canon 450 or 500? I have limited time to order via internet and need to buy it asap (before i go to Italy), therefore selecting amongst cameras available at local store.</p>

<p>Many thanks in advance.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Please advise what camera to buy:<br />Nikon -D3000 or D90 or...</p>

</blockquote>

<p>...or Pentax K2000 or or Pentax K-x or Sony A380 or Sony A390 or Olympus E-30 or Olympus E-600...? Should I buy new? Should I buy used/refurbished? Should I buy body and build kit? Should I buy kit?</p>

<p>Might as well ask "Should I marry a chubby girl or a skinny girl? Would I be better off with a guy?"</p>

<p>Welcome to Photo.Net, Zhanar. The point here is that no one can tell you what would be best for you, especially given that you have provided no information on your needs or personal preferences or experience or budget. It could be that you would be much better off - given a short time to learn anything about your new camera - with a quality point-n-shoot. If anyone is to give you advice that has any value whatsoever, more information is required. </p>

<p>All that aside, any of the cameras you have mentioned, or a multitude of additional choices have tha capability to give you satisfactory (+) results if you know how to use them.</p>

<p>Thank you for your response, Jim. <br>

I've already narrowed down list of producers to canon and nikon only (no pentax, sony, etc.) I understand that it's a personal choice but anyway need a piece of advice from people that already have practical experience with any of the cameras listed in the subject... For instance, I was advised by a friend to buy D3000 and when I asked why I was told that for a learner the cheaper one would be best choice... I don't agree with it, that's why decided to ask from people who are more interested in photography, therefore I'm here. Frankly speaking, I've been visiting this site for 2 or 3 years. However, I reviewed the photos only. Since my passion of reviewing beautiful pictures turned to a passion of taking them I decided to buy one of above mentioned cameras. I was going to do it not in a rush but rather review everything and then finally make choice. However, due to my visit to Italy I decided to fasten camera selection process...<br>

I like taking landscape pictures and portrait pictures as well. I already know that I want to have 18-105 or 18-135 lens (not 18-55). I like taking macro pictures and with many objects in the shot but with focus on only one object. Sorry, i'm new to protography therefore using standard not special termins... Budget is up to $1,200.</p>

<p>Within Nikon, the D90 (or its successor, which some people expect to see soon) has significant advantages over the other two bodies you are considering. It can control flash remotely, in a very sophisticated way, with its on-board flash. Probably more important, it can autofocus with any Nikon mount autofocus lens, not only those that have internal motors. That increases the number of lenses you have to choose from. This can often save a significant amount of money, much more than you would save by buying a cheaper D3000 or D5000. The controls on the D90 are also more complete.</p>

<p>As to the other cameras you are considering? You have to decide yourself, but consider: 1) How the cameras feel in your hands, how you like the controls, is tremendously important. 2) Remember that you are buying into a camera system, you need to make sure that the body you decide to purchase can access the types of lenses you will want. In fact, either of the two systems you are considering will be excellent.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>You need to decide between Nikon versus Canon. There are pros and cons to each and it is like a religion. Many people have a strong brand alliance so you need to decide on your own.</p>

<p>I shot Nikon so if you select Nikon, since your budget is $1,200, go with the D90 with the 18-105 kit lens. Get an extra battery and 3-4 memory cards, a bag, and cleaning supplies and you should be all set. If you anything extra, buy a monopod or a tripod. Spend as much time as possible before leaving to learn the intricacies of the camera.</p>

<p>The D90 is something that you can grow into. I have it and it is an amazing camera (I've taken over 40k pictures in the past 9 months).</p>

<p>Have fun traveling!</p>

<p>Thank you ALL for your responses!<br>

Barry, I was told by one professional protographer the same thing you wrote that it's like a religion choosing between camera producers. There's no best and worst, you should decide yourself what best fits your needs. Amazing how people from different parts of the world use the common examples to expalin their thoughts:)<br>

I've narrowed down the list to the following 2:<br>

1. CANON EOS 550D KIT (18-135 IS)<br>

2. NIKON D90 KIT (18-105 VR)<br>

I've alredy reviewed characteristics of both in the Internet and now I have a problem again. D90 is considered professional in Nikon's table of cameras while Canon categorizes 550d as for amateurs. On the other hand, technical characteristics of Canon 550d are more sophisticated...</p>

<h5>I made my choice today... NIKON D90 KIT (18-105 VR)!</h5>

<h5>I took pictures with both Nikon D90 and Canon 550 and in 1 minute or less made my choice. Thank you all for your responses! Hopefully, I'll contribute my next responses in other forums sections.</h5>

<p><br /> </p>